Need Advice!

Convicted Driver Insurance

LoreleiMunnelly

Hi guys, I am new on this forum. My husband was a taxi driver but because of drink driving, he was banned for driving for one year. This was the worst year of our lives. The first six months were terrible due to imprisonment but the good thing was that my husband was guilty. He was banned for one year and after punishment, he was looking to overcome the length of his driving ban. So, he decided to take Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course to reduce the period of Ban but due to lack of money, he was not able to enrol there.

Finally, we lived a horrible life during ban because we don't have some other good sources of income. :( However, I request all of you to demand from government decrease the fee of rehabilitation courses.

Now, he is on his job and willing to follow all legal procedures. As we have passed a terrible period of our life and now, we don't want to bear any loss. We are looking for a taxi insurance, we want an authority company with cheap rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things in reply.
The government do not set the actual price for a Drink Drive Rehabilitation course. They set the parameters for it, which is between £150 and £250. Companies are allowed to set their price within that range. Some of the variables are because of the high price of hiring a room large enough in a city centre to run a course for 15 people and the equipment that is used. Conversely in rural areas the cost may vary because of the low number of people who are eligible to attend. Weekend courses can add to running costs. It is right that the person who had been convicted of drink driving - and gets the benefit of the reduction in their ban - pays for the full cost of the course and there should not be a government subsidy for them.
Before your husband pays out for taxi insurance he would be wise to check with his local authority to see if they will actually grant him a taxi licence. In my area they would not consider granting one until 5 years have elapsed after a Drink Drive conviction.

i am not sure what your husband did as well as drink driving... 12 months is the minimum ban for a low reading in breath, but 6 months in prison is not going to happen for a low reading. What else was involved, as this may impact on him getting a taxi licence as well.

Who exactly do you want to pay for the cost of a course?? It is optional and only benefits the drink driver. I doubt many would do it for the valuable education if it didn't reduce their sentence

Two things in reply.

Before your husband pays out for taxi insurance he would be wise to check with his local authority to see if they will actually grant him a taxi licence. In my area they would not consider granting one until 5 years have elapsed after a Drink Drive conviction.

:( 5 years that horrible. He is guilty and family has suffered a lot. Your area?

:( 5 years that horrible. He is guilty and family has suffered a lot. Your area?

I am in Shropshire, but it is common for there to be a time to wait before getting a taxi licence after a drink drive conviction. For example, here is the criteria from Reading local authority:
”At least 3 years, after the restoration of the driving licence following a drink drive conviction should elapse before an application will be considered.”
http://www.reading.gov.uk/media/1498/Criminal-Convictions-Policy/pdf/Criminal_Convictions_Policy.pdf

I cannot copy and paste the quote from Telford and Wrekin but that says almost the same, but I am aware in practice that it will normally be 5 years.
http://apps.telford.gov.uk/CouncilAndDemocracy/Meetings/Download/MTU3ODg=

You say it is hard on the applicant and his family, but the local authority, quite rightly, are only concerned with the safety of the passengers and assessing the risk that the driver might pose to them.

As above, the fact that he was a taxi driver before the conviction does not mean that he can just carry on after he gets his licence back. He must inform the local authority of the conviction, and they will consider his suitability.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off