Medical - Very nervous, will keep updating

Convicted Driver Insurance

camc

Hi there, I was banned in Jan 17 for 12 months for refusal to provide. I attended the Rehabilitation course and i can confirm after the nightmare my life has become without a car I will never ever reoffend.

I've got to book my medical on monday, which i've been avoiding doing in order to get longer the CDT levels down.

I'm not a massive drinker anymore, don't drink in the house, but suppose i could be called a binge drinker, drinking 10+ pints (30 units?) usually on a saturday. Its the only day i drink. I used to drink probably 60 units a week until i got caught driving, worked in a club at the time and had that lifestyle.

I was off the drink for ages for another (work related) reason until about 5 weeks ago. Then I went on holiday for 2 weeks and probably destroyed my CDT levels, and had been drinking ech saturday until last saturday when I had a massive drinking session (Old firm day in scotland for you) of probably 15 pints or equivalent.

I only have 3 weeks left as of wednesday to have my medical, so 3 weeks 4 days tee-total to get the cdt levels down.

I don't touch recreational drugs, never complained to my gp or anyone else about drinking too much, although i was at the GP with depression about 4 years ago and was given anti-depressants, that was in 2013. She asked me about drink and IIRC i told her a white lie about it, thankfully, as while i was drinking more than normal it wasn't at problem stages. So if i can get my CDT down I should be ok, however i'm worried as 10+ years of drinking "more than i should" and my new pattern of saturday blow-outs my levels might be extremely high. My plan now is to keep to my one day drinking maximum, and not drive the sunday, keeps things simple.

In turn i'll update about the process for people in my shoes over the next 4-6 weeks.

Any tips?

Hi there!
I have my medical soon too. A bit sooner than I would have liked but had to take the appointment.
Good luck in your abstinence, no tips I'm afraid just trying to get on with it too!!

Hi guys time for my update.

I booked after my first post the medical appointment for the latest date available.

I had all the intentions to stay sober during that time, but i did slip up at times. On 14/10 (my birthday) after needing "space" for the previous week my Mrs of 9 years left me, knowing i'm in her city 300 miles from my family and with few friends and no current employment, and needed to stay off the alcohol for this, lets say I lasted a few days then couldn't escape my thoughts without a drink (apologies for the rant).

So from 29th september - 16th october i had very little to drink, perhaps 5 pints (a few times i stopped in my local for one pint while out doing errands).

16th october I drank a lot, id say 7-10 pints and then 4-5 rum and coke.
17th I had 3 pints
18th I had 3 pints
19th I had 5 pints
20th-23rd i had none
24th I had 7 pints, assuming i'd be failing anyway.

25th I attended the medical. I arrived early and was seen early. It was a private clinic and the doctor was an elderly asian gentleman. Found him to be quite abrupt and unhelpful, not even engaging in small talk which i found irritating because i was so nervous.

I filled out the form and for the most part I was honest. Maybe a few white lies as some questions appear to be trying to catch you out, like how many times a year do you have more than 6 units of alcohol, I can tell you for most social drinkers that's going to be around 52 if they drink on a saturday like me, I bunged this down to 26.

I answered honestly that i have usually "upto" 7 pints when drinking.

I answered that on the 19th I had 5 pints as well.

Anyway that was last wednesday and I was pleased to hear today i'm a full licence holder with a 10 year licence. My car was taxed and insured and waiting so off i went and drove for almost 5 hours straight :D happy that I've not ruined this for myself on the back of my personal problems, as i'd assumed i had.

I managed to wrestle my cdt reading from the poor girl on the phone and they were 0.9.

I really do think if you moderate your consumption you should pass this. And one off binges don't seem to totally scarper your chances either. Good luck everyone, and i'll tell you what, i'm not doing it again

Huge congratulations!!!! It must feel so awesome!
So you had your medical a week after mine and I’m yet to hear anything from them. I’m starting to get really tetchy. I’m fairly sure my blood results will be fine. Just thinking I’m one of those unlucky people that it takes ages for or they are going to request info from my doc. My license is due back in 2 weeks. I need to be driving again!
I hope things settle down for you in life and you can move forward. ?

That’s awesome dude, I rang DVLA today after 4 business days from having my medical and they have all relevant paperwork and my results so I’m just waiting on the outcome.

DVLA are contacting my gp. It’s such a farce and they tell you nothing on the phone. Very frustrating ?

I just contacted the DVLA medial team again and they didn’t really give me much information other than my license has been issued and should be here any day now. I attended my medical exactly a week today, just been on the checklicense.gov and its now valid from next Friday, hope it all works out for you on your date as well my friend (fingers crossed) for you. I have to write to them an ask about my cdt levels, they couldn’t tell me over the phone.

DVLA are contacting my gp. It’s such a farce and they tell you nothing on the phone. Very frustrating ?

Hi mate, did you abstain from drink?

Maybe an answer in your questionnaire has made them want to probe deeper. Also the dotcor gives them a recommendation and he asked me questions not on the dvla paper about alcohol, trying to suss out if i misuse. Could you have slipped up with a question or in conversation?

I had a private cdt without abstaining back in May and it came back at 0.9 so I only abstained completely for 19 days. I don’t drink that heavily anyways, I’m pretty small so I physically can’t drink a lot!!

I did answer yes to the question on having crashed my car. The lady on the phone said everyone’s gp is contacted which is clearly a crock!! All the other questions wouldn’t have flagged anything up.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off