HRO Medical - Abstinence??

Convicted Driver Insurance

stupidgirl

Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you guys could help? I am due to book a medical soon as I'm classed as a HRO (unfortunately) and have just received my license renewal form.

Anyhow, I was drinking probably about 6 bottles of wine (generally red) in a week, for a while (at least a year). Since the start of this year, I now have approximately 2 a week (weekends only) now.

I'm wondering how far back in my system would a medical check, i.e., if I carry on just having my 2 bottles over a weekend, should I be ok?

Thanks guys, any advice would be greatly appreciated x

Hi there,

I can only go on my own experience and I drank a few bottles of wine during the 2 weeks over the Christmas period and into the new year - say 18 December to 4 January and had my medical on 14 January and my CDT level was 2.3 % which is 0.1% over the DVLA requirement which put me in the Amber category.

In order to pass straight through on a CDT level of 2.2% or less I would suggest you abstain for at least 4 weeks. CDT is a test for alcohol use only and nothing else. You can always do a private test first with Medichecks who are advertised on this forum. If you do that before your DVLA medical then you will have peace of mind that you will pass. I did that with them twice and they were great!

I failed and I wouldn't want anyone to go through that experience. I've only just got my licence back now after 2.5 years when it should have been an 18 months ban so take my advice. The only way your CDT level will pass is to consume very little alcohol or none at all and I would suggest the latter.

Hope this helps and I wish you all the best.

My advice is the same. You were drinking a lot. It takes time for cdt levels to reduce. You're not giving it a chance by still drinking over recommend levels. Not having a go as I've been there, but why take this risk. Why not just stop drinking? I think you may have a high cdt baseline which will clearly reduce by cutting back but you are cutting back to a level that is still high. Up to you but most people on here are full if regret not trying to drink to the max possible to get a licence. I suspect you will fail so if I were you I would stop. If you can't see help and don't reapply now. Just my view but if it matters enough stop! As I say not having a go as I get it. Your licence should be important as should others' safety. It's not a game.

Sound device from Sillysooze and Millie, look at this way: you LIKE a drink..... you NEED your licence back, which is the priority? And actually if you need the drink then you are alcohol dependent no may well fail the medical!
i actually cannot say how much I drink, because it varies a lot. In some circumstances I hardly drink anything for a while. On my 2 weeks holiday starting tomorrow I may well drink quite a bit. That is how I know I can take it or leave it.
If you are drink 2 bottles of wine every weekend then is that for social reasons or do you feel you need it? Try doing without it, or addressing why you need that alcohol support. Perhaps you need to view the medical as an opportunity to sort out any alcohol issues, rather than something to fear.
Sermon over, good luck!

Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you guys could help? I am due to book a medical soon as I'm classed as a HRO (unfortunately) and have just received my license renewal form.

Anyhow, I was drinking probably about 6 bottles of wine (generally red) in a week, for a while (at least a year). Since the start of this year, I now have approximately 2 a week (weekends only) now.

I'm wondering how far back in my system would a medical check, i.e., if I carry on just having my 2 bottles over a weekend, should I be ok?

Thanks guys, any advice would be greatly appreciated x

Just wondered how your medical went?

Just wondered how your medical went?

Hi Easter2018,

I have it on Monday! Nerves are kicking in now!

I stopped drinking completely 12th February, and feel great for doing so btw! I also generally drink between 3 - 4 litres water per day.

I will update next week - wish me luck!

Cx

Hi Easter2018,

I have it on Monday! Nerves are kicking in now!

I stopped drinking completely 12th February, and feel great for doing so btw! I also generally drink between 3 - 4 litres water per day.

I will update next week - wish me luck!

Cx

Good luck please let me know how you get on. I have been taking iron tables and should have my medicare result on Wednesday just a pain as I go on holiday today and medical is next Tuesday.

Can I ask what you were drinking before? and have you stopped completely?

XXX

Bit concerned...

Rang DVLA, who confirm that my blood results are back but they have not yet received the questionnaire, as that gets scanned onto system separately from bloods, therefore they cannot disclose the blood results until questionnaire back??

Is this normal procedure?? She sounded extremely stern on phone, even when I asked for a clue (!), she just went silent (snotty cow).

Bit concerned...

Rang DVLA, who confirm that my blood results are back but they have not yet received the questionnaire, as that gets scanned onto system separately from bloods, therefore they cannot disclose the blood results until questionnaire back??

Is this normal procedure?? She sounded extremely stern on phone, even when I asked for a clue (!), she just went silent (snotty cow).

Hi I have mine on Tuesday and due license back on the next Monday they suggested I ask the doctor to fax the questionnaire back and then as I understand it they get the bloods seperately. When I called I spoke to a very nice gentleman so maybe worth trying to call again. I am dreading Tuesday and just hope I have done enough. I am sure you will be fine you gave up for ages. Have you heard of many that failed and why? Take care

Bit concerned...

Hi I hope is all going well, have you heard anything yet? Just off to mine now and like you nerves are definitely there. Let me know any knews I am sure you will be fine. XX

Hi I hope is all going well, have you heard anything yet? Just off to mine now and like you nerves are definitely there. Let me know any knews I am sure you will be fine. XX

Hi have you heard anything yet - they now have my bloods and questionnaire but would not tell me anything? is this normal or have I failed?

This is normal. The Medical Call Centre never really give you much information and certainly not the results of your medical and blood test results. You can get your CDT result if you send an email.

They can inform you over the telephone once a decision has been made so I guess your case is still under review. Try not to worry (easier said than done I know) as it can take a little while, sometimes a couple of weeks. Just keep chasing them, I'm sure they are used to it, I was calling them nearly every day in the end.

Keep us posted and wishing you the best of luck!

Hi all, new to the forum... basically classed as a HRO, have my medical booked for the 22nd of may... went on a stag do on the 29th of April had approx 7 pints really spread out over the day.. totally crapping my pants now as have read some horror stories on here, I'll be honest with the ban I have probably drank too much over the last 6 months but have defiantly calmed down with 0 in the week and a couple of cans at the weekend! I'm hella worried about the medical now and if my levels will be high :-( I have been pretty good for the past 12 weeks apart from a couple of binges with mates! I'm pretty healthy doing weights and cardio daily and eat really clean in the week (not sure if that helps)
I have paid for the medicheck test and was also wondering if this will show high as it's close to the last time I had a drink?

Sorry in advance for the waffle just cacking it a bit as really can't be without a licence anymore

Cheers

m

Based on what you say, I think you will be OK,but be very careful between now and your medical.
Remember, you would LIKE a drink, you NEED your licence back! Let us know the result of the Medicheck test.

Afternoon all, I just thought I would pop a little update on here. so I stopped drinking 3 weeks ago after a binge for a stag do I went on, i had about 7 pints and a few shots.....
did a cdt test through medichecks 2 weeks after and my result came through yesterday (the day of my dlva medical) it was 0.6
so with another week under my belt I would imagine I should pass the dvla on i did yesterday with ease :)

so those who are worried, 3-4 weeks of not drinking at all and you should be fine

M

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted on here but have seen various posts around the CDT Test.
I have had a yearly license for 2 years now and I am due to take my medical on the 27th November.

To cut a long story short I had a Bipolar relapse in the beginning of October. I have not drunk for probably about 3-4 years since quitting completely.
Anyway during this manic episode I made the horrible mistake of drinking over 3-4 days. Naturally I have not had anything since.

This was some binge. But since I have not drunk in such a long time and then abstaining again i suspect the CDT levels will be normal.

What does concern me though is obviously I have filled in the usual questionnaire prior to getting my appointment.

Anyway when the mental health crisis team came to see me once the booze had gone I raised my concerns about said appointment.
Their actual response was "you had a bipolar relapse" there is no need for DVLA to know. Now i have also seen my GP since as obviously they sent the discharge papers from hospital.
My hospital visit consisted of them detoxing me for 2 days and i was discharged on the 3rd after the Crisis Team deemed me fit that I was not going to take my own life.

So to that end I'm not sure what the hell to answer when i go for the medical. I have not seen my GP for over 5 years regarding anything surrounding alcohol.
Only my Bipolar where i have to get my blood pressure taken yearly due to the medication i am on can elevate it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Also apologies to admin......I think I have posted this 3 times

Can anyone tell me what the eye test involves for the dvla medical. I got done for drink driving 9 years ago and have only just tried to re-apply. Apparently i am a high risk offender. I am suppose to where glasses but havent worn them for years other than a pair of reading glasses(not prescription) for reading.

Just thought I'd leave a quick post as I just got my application through from dvla which I'm planning on sending back tomorrow as it seems to take approx 2 weeks for them to reply with medical booking info? Anywayive booked in for a medichecks cdt test next week and I'm planning on abstaining totally in this week before this test so I'm hoping it will give me a baseline. My previous consumption has been around 3/4 bottles of medium strength wine (9%) a week usually over 3 or 4 days spaced out per week.

I'll update on here when I get the results of the medichecks test, hoping to be either clear or in low Amber, but it's all guesswork and I'm probably being very optimistic!

Just really hoping to be able to have my dvla test before Xmas so I can relax about It! Although if not it's no big deal and I'll just take the extra time as a positive for my test, my health and my future driving freedom ?

Last edited:
Just got my medichecks result back and it's 0.8 which is such a relief! Although I am going to continue to be exceptionally careful with my intake and will continue to do so after my dvla test as I'm really motivated by how I'm feeling now I've almost cut alcohol out of my life :) will update again once I've had my dvla medical

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off