DVLA medical -cancelled once

Convicted Driver Insurance
I was due to take my DVLA blood test just before Christmas. I abstained for two months then drank a week before test so cancelled. Booked new appointment for 5th Feb. Got there Doctor was absent and no-one else could do the test. DVLA allowed me to rebook for the 28th Feb. Drank that night (10 units). Then drank again on the 15th Feb to the 18th Feb. 2 bottle of wines 27 units in total I think. Then today had about 9 units. Should I just cancel again?

The fact that you keep cancelling appointments might raise questions with DVLA.
i think you may we’ll be OK on the CDT test with the amount you have drunk in the past month, unless you were drinking lots before but I will say that you have to decide where your priorities are. It is up to you what and when you drink, but with such an important thing in your life as the DVLA medical to get your licence back and your life on track, it seems daft to decide to drink and jeopardise this.... and then ask for advice on what to do. In your shoes I would not have touched a drop of alcohol for weeks before my medical because I would hate the thought of being without my driving licence and would do everything possible to get it back. If you do decide to postpone, no alcohol at all until the new date.........!

Last edited:
Thank you for your positive reply price1367. It was very much appreciated. I did ring the DVLA last week and said work commitments have forced me to cancel my appointment . They advised me that I have until the third week in March take my test so I do not have to withdraw my application which is a relief. So I have a few more weeks to abstain. I really want my licence back. I drank one small glass of white white at a family lunch yesterday. My issue is when I there is a bottle of wine at home. I just fail to leave any in the bottle so am quite able to consume 9/10units in one sitting.My drinking habits were usually one bottle in a sitting every few weeks. I have been totally honest in my alcohol consumption since Christmas so I guess I could be worrying unnecessarily. I will keep you updated.

So I have now had my medical. The Dr was very matter of fact and made very little conversation. He took my blood. Then went through the questions. I said no to everything other than having an accident. He asked me the date and wrote it down. My blood pressure was high 189. He did not take it again. He asked me when did I last have it taken I told him last September when I had my last health check. It was high then as well and they ended up taking it three times. I told him I have maybe 2/3 drinking sessions in a month and do not have more than 2 glasses of wine or prosecco. He asked me when my last drink was I told him last week and it was 2 units. I said I have had one sitting where I drank more than 6 units in the last year. He asked when I told him New Years Eve.
He also asked if I had any tattoos or piercings. I said my ears are pierced. He weighed me. Then I lay on the couch and he felt my liver. It is was quite a funny feeling to me honest. I could feel it sort of moving around under his hand. Is that normal? He check my eye sight by reading out a few letters and listened to my chest and my back with his stethoscope.

Then he told me the sample would be sent to Kings in London and the questionnaire would be posted to dvla.

He also said the whole process will take a long time which I have taken to mean that there will be issues.

I agreed for the results to be send to my Dr and for my medical history to be requested if required.

I also ticked that the outcome be texted to me.

I asked him whether the actual results of the blood test will be sent to me and he said that is something between the DVLA and me.

It took about 40 minutes in total and cost £98.00

I will not be contacting DVLA. They say good things come to those to wait. Fingers crossed.

So, as my licence had not been reinstated by now I decided to ring the DVLA this morning. They advised me that they have written to my GP. After speaking to the practice manager at my Drs I asked DVLA to fax the form and it presently is with a doctor to be completed.So my question is, if I had failed my CDT test would they still approach my doctor or can I see a bright light at the end of the tunnel? I have no concerns about my medical history.

Re: DVLA medical -cancelled once final update

My Doctor completed the questionnaire and faxed it back to DVLA within 24 hours so that was Tuesday. I rang the DVLA to check they had received it they said it could take upto 4 days to be entered onto the system. I rang the next morning (Wednesday) and they asked what fax number had it been faxed to and what time was it faxed? I told them and they had located it by mid morning . Now it was just a waiting game. I rang every two hours until 4.30 which is when the medical team finished. They also escalated my application.

I rang at 8.00am this morning and they said no update but it has been escalated and the medical team had been in since 6/7.00 in the morning. I rang back at 10.15. No update. They rang me back ten minutes later saying a full licence had been issued and I can drive after midnight.

I will be sending them an email to allow me to see the reports and to find out what my CDT reading was. I did not abstain and my last drink was four days before the test. It was two units.

To be honest I was really impressed the DVLA team. I am sure they knew when I was ringing and were so tolerant and patient.

I do think you need to call and call and call if you want quick results. I really did not want this to drag over the Easter bank holiday. I have told my manger and I can now be considered for a more senior role which is great.

I am so relieved. The last few months have been so hard. This site has been really helpful but I would also advise to read reports and look at other sites for information. Price I wish I had found you before Christmas because I would have done the test then but everything happens for a reason. Will definitely having champagne when it arrives.

Now what will it be a Mercedes Mclaren or Aston Martin???????

Re: DVLA medical result

Hello again - today I received the reports relating to my medical. My reading was 0.9. I did not abstain from drinking completely and drank moderately which really do not do my nerves any good to be honest.

I am glad this is over now. I hope that on the occasions that I return to this site it will be to provide support to others rather than seeking it for myself. I wish everyone else the best of luck in getting their licences back.

Goodbye!

Hi I am due to have my medical mid December and I stopped drinking in February so I'm not worried about that part of the test but I was wondering if you could tell me if you had to have a urine test at all?

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards

Only if there is something in your answers on the questionnaire that warrants a urine sample. Otherwise it it not a routine thing.

Hi I am due to have my medical mid December and I stopped drinking in February so I'm not worried about that part of the test but I was wondering if you could tell me if you had to have a urine test at all?

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards
Hello, I did not have a urine test just a blood test and an examination.

They will ask for a urine if you disclose, or they have reason to suspect, misuse of illegal drugs or prescription meds.

With prescription meds if you are taking them as prescribed, even if they have drug drive limits, then that is acceptable.

They will ask for a urine if you disclose, or they have reason to suspect, misuse of illegal drugs or prescription meds.

With prescription meds if you are taking them as prescribed, even if they have drug drive limits, then that is acceptable.
Brill thank you both for your replies

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off