Query Related to Car MOT,Tax

Convicted Driver Insurance

firemansam007

Well Known Member
Hello,

I will put my query short.
Banned until end of December for Fail to Provide.
Car is declared SORN and cancelled insurance. kept on driveway.
MOT runs until end of June.
Once the ban is up, i can arrange insurance, but for buying Tax it needs a valid MoT. For getting an MoT need to take the car to the garage.

What options i have to get the car Taxed and MoTed (it's like a chicken and egg situation) when nearing the end of the ban.

Thanks,

Sam

You can drive the vehicle directly to and from a pre arranged MOT test without car tax. You are right, it is a chicken and egg situation and the law allows for this. After all, you are driving your car to its MOT without an MOT aren’t you? In this case the law on no tax is sensible.
Take the SORN off, and do tax the vehicle for the day it is MOT’d because that counts as use on the road. In other words, if the MOT is on the 28th of the month, don’t be tempted to tax it from the first of the next month because you need tax for any part of the month that the vehicle was used on a road.

Hi Price,

Thanks for the response.

You can drive the vehicle directly to and from a pre arranged MOT test without car tax. You are right, it is a chicken and egg situation and the law allows for this. After all, you are driving your car to its MOT without an MOT aren’t you? In this case the law on no tax is sensible.

Sorry, I am not very clear on this, am i allowed legally drive to a prearranged MOT without Tax and MOT

Take the SORN off, and do tax the vehicle for the day it is MOT’d because that counts as use on the road. In other words, if the MOT is on the 28th of the month, don’t be tempted to tax it from the first of the next month because you need tax for any part of the month that the vehicle was used on a road.

For taking the SORN off/taxing the vehicle, i need a valid MoT certificate, which i will only be getting if i book an MoT, drive without MoT/Tax to the text centre, get the MoT done and tax it straight away. please confirm. If i am allowed to drive to an MoT test centre without Tax/MoT, i will get the MoT done and then straight away Tax it from Post office counter and then drive back. Is that right?

Thanks for your help and response.

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are correct. Just make sure that you have pre booked the MOT and only drive straight there. This IS allowed.
You could have a problem with taxing it online the same day as their database may not show the valid MOT straight away but if you drive to the Post Office you will be able to take the SORN off and tax the car by showing he current MOT certificate (and insurance)
The alternative could be to get someone to take it for MOT before you are able to drive, on a trailer, that solves the issue of being in a rush, no need to remove the SORN for this and also the possible problem should the car fail the MOT. You would have time to get it put right ready for the end of your ban......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off