HRO Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Tebbsy

Thought I would let anyone who hasn't booked their medical yet know about my experience with DVLA. I got my renewal form 3 months before the end of my ban and duly sent it back with a postal order. I called a week later to be told it wasn't on the system but it could take 3 weeks to update. I called a few days later to be told they now had the details and had sent me a letter which would also be sent to the nominated doctor. I was then told to contact the doctor at least 4 days after I received my letter. I waited a week. No letter. Called again to be told that Royal Mail can take 3 WEEKS! to deliver it!!! I then found out that you can ask for the doctors details to check lead times for the medical. This I duly did and they told me the earliest appointment would be 4 weeks and there was only 1 left. After this it would be 5 weeks. They then told me that if I ask DVLA to fax the doctors letter to them they will. I called DVLA and 2 HOURS later the docs had the info!! I had no alternative but to book in case I lost the appointment but this is 4 weeks before the end of my ban so if they need more info or cock something up which is very possible I will be screwed. I then thought that they must have more registered doctors where I could get an earlier appointment so I called DVLA back and asked if I could use another doctor. They said yes no problem then asked me if I had already booked the appointment. I said yes. They then said because of that I can't cancel and go to another doctor!! If I had known this I would have tried other surgeries before I confirmed and may have got an earlier appointment.

I am not posting to whine or complain. I am in this position due to actions by myself that could have got myself or someone else killed that night. I just want to let anyone in the same situation to me know that you can get things done more quickly but DVLA won't necessarily enlighten you about it.

Thanks for telling us about your experience, it must be very frustrating for you. It will not be Royal Mail taking 3 weeks, they probably use another delivery company and Royal Mail just do “the last mile”. It saves. DVLA a couple of pence each time,

but causes huge frustration for the person forced to wait for important information.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off