DVLA are paying for my medical??

Convicted Driver Insurance

RoughShift

Alright folks.
So I’m a HRO, applied to get my licence back 3yrs ago.. went done urine test paid £120 to
Do so.. then I got a letter saying there was a mistake and the it should have been a blood test and that the DVLA would cover the cost of the 2nd medical. After speaking with my GP asfter these test I was advised to have 12month drug free and apply again. I had lost my licence for having drugs in my system yet on my record it’s says it was alcohol even though I passed the breath test roadside and was not given one at the station.

Fast forward 3 years and having worked extremely hard at soberiety I am going through the process again. I sent the £90 off with The D1 form. The 2weeks later got the medical questionairre thru the door, I discussed this with my GP (who
May or may not have been contacted by now as they did ask for his details) anyway sent that off answering all questions as honestly as I could. That was nearly 3wks ago, a few days ago I got the expected details of a DVLA approved doctor and to make an appoint for a witnessed urine screen. I have 6weeks to do this. I’m gonna wait about 3wks and stay away from friends who smoke weed heavily just to doubly sure. (I do NOT wanna mess this up over 2nd hand smoke) anyway.. what’s surprising me the most it.. I don’t have to pay!! The DVLA are covering the cost of the medical and I don’t know why. I’m hardly gonna phone and sound like I’m complaining I mean it is what it is. I can only think it may be related to my efforts a few years ago where they messed up and sent me for 2medicals. Anyone any experience like this ?

Your situation sounds all strange to me, you will have to take a blood test and not urine at an approved DVLA doctors, and highly doubt the DVLA would pay for your medical tbh, mine was £98.50, I’d double check you don’t have to pay for it as you could be surprised when asked to cough up £100

The exact phrasing on my letter is as follows “We will make payment for the medical examination but not your travelling or other expenses.”

Like I said in original post I was sent for a urine test back in 2014 which cost me over £100 at the time then had to go back for a blood test which the DVLA paid for then saying they were at fault. This recent letter mentions nothing of a blood test, only a urine. I passed a blood test 3years ago but obviously failed the urine somehow.
It’s does all sound rather strange to me aswell. I lost my licence for drugs yet when I check my licence online it says it’s a Dr20-driving or attempting to drive while unfit through alcohol... even though I was never breath tested at the station. So technically that ban is wrong!! There’s been a mess up somewhere either with cops, courts or DVLA themselves. For now I’m just gonna go along to my medical... not ask why I don’t have to
Pay.. if their saying they are picking up the tab that’s on them. Il ask questions later and
May even get a solicitor to look into the technical aspects of that dr20... because as it’s worded it’s a 100% wrong.

Just phoned the medical group.. it’s only a urine screen and they ARE paying for it, think she basically said it was due to the past errors and inconvenience (didn’t think they gave a crap) anyway.. onwards to medical now regardless. Have no issues or worries for it

Went for medical yesterday. Was very quick & easy. The doc filled in the exact same questionnaire that the DVLA sent previously. Then i provided a urine sample with him standing in the doorway. Few more questions after that about current prescriptions etc a quick check of my arms (I’m a recovering heroin addict) & I was on my way. No eye test, no blood pressure took or anything. I’v done this before & I had to strip half naked.. not this time. I’m guessing they are only want to find
Out if I still take illicit drugs. Anyway, no
Worries about the test & I only receive 1 prescription - a very low dose of a common anti-depressant. I did ask him
If he had any idea why the DVLA were paying for it but he was unsure. He told me that it was actually quite common for the alcohol test but I was his first ever drug test that he had done where the DVLA are picking up
The tab. So im looking at that as a positive, when I phoned about that to the DVLA directly the girl on the phone just said something about helping get me back on the road - so it’s still pretty unclear why they would pay for it. So now it’s fingers crossed I hear something
Next week. Maybe even get my licence back
that soon after reading loads of posts on here all saying that driver status had changed only a week after medical. If they wanna get a note from my GP then I’m still probably a few weeks away from that yet. I sent them my GP’s details a month ago when
They wrote to me asking. Maybe they have already been
In contact with him, but I’m sure they tell
You beforehand. Won’t hurt to get see him
In the meantime & once again let him
Know life’s all good & I’m taking recovery seriously.

I’m receiving a medical soon I don’t have to pay for and I’m an HRO. I paid for and passed both urine and blood, but failed questionnaire, so I’m inclined to put it down to that?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off