CRB Check

Convicted Driver Insurance

Milton

I recently applied for a menial job with my local Council that did require driving among many other things.
I passed the interview and was offered the job subject to a CRB check on my past record.
Luckily the Council paid for my CRB check as some employers expect the applicant to pay.
Anyway, I received the CRB report two months after the interview and was surprised.
I was prosecuted and banned for drink driving just over 30 years ago and I have no other
convictions.
The CRB disclosed the drink driving conviction despite it being over 30 years ago.
I thought such convictions were wiped off after 11 years if there were no other convictions.
Obviously my recent CRB proves this is not the case.
I wasn't offered the job despite passing the interview and the Council comfirmed it was
due to my CRB report and the drink driving conviction.
Where do I go from here?

If that is your only conviction then you are right that is should have been weeded from your DBS check after 11 years.
If the council have put it in writing that you have not got the job because of a spent conviction then it is open to you to take legal action against you. If they only hinted at it, then yo7 might have a problem proving that the conviction was the reason for not getting the job.

Thanks Price for your kind and helpful reply.

I was prosecuted 40 years ago for driving without due care and attention.
I didn't mention it with my original posting because it wasn't shown on my recent CRB report.
I thought after 40 years it would have been well and truly spent.
I assume that's why my drink driving conviction from 30 years ago remains on my CRB report.
Oh well, such is life I will have to live with these convictions for life.
I will now apply for jobs that don't involve driving and see what happens.

Due care and attention is not a criminal conviction so should not show up anyway, and would not be the reason for the drink driving still showing.
if you are really keen on this job, you could try a complaint to DBS, the link is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organ...nd-barring-service/about/complaints-procedure

Then approach the council again with a clear DBS. You might want to d9 this anyway, in case it has an effect on a future job application. Note that the complaint has to be within 3 months of the certificate being issued.

Hi and thanks again for your advice.

I mistakenly thought that all motoring offences were criminal apart from speeding and parking!

Regarding the job with the Council, someone else was offered the job so it's too late to complain.
However, I will take your advice into account should this happen again with any jobs I apply for
in the future.
I will try to find out why my drink driving conviction wasn't wiped from my CRB. I suspect it was some kind
of clerical / admin error.

Due to all this I have my doubts about the validity of CRB checks.

A good example would be Jimmy Savile. Although his offences had nothing to do with motoring, if he had
undergone a CRB check he would have passed with flying colours.

Interesting food for thought.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off