Medical coming up!

Convicted Driver Insurance

miserable

So my medical is coming up on the 18th Oct. I don't class myself as a heavy drinker but I do binge at weekends.
Had a binge on Saturday (it was a friends party so more than a regular binge) I must have had 12-14 units in one night. Phoned to book my medical today and the latest date they had was the 18th so I'm just gonna have to go with it.
I normally drink 12-16 units per week. I had a private cdt test down back in May for which I did not abstain at all to get a baseline and it came back at 0.9%. Still nervous though!!
Anyone else got medicals coming up who wants to join me in my anxiety/misery??? ?

Hi

If you need a little bit longer to have a period of time abstaining - which is the very best option. You can contact the DVLA and ask for details of other doctors and see if you can delay for a few weeks. I would do this - there will be several doctors in your area and this may mean make or break for you. Sorry to sound negative but you need to give your body enough time to adjust without alcohol - I know its a pain waiting but i hurried my medical 4 months ago and got my licence refused after not abstaining. I was only drinking a glass of wine a night and more at the weekends. Once it was refused I decided to give it up and with the exception of a holiday in July I have refrained from drinking. My second medical was yesterday and I am 99% confident of a positive result. I have never felt better. I think you should see if you can delay your medical to give your blood results the very best chance matey.

Let us know how you get on - best of luck whatever you decide!

Hi there!
Thanks for your reply. I don't drink at all during the week. I tend to have a few on a Friday and Saturday and that's it really. Although I did unfortunately exceed my normal amounts last weekend that's the exception and not the rule. I use the Drinkaware app and most weeks do not exceed ten units.....some weeks as much 14 but again those are the exception and not the rule.
I don't really have the option to change it, i start my new job the following week so I'm kind of stuck with that date. ? Based on my last CDT, for which I did not abstain (and I had the blood taken after my birthday party!) I'm hoping it'll be okay. I don't really have a choice at this point ?

Did you abstain at all before the medical?

Hi

I abstained for a month - and before that I have been severely decreasing my intake of alcohol. I was really only drinking at weekends and had a shandy or spritzer at the most on the weekends for 8 weeks.

I wish you lots of luck :0) Its an awaful situation we are in but we are nearly there!!

If I were you i would abstain right up until the 18th to give you a really good chance!

Last edited:
Yeah I'm going to abstaining until the 18th which I don't really mind to be honest. A break is never a bad thing. Boredom tends to my downfall though ?

Keep me posted on how you go. What was your CDT reading on your last medical?

Good good. To be honest I dont know - I was drinking but not heavily - Im confident of a good result this time though.

I just got through a weekend without drinking a drop! Despite sitting round my kitchen table with my family and friends all getting pissed. Feels pretty good I have to say. ??

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off