drink driving ban for 3 years and medical due soon which worries me cause of past

Convicted Driver Insurance

bullit13

hi

i am currently banned from driving for 3 years for drink driving in the uk and the disqualification is meant to be up on dec 5th this year. basically ive started to read into this and due to the fact i have a medical coming up and the fact they access my gp records i am worried that because it is noted on my records i am a binge drinker ( tho may i state not often ) and also that i have used cocaine quite frequent over a short period of time in december/jan this year( but still mention of it in on files in start of march stating ceased use in the last few weeks) and also i have a long term history of cannibis use which now i have managed to knock it all on the head permanently(on record since start january 2017) i want to know where i stand in going for my medical?
i have read that once there is multiple substance misuse or dependency they dont include me in on the compatible or fitness to drive again?
i have looked for information as to how long this goes on if its not indefinete to see what is on offer for me as i didnt really reaise the concequences of explaining to my doctor that this would bring as its recorded.
i have managed to work for myself this last 3 years but i feel my business will just collapse if i can no longer see an end to this so amy advice or information would be very much appreciated.
thanks

a 3 year ban is quite hefty...was it a 2nd offence?

Either way your GP records will determine getting your licence back and you will need to show 12 months abstinence from alcohol and most likely the same with drugs....so with your current GP records I would only attempt to apply until you can show that.

yep, you will need minimum 12 months of documented abstinence for both.... then you will get a 1 year licence which you will after re-apply for through the medical process again.

you really need to stop drink/drugs altogether and build a positive relationship with your GP to give you a chance of getting your licence back.

i am fully aware that i need to quit it all altogether, to be honest its not much of a problem at the moment although this info is all a little depressing though not that bad where i feel like sayin to hell with it all. i will get there casue as i said in the first post i dont want to lose my business that ive managed to set up whilst being banned so its just carry on as i have been and hopefully things will come good.
do you think that if i get tested very soon and obv providing tests are all good (which should no doubt be ) will they look at the last documented period ie. jan2017 will they treat it as bein clean from then even though the next documented evidence will be 6/7 months later?
also ive asked in another thread how do they look upon me not going for my medical when my ban is up ( obv because i know i wont be accepted) do they frown upon it especially when i eventually get round to it they will see the reason why and it being that there is documented misuse which would revoke my application?
cheers

Get to your doctor and tell them you packed it all in when you last seen him. The GP may test you for drugs but for alcohol you'll need to take your own CDT test and provide the results as evidence to him. Then hope they trust you and put it on your medical record that your abstinent.

That's where you need to start.

Hello,

I was trying to reply to your last message in your other thread but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

Just wanted to say that if your ban is up in December 2017 and you have on record that your last drink was in January 2017 then you can apply for your licence in December. The DVLA will send you an application form 90 days before your ban is up which will be in October. You can wait until December before you send the application off as it takes up to 3 months for them to process, that's why then send the application 90 days prior.

You send off your application form then about 2 weeks later they will send you a letter inviting you to attend the medical. They give you 6 weeks to attend the medical anyway so there's plenty of time.

If you stay off the booze then your CDT level will be a straightforward pass. You could always do a private CDT test for peace of mind but if you've been abstinent then you will get the green light.

Good luck.

hey, thanks for your reply. its actually start of dec ban is up so will be sept when i get anything from them. i am not concerened about drink at all as i know i will pass this easily it is more the drugs ( not cause i am still taking them ) but more the last mention of it on my file ( ie said ceased use in the last few weeks at start of march). i am going to do a CDT test soon anyway and get the doc to test me for drugs which should also be clear but since there's been only my word and no evidence they may not accept my word.
i will say regarding you saying not to send in the documents until dec what if i just hold off until end of dec ( if it takes 90 days ) then 12 months will have passed since the last recorded use? am just worried they may think am playing a game or will they just look at it like i know what there guidelines is hence why ive held off? i dont even mind paying the medical twice and apply straight away and confess but then id be worried they might make me wait another 12 months from the date i take the medical? its all a royal mess and its hard to know the best way to deal with it. i appreciate all the info from everyone as its certainly give me a starting point at least.

cheers

Hi there,

You can apply in December as it takes so long you will have been clean 12 months by the time you get your licence. Its definitely not worth taking the medical twice. DVLA won't try and second guess why you have held off, they are only interested in the facts.

My 12 months abstinence was up on 6 February 2017. I applied on 1 December 2016 and my licence was issued on 8 January 2017.

Good luck with yours. Let us know how you get on.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off