No idea what to do

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mumisworried

My son just s 18 and only been driving for 6 months. Caught yesterday for drink driving. Breath test at roadside was 115. Court date on 20th July. What do I need to do? Does he need a solicitor? Will he get legal aid? He's only just left college and still lives at home.

Oh dear, well, he is looking at sizeable driving ban, guidlines suggest around the 2-2.5 yrs mark and unpaid work. High risk offender with the DVLA i think also.

He could get a solicitor but could use the duty solicitor its just mitigation really that they could help with if he is planning to plead guilty. If there are good ways to introduce mitigation a solicitor can do that for him but really all he can do is be remorseful, take a few character letters and take it on the chin.

That was a high reading, he was three and a half times the legal limit. The punishment will be a severe one. At 4 times the limit your question would have been "how long will he go to jail for?"

His driving ban will be significant, he may wish to reflect on his relationship with alcohol in that time

Thank you. Silly silly boy. I just can't get over how stupid he has been. I'm so worried about him now as he's very depressed and barely talking. I'm glad he's realised what a huge mistake he's made but as a parent you never want to see your child suffering. He's going to get some character references from school and the two part time jobs he's had. I know it won't change the outcome, but other than this he's never been in trouble before. Good student, brilliant work ethic, kind and popular. Everyone keeps saying at least no one got hurt, which I agree is the most important thing, but the consequences of this are huge. I can't bear the thought of him having a criminal record at age 18. We are a sensible family and no one has been in trouble with the police before. So this is all new and very scary for us. Thanks for the advice.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off