D B S check, please help!

Convicted Driver Insurance

ellen1

about 3 years ago I was convicted and banned for 18 month for DD. All of a sudden our company decided to do D B S checks, although my profession has nothing to do with teaching or driving or anything at all that this conviction could be relevant to. I've been with the company for a long time, they have checked just management before and some people connected to security areas, which I am not. All of a sudden they are checking all of us. I don't know what check they are doing, basic, standard or enhanced ( i doubt it is enhanced), will it still show on it? even though it is totally irrelevant to the industry. I don't know if I am going to be told off for that, but it is just a shame of it, going through it again, I have not told them, and now they are going to dig these skeletons in my wardrobe out. Can I refuse this check? Or I just have no choice? Been with the company for 15 years (sure they checked me prior to employment). What will they see in this check?
Surely, if you are a teacher or a bus driver, or security etc. they need to properly look at various offences, but I don't see how this - my private shame needs to be dragged out now, when it doesn't affect the job or area of work.

It'll show up on an enhanced one regardless of being spent, but they only usually do that if working with vulnerable people or security things ect, then again i'm sure some companies do it just to be nosey.

Last edited:
It'll show up on an enhanced one regardless of being spent, but they only usually do that if working with vulnerable people or security things ect, then again i'm sure some companies do it just to be nosey.

Thank you for your reply Over, so will it show on Basic or Standard? I am nowhere near the children or vulnerable people or driving company car. So, do you think I should wait and see, if it shows, or go now and spill the beans and get this pain all over again. It was my private mistake, not relevant to this employment at all. Can I actually refuse to do it? what are my rights? or should I wait and see? or tell?

You have nothing to hide that would effect your job and I would not worry about it as they did not ask you on interview or job application if you had any convictions spent or unspent. Like you said it's just your own embarrassment of them finding out which is the worry, but that will pass.

happened to me last year, enhanced dibs, work with children in a good job, it through up many possession of class a drugs and shoplifting from my misspent youth and drink driving from 2 years ago. boss just said you've had an interesting life when I handed the dbs over.

all ok now though!

You have nothing to hide that would effect your job and I would not worry about it as they did not ask you on interview or job application if you had any convictions spent or unspent. Like you said it's just your own embarrassment of them finding out which is the worry, but that will pass.

happened to me last year, enhanced dibs, work with children in a good job, it through up many possession of class a drugs and shoplifting from my misspent youth and drink driving from 2 years ago. boss just said you've had an interesting life when I handed the dbs over.

all ok now though!

thank you for your kind reply.
I know, it might not affect my job. But I am not even applying for a job, been here for 15 years, but this incident sadly happened 3 years ago. I've not told anybody, apart from one close friend. All of a sudden they decide to do these checks, I guess because they have nothing better to do. It is absolutely unnecessary, I don't even have an access to some sort of secure areas, I think they are over-doing it, just to be feel better about themselves. What if I refuse? They will suspect something of cause, but at least I might not need to explain, they cannot fire me for refusing.
It's just thought this nightmare was finally over, done and dusted, got my license back, suffered painful long journeys to work for 18 months, learned my lessons, and now it's all coming back all over again. It's absolutely no relevance to my employment.

thank you for your kind reply.
I know, it might not affect my job. But I am not even applying for a job, been here for 15 years, but this incident sadly happened 3 years ago. I've not told anybody, apart from one close friend. All of a sudden they decide to do these checks, I guess because they have nothing better to do. It is absolutely unnecessary, I don't even have an access to some sort of secure areas, I think they are over-doing it, just to be feel better about themselves. What if I refuse? They will suspect something of cause, but at least I might not need to explain, they cannot fire me for refusing.
It's just thought this nightmare was finally over, done and dusted, got my license back, suffered painful long journeys to work for 18 months, learned my lessons, and now it's all coming back all over again. It's absolutely no relevance to my employment.

A drink drive conviction will show up on a basic check for 5 years from the date of your conviction.
You would have to look at your contract to see what it says about having to submit to police checks but they are sometimes required for not obvious reasons. It could be that your company has secured a contract with a government agency where there is a requirement to ensure that all employees have been police checked before they will exchange information with your company.
I would have thought that your company should have consulted staff and given reasons for extending their checks from management down to all staff, but not all firms are good at internal discussion!
Your problem is that as soon as you start saying "I have rights, you can't make me do this...." everyone thinks; "She has something to hide" so it draws attention to you anyway. Much though you must find it frustrating, I would listen to the earlier advice you have had from splodger, it is a big deal for you, but may not be much of a deal for the HR manager who deals with the disclosure. It should remain confidential. It is the speculation when you challenge the right to carry out the checks that is liable to lead to gossip.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off