Drugs and alcohol query

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi all,

Following a very very dark time in my life I made some very poor decisions. Decisions I made with a close friend, a good man, who sadly made a number of slightly worse decisions that he didn't make it through, decisions which resulted in his death. I was able to turn my life around and I am pleased to say the public are safe from me now. Please don't judge me, its the past, i know what i did was truly awful :(

Summer 2015

Long story short I crashed my car, blew clean for alcohol but was nicked for unfit through drugs, had blood taken, and they ultimately detected cannabis, anti-depressants and a benzodiazapine.

Was kept in the cells for a few days under mental health grounds on suicide watch but was released after a few days when i agreed to visit my gp and made an appointment in the arresting officers presence. He had spoken to my GP at length following my arrest and had already booked an appt for me, unknown to me it was all organised already, the police officer was taking me straight to my GP upon my release, he just wanted to see i was wanting to get help.

When I was with my GP he was very helpful, helped me sort myself out, but he asked about alcohol use and i said i had been drinking heavily for a few weeks. Also that i had taken a benzo tablet on one occasion. We had a plan in place, things went very well, went to court a few months later. They removed the cannabis charge as they had detected a metabolite (THC-COOH) which isn't active so cant impair so i pleaded guilty to the AD and the benzo. Got a 12 month ban which was amazing as i expected custody as did my solicitor.

Fast forward nearly 2 years and..

Ban has eneded, my problems are over and im sorted, holding down a full time job now, single parent to my kid, not drunk or taken any drugs since that fateful summer in 2015 and obviously have applied for my driving licence.

DVLA wrote to my GP and as a result of that are sending me for a medical assessment.

Now I don't know what to say about this....this is where i need advice i think.

The drinking seems easy, i dont drink, i havent drink a single drop of alcohol since 2015 so im going to fly through the CDT test and answer no to every alcohol question. Does this make sense to people?

But what do i say about the drugs?

Will they know i had taken cannabis? I didn't tell my GP about this but will the police or the court have? Should I tell them?
My GP did know i had taken the benzo and he wrote in my file in late 2015 "reported self-prescribing with xanax" so im guessing the DVLA will have asked about drugs and he will have said I had taken a benzo. I was also taking zopiclone (prescribed) and i think thats a benzo too.

Looking at the questionnaire it will ask about drug use in the past 3 years.

So do i tell them the truth exactly as it happened but they will see the benzo and probably refuse me or give me a 1 year licence! Is that what will happen?

Or alternatively do i say no to all the drug questions? It has been more than 12 months since there was last any evidence of my using a benzo and if i say no what can they do even if there is evidence from my gp what i said i have? I know this is lying to them but i am not to know that it was a benzo, it was just a tablet my friend said would calm me down, i had no idea what it was, i only know what he told me. So in the face of there being no evidence of drug use for over 18 months, and no alcohol use at all, would they refuse me if i said no to the drugs questions?

This is scary and confusing because there is no drug use at all, and everyone is saying to tell them as little as possible, but will they just refuse me if i say no to everything?

I dont know what to do for the best :(

First, whatever you say on your questionnaire must not be different to anything medical professionals know about you.

You need your doctor on your side to back up facts of when you last drunk or took drugs.

Your fitness to drive will be based on your lifestyle over the last 12 months. So if you are doing well and your doctor says so, no ilegal drugs no alcohol and any medication is not impairing your fitness to drive you will be ok.

I wouldn't worry about a 12 month licence as that is a formality and as long as your doctor says your ok all will be good.

Good luck

Ok, so at the time I just said I took a Xanax, GP didn't know what that was. DVLA might but I might not know what it is, like I'm just some random, its not unreasonable for me not to know that a Xanax is a benzo so its lying but its not a wild crazy lie and I'm still declaring it but in terms of damage limitation can I tick no to the illict drugs and no to the benzo question but say I took a friends sleeping tablet on one occasion, and say it was called a xanax, in the "any other drugs" section? This will mean I can tick no to the benzo question but I'm still telling them what my gp has told them?

What about the dope? I never told my GP but do you think the old bill would have? Do I tell them something they might not already know or risk it looking like I am hiding something? and if the latter what would they do about that do you think?

Does a 1 year licence mean I can still say I have a full UK licence for insurance purposes?

I wish they did a drug test as part of the medical, that would be amazing and prove there aren't any issues :(

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off