CDT test results - major difference

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi everybody. I feel like I'm stuck in some kind of Kafka nightmare.

I had a CDT blood test with Medichecks recently which came back as 1.1%. This is what I expected as I have been abstinent for a while. To be sure though I had a test done with the NHS.

Here's where is gets weird. It came back as 4.1% which indicates heavy alcohol use!

I am finding it very hard to find somebody to speak to about this.

Any ideas as to why they are so wildly different?

I had a CDT blood test with Medichecks recently which came back as 1.1%. This is what I expected as I have been abstinent for a while. To be sure though I had a test done with the NHS.

Here's where is gets weird. It came back as 4.1% which indicates heavy alcohol use!

Have you double checked with the NHS that they are correct. Possible typo maybe? That is a BIG difference. What was your alcohol consumption between the two? What is your alcohol consumption generally.

There are other private CDT tests you could take as a comparison.

All the feedback on the forum suggest the CDT Test from Medichecks is accurate and produces the same if not very similar results to NHS, other private tests and the DVLA medical CDT test.

Last edited:
Hi - thanks for replying. I have asked them to double check and it is 4.1 according to the NHS.

Alcohol intake has been 0 since New Years Eve. And moderate shortly before with a long tapering before that. So no difference in between tests and samples taken were only a few days apart.

To their credit Medichecks have said they'll investigate but have yet to get back to me.

In the meantime I'm trying to get some tests for liver disease even though I have no symptoms whatsoever. My GP is on holiday and nobody will discuss my blood test with me? Can you believe that? My blood test. No. They won't do that. Why the hell not?

How did u get on

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off