Medical CDT

Convicted Driver Insurance
May as well start a thread for worrying folk that may be in the same position I am in.

Male
Reasonably active walking, gym, and work is active.

Had a massive binge one week before Christmas and on Christmas and on New Years day I had one can of beer after a long family walk, It's now 6.01.17 my medical is on 26.1.17. I can't re book my medical as I desperately need to drive again or its a case of being sacked. This is giving me roughly 3.5 weeks to lower my cdt levels. Previous to the Christmas binge I drank in November at a wedding.

I occasionally have a binge on things like birthdays weddings christmas etc.
Do not drink anything at all other than above, never through the week not even a quiet few beers, I'd rather pig out on junk food than sit in a pub drinking.

Today I walked 5 miles, and started taking milk thistle and vit c tablets I'm also going to drink 3-5litres of water every day. I'm going to follow this routine right up to the point I need to give blood.

I'll report back with the results as soon as I hear anything.

Due To drive mid February.

May as well start a thread for worrying folk that may be in the same position I am in.

Male
Reasonably active walking, gym, and work is active.

Had a massive binge one week before Christmas and on Christmas and on New Years day I had one can of beer after a long family walk, It's now 6.01.17 my medical is on 26.1.17. I can't re book my medical as I desperately need to drive again or its a case of being sacked. This is giving me roughly 3.5 weeks to lower my cdt levels. Previous to the Christmas binge I drank in November at a wedding.

I occasionally have a binge on things like birthdays weddings christmas etc.
Do not drink anything at all other than above, never through the week not even a quiet few beers, I'd rather pig out on junk food than sit in a pub drinking.

Today I walked 5 miles, and started taking milk thistle and vit c tablets I'm also going to drink 3-5litres of water every day. I'm going to follow this routine right up to the point I need to give blood.

I'll report back with the results as soon as I hear anything.

Due To drive mid February.

Hi there
I got a result of 1.0% with 23 whole dry days. Previous to my abstinence I was drinking a bottle of wine a day just about everyday, about 8-10 units a day. I too took milk thistle and a lot of other supplements (artichoke, turmeric and ginger). There's no scientific evidence that any of these work but they certainly can't hurt. I also upped my water intake considerably. All I would say is to be careful with very high water consumption..it is possible to OD on water and don't waste your money on vitamin C tablets. Ascorbic acid is water soluble and will just be flushed out of your body by all that water. Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg and you'll get all the vitamin C that you need along with all the other nutrients found in your 5 or 7 or 9 a day.

Just stay off the booze until your medical and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Good luck!

Hi I'm new to this site & need some help or advise for the medical test

Am I correct in thinking it just the test for CDT or is all test for GGT , MCV , ALT AST as shown below

Also do they contact your doctor for medical records

GGT (Gamma GT) - Gamma-glutamyl transferase
MCV (Mean Cell Volume) - Increased red blood cell size
ALT - Alanine aminotransferase & AST - Aspartarte aminotransferase.
The Secretary of State's Honorary Medical Advisory Panel has now decided that use of the CDT (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin) biomarker will now be used as the sole test for assessing the harmful use of alcohol for high risk offenders.

You are correct, it is now solely a CDT test.
it may depend on the outcome of the CDT test on if your doctor is contacted.
the medical panel will review what you put on the questionnaire that you fill in. If they have concerns from that, they will contact your GP
if your reading is between 2.3 and 2.9% they will contact your GP. Above that and they are likely to refuse your licence back at that time, just on the CDT outcome.

You will get your licence back in the post.... or a letter telling you that you have failed. The timescale varies according to if DVLA decide to contact you'd doctor for further information.
you can ring them now and ask what the result is, some people have reported getting their licence back in only a week but for others the process has taken 6-8 weeks. Chase them on the phone for a result.

Phoned up today and got an answer. I passed my medical!! My licence is in the post and my ban ends on the 19th of this month.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone for answering my questions and giving me support through such a horrible time.

Pleased for you, thanks for letting us know, we only tend to hear about long delays!

Hi guys, I have my medical on 6/2/17. I would say I'm slightly overweight, don't do much exercise and haven't cut down on bad food. All I have really done is drank milk thistle for the last 2 weeks and I always drink a lot of water anyway. I have not had a drink in 13 weeks. But before the last 13 weeks I was drinking around 4 pints of Stella every day for around 3 years, not dependent, just habit and routine. I'm nervous but I'm hoping get a Green result as I need my licence in 3 weeks as the job I've been offered is a driving job. So I NEED to pass with Green result. By the time any of you see this I will probably already have had the medical. I will post again with the result for those that are curious.

And the result was.....? I would expect you to pass the CDT part, so unless there are any other issues shown on the medical or the questionnaire you should be fine. Ring DVLA in 7 days and chase them for a result.

And the result was.....? I would expect you to pass the CDT part, so unless there are any other issues shown on the medical or the questionnaire you should be fine. Ring DVLA in 7 days and chase them for a result.

Hi Price,

I had the medical today. All went fine (although the doctor missed my vein at first!!!)lol

I answered no to everything on the medical. I am on Fluoxetine for anxiety which I told them about but hopefully that doesn't prompt them to contact my doctor. I will call in 7 days like you said to get an update.

I had my medical on 9th December and had been out a couple of times the months before , I also have maybe 2 or 3 pints with a meal in my local on a Friday, I pestered them every week asking if my licence had been issued , it wasn't until 1 February that I ha stage great news of issuing me with a licence , it's only a one year licence with a medical after that so well happy but I will never ever drink n drive again, you really don't know what you lose until you have lost it , finally got my life back, sort of gave me the kick I needed

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted on here but have seen various posts around the CDT test.
I have had a yearly license for 2 years now and I am due to take my medical on the 27th November.

To cut a long story short I had a Bipolar relapse in the beginning of October. I have not drunk for probably about 3-4 years since quitting completely.
Anyway during this manic episode I made the horrible mistake of drinking over 3-4 days. Naturally I have not had anything since.

This was some binge. But since I have not drunk in such a long time and then abstaining again i suspect the CDT levels will be normal.

What does concern me though is obviously I have filled in the usual questionnaire prior to getting my appointment.

Anyway when the mental health crisis team came to see me once the booze had gone I raised my concerns about said appointment.
Their actual response was "you had a bipolar relapse" there is no need for DVLA to know. Now i have also seen my GP since as obviously they sent the discharge papers from hospital.
My hospital visit consisted of them detoxing me for 2 days and i was discharged on the 3rd after the Crisis Team deemed me fit that I was not going to take my own life.

So to that end I'm not sure what the hell to answer when i go for the medical. I have not seen my GP for over 5 years regarding anything surrounding alcohol.
Only my Bipolar where i have to get my blood pressure taken yearly due to the medication i am on can elevate it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off