CDT test abstinence

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi guys. I recently started drinking heavily again due to severe depression. I'm tapering now - down to about four beers a day over a ten hour period.

How long do you think I should leave it before doing a CDT test? I know I can get one done at the hospital and I have ordered a private one online. I don't want to waste the expensive private one and I guess doing that now would do just that.

I've seen advice that says 2 weeks and some that say three months.

I failed one previously after an 8 week abstinence after heavy drinking.

Thanks

You are probably unlikely to be under the limit at any given moment so perhaps you should address your heavy drinking before driving!

You are probably unlikely to be under the limit at any given moment so perhaps you should address your heavy drinking before driving!

Hi. My initial response to this was going to be very scathing but was quickly deleted ... because - you're right! Happily I am getting help for this and have no intention of applying for my licence until I'm okay in every way. I was more interested in the CDT results. As, according to my first test they should have been way under the threshold.

4 beers over a 10 hour period daily would not be enough to fail the CDT test (my opinion), unless those beers are of the Tennents Super variety.

I still drink daily and have tapered down to now 3 beers an evening.

For me those beers have a combined unit count of 2.7 to 3.6 UK units, prior to this my drinking was at the 24 unit plus per day level, and had been so for very many years.

Drink weaker beer and/ or shandy (0.5% ABV).

Also, if you are struggling with your taper or abstinence, ask your GP for Naltrexone (Google it, it works).

Finally, if you failed after 8 weeks, try 3 months next, and not 3 months of abstinence, but 3 months of drinking at safe (?) levels. The medical profession has recently been instructed that any amount of drinking is unsafe, so probably best to use the old system of less than 14 units per week, but I believe less than 30 per week should be fine.

That's my view, hopefully others will reply also.

4 beers over a 10 hour period daily would not be enough to fail the CDT test (my opinion), unless those beers are of the Tennents Super variety.

I still drink daily and have tapered down to now 3 beers an evening.

For me those beers have a combined unit count of 2.7 to 3.6 UK units, prior to this my drinking was at the 24 unit plus per day level, and had been so for very many years.

Drink weaker beer and/ or shandy (0.5% ABV).

Also, if you are struggling with your taper or abstinence, ask your GP for Naltrexone (Google it, it works).

Finally, if you failed after 8 weeks, try 3 months next, and not 3 months of abstinence, but 3 months of drinking at safe (?) levels. The medical profession has recently been instructed that any amount of drinking is unsafe, so probably best to use the old system of less than 14 units per week, but I believe less than 30 per week should be fine.

That's my view, hopefully others will reply also.

Thanks for the help. Ive just had a private test done and it's well below the mark. Down to abstinence this time. But thanks for your reply.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off