solicitor cost

Convicted Driver Insurance

Choonka

I need to if any one can tell me how much solicitors costs , I am yet to attend the police station to give a statement and possibly charged , my blood results came back with alcohol level of 84.Do I need legal representation at this stage or only when I attend court ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could contact the police and tell them you would like the duty solicitor to be available when you attend the police station. This is free.
alternatively you can contact a solicitor yourself to arrange for a meeting ahead of going to the police station. You will not get legal aid.
It perhaps depends on what is going to happen when you attend. If the police intend to interview you about the circumstances, then you may well want legal advice. If the police did not see you driving then they will want to interview you to get an admission that you were the driver. A solicitor might advise that you make a 'no comment interview' as without an admission, there is not enough evidence to prosecute you. You need a solicitors advice for this.
On the other hand, if you were stopped by the police, and it is obvious that you were driving, but for some reason a blood sample was taken at hospital, then you are only going to the police station to be charged with no interview and you do not really need a solicitor for this.

Thanks for that, the police officer said that they need to interview me about what happened. they did not see me driving I crashed into a pole on a bend.they did a breath test I blew 64 then they said I need to go to hospital to get checked out.My independent blood test came back at 84 , I am so worried , I have 23 years driving experience with no police record.what are my chances? Is 84 very high to warrant ban . I know the limit is 80.

81 or above is a mandatory ban. BUT what does your essult say. Do they give the actual reading in blood, or an adjusted one? The police lab produce a reading and then deduct 6, giving a result of 'not less than X' does your report indicate if this adjustment has been made? If it hasn't, then yours may come back as 78 at the police station......

My own result I sent independently said 84 the police called me and tod me there one was 85.so do they still have to make an adjustment of 6? Another question I have is the solicitor I found charges £1000 inclusive of VAT to attend Police station for interview is the the going rate for this sevice or can anyone recommend someone else that is good with good case sucess

Those results show that you are over the legal limit as the police do not deduct 6, it is already deducted in the laboratory before they tell the police the result.
the value of the solicitor is for you to decide. £3-500 spent on a solicitor to just say 'sorry' in court when you are just over the limit is probably not worth while when you could say the same yourself. £1200 spent on a solicitor to give you advice that may result in you not being prosecuted can be money well spent.
you should check that the solicitor is well versed in Drink Drive law. Many general solicitors are not. I never advocate telling lies, but you may be advised to give a 'no comment' interview when you go to the police station if it is felt that without your admission there is not enough evidence to show that you drove the vehicle beyond reasonable doubt. On the other hand, if there is clear evidence that you were the driver, £1200 spent on having someone to just be with you while paperwork is served is unnecessary.

Re: Bail conditions

Guys can I travel abroad whilst on police bail . I haven't been charged yet for drink driving but am due to attend the police station in January, I had already booked my flight but will be back in time for my police interview.

You are fine to travel abroad whilst on police bail awaiting the results.
you will not appear on a blacklist or anything like that.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off