DVLA D1 Form

Convicted Driver Insurance

fordfan83

Hi folks, i'm after some info regarding the DVLA D1 form.

I currently have 4 months left on my ban, with my start driving date being the 27/01/2017. I am not classified as a high risk offender. I realise it's a bit early, but I decided to get the D1 form filled out in preparation for sending it off at the start of December.

I am stuck at Section 5. Do I need to fill this in? My details have not changed since my ban commenced and I won't be updating my photo.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

You do not have to send off any proof of identity when you are aplying for your licence back.
you can apply any time, once you are 8 weeks from getting your licence back.
In fact, DVLA should send you a form to apply for your licence back at the 8 week point, it is called a D27.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm assuming it doesn't matter which form I submit (D1 or D27)?

Reason I ask is the DVLA told me over the phone to submit a D1 form. My awareness course instructor also told me the DVLA no longer issue a D27.

Thanks

That is news to me if they have stopped issuing D27's. it actually doesn't matter which form that you use.
this is what the .Gov website says, last updated in July 2016 (it mentions photos because your old one may have run out, or almost run out):
Non-high risk offenders

DVLA will send you a D27 form 56 days before your disqualification period ends. You’ll need to fill in the form and return it to DVLA. You may need to send in a new passport-style photo with your application.
If you don’t get your renewal form in the post, you must fill in a D1 form instead. You can order one from DVLA’s online form ordering service.

Was it a TTC course that you did? Our trainers should know about the correct procedure and advise accordingly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll probably just send off the D1 form at the start of December.

It was a company called VMCL who did my course. Cheers.

A quick update on this thread:

I sent my D1 form off on the 1st of December and today received a new license through the post. I was suprised it was as quick to be honest!

It seems I was misinformed by the course instructor and the DVLA as they did send me a D27 reminder last week.

Either way, I'm made up as it's one step closer to getting behind the wheel again! Just over 6 weeks to go until my ban is up.....

Thanks for letting us know, especially when things are done quickly for once!
Re the D27, ... I don't want to say I told you so, but..........

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off