Unusual CDT result ...

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi everyone. I've had a DVLA required medical due to my disqualification and subsequent honesty in reapplying for my licence. My problem is this:
My CDT level came back at 4.3%! I hadn't had an alcoholic drink for twelve weeks before the test. I was taking vitamins and exercising (I still am). I was also taking Citalopram for anxiety. The DVLA have been incredibly hard to communicate with during this whole process - even before my blood test. My GP took a blood test right after my result and whilst they couldn't test for CDT all my results were absolutely fine and she has sent this to the DVLA. I'm not sure if I should appeal as I've heard bad things about the DVLA and the appeals system. I can't prove I hadn't been drinking (How on earth could I prove that other than the GPs test results?).

I feel like I'm in a Kafka book.

Any advice on where I go next?

Hi everyone. I've had a DVLA required medical due to my disqualification and subsequent honesty in reapplying for my licence. My problem is this:
My CDT level came back at 4.3%! I hadn't had an alcoholic drink for twelve weeks before the test. I was taking vitamins and exercising (I still am). I was also taking Citalopram for anxiety. The DVLA have been incredibly hard to communicate with during this whole process - even before my blood test. My GP took a blood test right after my result and whilst they couldn't test for CDT all my results were absolutely fine and she has sent this to the DVLA. I'm not sure if I should appeal as I've heard bad things about the DVLA and the appeals system. I can't prove I hadn't been drinking (How on earth could I prove that other than the GPs test results?).

I feel like I'm in a Kafka book.

Any advice on where I go next?

The appeal system is fair, but the burden of proof shifts onto you. So you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that something other than alcohol has caused the 4.3 reading. To do that you will need medical proof, via tests. Your GP should be on this and looking to rule out/confirm the cause of a high CDT with no alcohol consumed. 12 weeks should have cleared you, so something is wrong.

You first need to take a second CDT test. GP's can carry out these tests, or you can go private. If there is no underlying condition that has caused the high reading then an appeal would not be successful. You need to understand what caused the high reading,

M

The appeal system is fair, but the burden of proof shifts onto you. So you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that something other than alcohol has caused the 4.3 reading. To do that you will need medical proof, via tests. Your GP should be on this and looking to rule out/confirm the cause of a high CDT with no alcohol consumed. 12 weeks should have cleared you, so something is wrong.

You first need to take a second CDT test. GP's can carry out these tests, or you can go private. If there is no underlying condition that has caused the high reading then an appeal would not be successful. You need to understand what caused the high reading,

M

Thanks Mclanelli. I'm researching as much as I can. What strikes me as odd and a little scary is that this result is very high even for somebody who was drinking! Anyway - I'll speak more to my GP but some leads point to liver disease - seems unlikely as all my other enzyme counts are very safe.

The "helpline" administrators at DVLA have sadly proved anything but helpful. One of them read verbatim a letter I had in front of me, without deviating once or letting me tell her I knew what she was reading. Then I had to ask four times what action I needed to do next only to be told confusing nonsensical answers.

My GP told me the DVLA doctor was "difficult" and "vague". Even the appointed doctor who took my medical (Who said I appeared fine and he didn't have any worries) said the DVLA was an administration that professionals heave a sigh before having to talk to.

It doesn't give me much confidence.

Thanks for advice anyway.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off