Applying for early return of license - DANGEROUS DRIVING - 30 MONTH BAN - MY STORY

Convicted Driver Insurance

sorryigotcourt

so, FIRSTLY... I know this a drink driving forum and I apologize but I didn't know where else to go! :/

this is what happened... so last year sometime I was driving to a friends on a hot summers day I was 22 but had been
driving for 4 years so I was a confident driver (to say the least) anyway I had noticed a red light last second and slammed on the anchors
when a cyclist smashed into the back of my car.. and well long story short I panicked and drove off (I know bad idea,(learnt from my mistake))
I had my day in court and was done for dangerous driving.. I personally thought I was treated very harsh especially since it was my first ever brush with the law. I got 14 month imprisonment suspended for 2 years, 300 hours community service, a total of 2k in fines and the one that hit me most
- 30 MONTH DRIVING BAN - FOLLOWED BY AN EXTENDED DRIVING TEST TO GET MY LICENSE BACK :mad:

My question is

I got a 2 and a half year ban, i was wondering if after the mandatory 2 years served of my ban like a drink driver am i also able to apply to the courts for early reinstatement of my license?

I know drink drivers can apply for early return of license but can those banned for dangerous driving also do the same? im getting mixed answers everywhere online maybe someone with legal knowledge can assist me?

so, FIRSTLY... I know this a drink driving forum and I apologize but I didn't know where else to go! :/

this is what happened... so last year sometime I was driving to a friends on a hot summers day I was 22 but had been
driving for 4 years so I was a confident driver (to say the least) anyway I had noticed a red light last second and slammed on the anchors
when a cyclist smashed into the back of my car.. and well long story short I panicked and drove off (I know bad idea,(learnt from my mistake))
I had my day in court and was done for dangerous driving.. I personally thought I was treated very harsh especially since it was my first ever brush with the law. I got 14 month imprisonment suspended for 2 years, 300 hours community service, a total of 2k in fines and the one that hit me most
- 30 MONTH DRIVING BAN - FOLLOWED BY AN EXTENDED DRIVING TEST TO GET MY LICENSE BACK :mad:

My question is

I got a 2 and a half year ban, i was wondering if after the mandatory 2 years served of my ban like a drink driver am i also able to apply to the courts for early reinstatement of my license?

I know drink drivers can apply for early return of license but can those banned for dangerous driving also do the same? im getting mixed answers everywhere online maybe someone with legal knowledge can assist me?

The legislation regarding early removal of disqualification can be found under Section 42 of The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, if you read sub section 6 at the bottom it states that "The preceding provisions of this section shall not apply where the disqualification was imposed by order under section 36(1) of this Act."

If you have been disqualified from driving until you pass your test then you wont be entitled to apply for early removal of disqualification.

The legislation regarding early removal of disqualification can be found under Section 42 of The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, if you read sub section 6 at the bottom it states that "The preceding provisions of this section shall not apply where the disqualification was imposed by order under section 36(1) of this Act."

If you have been disqualified from driving until you pass your test then you wont be entitled to apply for early removal of disqualification.

Hi, and thanks for answering...
the link is very interesting and I did my best to understand it.

I am not banned until extended test pass, im banned for 30 months and then I need to do the extended test to get my license back.

my question was can I apply to get the disqualification lifted early, so I can then do the extended test earlier (if successful) instead of waiting the full 30 months?

Hi, and thanks for answering...
the link is very interesting and I did my best to understand it.

I am not banned until extended test pass, im banned for 30 months and then I need to do the extended test to get my license back.

Try reading this here from the Sentencing Guidelines Council, who are responsible for producing sentencing guidelines for courts. Part of it states:

'Where an offender is convicted of dangerous driving, the court must order disqualification until an extended driving test is passed'.

So yes, you are actually disqualified until extended test pass.

my question was can I apply to get the disqualification lifted early, so I can then do the extended test earlier (if successful) instead of waiting the full 30 months?

The answer is no, as explained in an earlier post. This is because you have been disqualified until you pass your test.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off