Was arrested last night ... Help with apology letter

Convicted Driver Insurance

Kopo

I was pulled over at 6pm I had a glass of wine half hour or so before on the beach, didn't think for one minute I would be over the limit but have been strictly dieting for last couple of weeks and had only had a slim fast shake in the morning so was empty of food! My level was 52 , I realise I will be banned and will struggle to speak in court as I'm very shy and nervous . I want to compose a letter to magistrate and need help with what to say! As I really hope I will get a lenient ban and be offered the driver awareness course
Any help out there will be greatly appreciated!

Take this advice:

Nothing you can do or say will change the outcome. In your case they will look at the reading and sentence you accordingly. Its not a high reading. I can pretty much tell you that you will get a 12-16 month ban and you will be offered a Drink Drive Awareness course which you should take, that will reduce your ban by 25%. If I was a betting man id say 14 month ban!!

Then you will get a fine based on your income approx. few hundred quid.

Do yourself a favour, hold your hand up, say sorry and don't waste money on a solicitor as he isn't going to change this for you in any way.

Use the duty solicitor on the day which is free, take the ban and let it be a lesson learnt.

You can spend a fortune and all your time worrying about this all for the same outcome. 12-16 month ban, fine, course. Mark my words.

PS to have been at 52 you had more than one glass, don't try and wriggle out of it, just admit your error in court and say SORRY.

This is the guidelines the magistrates use:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/MCSG_web_-_October_2014.pdf

see page 124

Last edited:
Take this advice:

Nothing you can do or say will change the outcome. In your case they will look at the reading and sentence you accordingly. Its not a high reading. I can pretty much tell you that you will get a 12-16 month ban and you will be offered a Drink Drive Awareness course which you should take, that will reduce your ban by 25%. If I was a betting man id say 14 month ban!!

Then you will get a fine based on your income approx. few hundred quid.

Do yourself a favour, hold your hand up, say sorry and don't waste money on a solicitor as he isn't going to change this for you in any way.

Use the duty solicitor on the day which is free, take the ban and let it be a lesson learnt.

You can spend a fortune and all your time worrying about this all for the same outcome. 12-16 month ban, fine, course. Mark my words.

PS to have been at 52 you had more than one glass, don't try and wriggle out of it, just admit your error in court and say SORRY.

This is the guidelines the magistrates use:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/MCSG_web_-_October_2014.pdf

see page 124

Completely agree with this gentleman. I blew 60 and had been out all night... I had an initial 20 month ban which would have been reduced to 15 months If I took the course.

Best bet is to turn up to court dressed smartly, be polite and show deep remorse.

Good luck.

hi thanks for replies
i totally get that its a ban a fine and a course (if offered) was just thinking that a letter from me would be better as im really not good with words out loud and will probably end up sounding not remorseful with one word answers! really hoping for the 12-16 to be 12 and then with course only 9 i do mobile hairdressing as well so will have a big impact ,but no ones fault except mine ! just thought a letter may help..

You may be able to see the duty solicitor on the day and get him to speak up for you, but this is not certain, they may have other cases to deal with that take priority.
there is nothing to stop you writing a letter to hand in to the court. The magistrates will read it before they decide their sentence.
it is right that you will get between 12 to 16 months, the level of remorse shown and individual circumstances can help keep it at the bottom end. You can include that you apologise for taking up the court's time.
The magistrates may well offer you a course to reduce the ban, but I suggest you do not request it in the letter, wait to see if you are offered it. If they do not mention it, ask before you leave the court if you can do the course. (You do not have to do the course, but it must be offered and accepted at court on the day, it cannot be sorted later)

hi thanks for replies
i totally get that its a ban a fine and a course (if offered) was just thinking that a letter from me would be better as im really not good with words out loud and will probably end up sounding not remorseful with one word answers! really hoping for the 12-16 to be 12 and then with course only 9 i do mobile hairdressing as well so will have a big impact ,but no ones fault except mine ! just thought a letter may help..

Kopo,

Sorry I sounded so blunt, I was on my phone which is a nightmare to type on.

It's okay to be nervous, I was terrified as I'd never been in trouble before; take the duty solicitor on the day. He (or she) is likely to do most of the talking for you and you'll likely only say your name and enter a plea, plead Guilty as it is common to get a reduction based on an early guilty plea. If you do plan on submitting an apology letter then you should consult the duty solicitor when he interviews you, he may think it's a good idea though I doubt it'll change the outcome to much.

Here's a rough draft for you to work on:

Dear Magistrates,

My name is _________, I was caught driving over the limit on _______. I would like to enter this letter as an apology for my mistake along with my guilty plea; it was not my intent to commit this crime and did not foresee these consequences, I was negligent and have now come to understand the potential dangers, and see what could have happened. I feel terrible about this. I write this letter to you as I am a shy speaker and feel it could better portray my feelings on this matter, I am deeply remorseful and only wish I could turn back the clock and rethink that drink.

Yours very sincerely,

______

You get the idea, if you're really that shy/nervous then maybe it would be a good idea to write a letter.

thanks for taking time out to reply i really appreciate it!
is it worth putting in that i am doing part time mobile hairdressing and trying to build my customers? I know it wont prevent ban but may help length!

thanks for taking time out to reply i really appreciate it!
is it worth putting in that i am doing part time mobile hairdressing and trying to build my customers? I know it wont prevent ban but may help length!

I wouldn't include it in the letter, I'd keep this strictly as acknowledgment of your guilt/remorse. However I would recommend that you inform the duty solicitor that as a mobile hairdresser, your transport is essential to your employment. Again I doubt this will lower your ban but will likely be taking into consideration when judgment is passed.

Hi I went to court a couple weeks ago. Blew a 64.
The duty solicitor I doubt will see you.
I was told my reading was not high enough.
I was nervous bit it's really simple. I had a couple character references which I handed in. An apology letter which they read I thing just verbally said I was sorry and it was an irresponsable mistake.
Only about 15 seconds talking.
That was it.
Don't panic. Just learn from the mistake.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off