Totally clean slate?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Remorseful78

So I received a 28 month ban for a dr10 on 18th June 2004. I've checked my status on the gov.uk website and it's as follows:

start date - 18 June 2004
end date 17 Oct 2006
conviction date - 18 June 2004
sentencing date - 24 June 2004
removal date - 18 June 2015

Can anyone confirm what the removal date refers to, and does this mean that my ban is now wiped from the records? If I were to apply for a new driving licence (I haven't yet done this and have not been a driver since I got banned 12 years ago) would it now just look to an outsider (employer, insurer etc) as if I was a first time driver that had never held a licence before? I've been offered a company car by my employer and they don't know my situation and believe that I've just never learnt to driver. I'd rather not tell them about my past mistake and don't want to run into any problems when it comes to filling out the paperwork etc on the car lease and insurance etc.

thanks

The removal date is the date it is removed from your licence. It is exactly 11 years from your conviction date.
As such your 'slate' is now clean and your licence will have no endorsements etc on it.
You do not have to declare anything to anyone now, you have an unblemished driving licence.
You may have to apply to DVLA to get a new licence (if you still have one!) so that the conviction/endorsement is removed.

From the length of the ban you have quoted, you fall under the high risk offender scheme, either from blowing over 87, or failing to supply.
As such, when you apply for your licence back, you will have to undergo a medical, which can take up to 3 months to process through, so don't rush into getting a company car.... But there again they would not be expecting you to rush if they think you need lessons!

It's important to remember that whilst the majority of insurers ask about accidents and convictions within the last 3 or 5 years, some ask if you have EVER been convicted. This might be even more applicable if there is fleet insurance involved.

Just to point out as a side note, that there are some employers who will always need to be told about any conviction no matter how 'spent' it is for other purposes, as all convictions will show up on an enhanced DBS, even after 11 years. It doesn't always mean that an applicant will be refused a job, or even an interview. That depends on company policy and what the role is exactly.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off