First Post - Medical due on Tuesday 31st May

Convicted Driver Insurance

R_G_Bargie

Hi all,

I've been floating around this forum as a casual observer for a while. Now I've got my medical looming I thought I'd pop up my first post and say a bit about myself.

I have convicted of DD in March of 2011 and was handed a 2 year ban. The subsequent years have been a bit of a rollercoaster personally, professionally and financially and after getting my life back on track before New Year, I've decided now is time to try and get my licence back. It's fair to say that I was/am an alcoholic. I'm not sure that even total abstinence qualifies me to say I'm no longer an alcoholic, but it goes some way to easing the pressure on my family. At the peak of my drinking I was putting away a normal weeks worth of alcohol in a day or so, to the point where it was starting to affect my work and (if I continued) my health. My last alcoholic drink was Dec 21st so I'm 158 days dry (or 22 weeks and 4 days). I applied for my licence towards the beginning of April and received my letter dated the 18th of April. Those that are good at maths will realise my medical is 6 weeks and 1 day past that date, which took a phone call to the DVLA to explain that it was the first date the local doctor in Edinburgh had available.

So I'm now a few days away, I haven't touched a drop in over 5 months which included a recent weekend away on a Stag Do, and I'm still petrified. I've never told my doctor about my problems with drink but a blood test was done at the tail end of last year with (I believe) some fairly concerning results. Everything I've read says I have nothing to fear in the blood test, and an answer of "No" to all the other questions should see me sail through, but I'm a glass half empty kind of guy and the prospect of more public transport and the delayed end of a 5 year nightmare are playing havoc with my mind.

Fingers crossed.

R_G_Bargie

Well done for addressing your problem. To go on a stag do and stay "dry" certainly shows you can manage without alcohol even under what must have been a lot of pressure from your peers to indulge!
Your CDT levels should be normal by now. Why did you have the blood tests done last year? You say the results were (apparently) worrying, presumably the doctor did some follow up work with you about them, did they indicate a liver problem at that time?

The blood test was done in early December along with a chest/throat X Ray - the doctor ended up phoning me to discuss another matter. Whilst on the phone she asked me if I'd been drinking more than normal because some of my levels were quite high. No other discussion about alcohol or problems and no admission from me about what I was actually consuming. I haven't been back to see her since after I made up my mind to knock it on the head.

Last edited:
I should've added I was the doctor because I'd lost my voice and had the blood test and throat/chest X Ray as part of the diagnosis process

That should not present any problems for you if DVLA check with your doctor.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off