Hiring a car in Greece

Convicted Driver Insurance

Loulou321

Hello, not too sure if anyone can pin point an answer to this, I've had a research but not too sure exactly what the right answer is.
I go to Greece next week and although I have my licence back, it's not dated for another couple weeks.
Would I be able to hire a car in Greece or will I legally not be allowed to as my licence is not in date?

You have to be the holder of a valid uK licence to be able to drive a car abroad.
As you have your licence back, but the start date is not for a couple of weeks, you are not currently the holder of a valid UK licence.
If the licence becomes valid while you are away, then you could try care hire, but there can be pitfalls.
There was some discussion on here about a month ago about car hire with a DD conviction. One poster claimed it was legal to drive in Greece, even while disqualified here, but he was wrong. Some hire companies state in their terms and conditions that they will not hire a car to someone with a DD conviction in the past 5 years, but it seems in practice that most places abroad do not ask for the DVLA confirmation code to check a licence so they have no way of knowing if you have points or a ban on your record.
If you are asked if you have anything on your licence, you should tell the truth, because if you lie it would invalidate your insurance cover.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off