HRO on EU Driving Licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

kiki44

Hello,

I am an EU driving licence holder and I was convicted of drink driving on 07/11/2014 and sentenced to a 2 year ban with a 25% time reduction subject to attending rehabilitation course by 05/03/16. I also fell under the HRO category - I was so horrified that I have been nearly tea total since then.

I have successfully completed the course well within the time period required (Feb 2015) and I am fast approaching the end of my ban which by my reckoning should be 07/05/2016.

The courts did not retain my driving licence yet all the information on the DVLA website states that my licence will be returned to me when I am allowed to drive in the UK again. I have tried to contact them to confirm my entitlement to drive again (soon) to no avail - their automated service does not suit the non UK licence holder.

Am I to assume that I can legally get behind the wheel of my car on 07/05 or do I need to do anything else? The rehabilitation course instructors did tell me repeatedly to contact DVLA but it is proving to be nigh on impossible to talk to a human being on the matter as they only have option for UK licence holders.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated?

Many thanks,
K

Hello,

I am an EU driving licence holder and I was convicted of drink driving on 07/11/2014 and sentenced to a 2 year ban with a 25% time reduction subject to attending rehabilitation course by 05/03/16. I also fell under the HRO category - I was so horrified that I have been nearly tea total since then.

I have successfully completed the course well within the time period required (Feb 2015) and I am fast approaching the end of my ban which by my reckoning should be 07/05/2016.

The courts did not retain my driving licence yet all the information on the DVLA website states that my licence will be returned to me when I am allowed to drive in the UK again. I have tried to contact them to confirm my entitlement to drive again (soon) to no avail - their automated service does not suit the non UK licence holder.

Am I to assume that I can legally get behind the wheel of my car on 07/05 or do I need to do anything else? The rehabilitation course instructors did tell me repeatedly to contact DVLA but it is proving to be nigh on impossible to talk to a human being on the matter as they only have option for UK licence holders.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated?

Many thanks,
K

As you are a high risk offender then you will not be legally entitled to drive in the UK until you take and pass a DVLA medical. DVLA contact details can be found here.

Here lies my problem:
Satisfactory medical reports will need to be obtained before a drivers licence is re-instated under this scheme.
The DVLA will notify offenders covered by the high risk offenders scheme and inform them of what they need to do in order to successfully apply for the return of their driving licence.
As I am a non UK licence holder, they have not notified me and they do not have a licence to return as it is still in my possession. Can I have a fitness to drive test at my GP as it is a service they provide?

Thanks,

Here lies my problem:
Satisfactory medical reports will need to be obtained before a drivers licence is re-instated under this scheme.
The DVLA will notify offenders covered by the high risk offenders scheme and inform them of what they need to do in order to successfully apply for the return of their driving licence.
As I am a non UK licence holder, they have not notified me and they do not have a licence to return as it is still in my possession. Can I have a fitness to drive test at my GP as it is a service they provide?

Thanks,

There seems to be conflicting information regarding this issue.

I have just phoned the DVLA to enquire about this situation. I got to speak to someone within a few minutes and I was told that you would be entitled to drive without the need to take the medical upon expiration of your disqualification. However, the DVLA have been known to get things wrong, as everyone does from time to time.

You can find contact details for the DVLA here. After pressing start, select the 'Driving licences and applications' option, and call the number which is 0300 790 6801. Simply select option 1, then the appropriate options until you get to speak to someone. Ask them for clarification regarding the medical and the exact date you will be legally entitled to drive from, you may want to also request this information in writing to be on the safe side.

Thanks to all of you who have replied - much appreciated.
When I called the DVLA, on 0300 790 8601 Option 1 states that it applies to UK drivers licences which obviously does not apply.
However, I will be contacting DVLA via their email service as I indeed would prefer to have the information in writing and I will let you know the outcome.
Once again, many thanks for your input.
K

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off