Early Removal of Disqualification (section 42) & Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Wickwick

I am about to apply for my licence back at the 2 year mark of a 3 year ban (second offence).

If my licence is granted back early is it up to me when I actually apply for it back?

The reason why I ask is because although I'm only a social drinker, I want to give myself the best chance of having a fully clear Medical which I believe means totally abstaining for 12 weeks prior to the medical itself. I don't want to start this total abstinence unnecessarily until I know I can apply for it.

Can anyone shed light on how this all works with the medical involved please.

I am about to apply for my licence back at the 2 year mark of a 3 year ban (second offence).

If my licence is granted back early is it up to me when I actually apply for it back?

The reason why I ask is because although I'm only a social drinker, I want to give myself the best chance of having a fully clear Medical which I believe means totally abstaining for 12 weeks prior to the medical itself. I don't want to start this total abstinence unnecessarily until I know I can apply for it.

Can anyone shed light on how this all works with the medical involved please.

Did you do the alcohol awareness course? What grounds are you using to get your license back early? When you apply, you are starting the process. I would contact DVLA first before starting all this.

In my experience, once you apply for your license, you will get a letter back from the DVLA within two weeks, advising you on a GP. You have officially six weeks to do the medical, but you lose a week as DVLA take a week to return a letter to you. Then it's down to the GP. When you receive the DVLA letter, you have to wait 4 working days before contacting the GP. Now they might be able to see you the next week - or, it might be 3-4 weeks before they see you.

If you look through some of the most recent posts on the medical and CDT, you will find a lot of the information you require.

You should abstain from alcohol for a good 4 weeks prior to the medical, where you will be tested for Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin. This is a biomarker in your blood which shows excessive(maybe 6 to 12 units), continued daily drinking from as little as two weeks ago. However, as CDT has only a 14 day half life, from the moment you stop drinking, two weeks later, you should see your CDT levels drop by 50%.

If you are a social drinker and that is, you go out for a few drinks once a week, you are likely to be fine, CDT only increases on daily, heavy drinking - and even then not for all. Binge drinking a couple days a week will put your CDT levels up.

CDT levels:

<2.2% - green and a pass on alcohol consumption
>2.2%<2.9% - amber, will need further investigation
>3.0% - red, DVLA will fail you. 6-12 months further ban.

If you want to know your CDT levels, you can find online/home private testing for £79,(Medichecks) which I have found to be reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, thanks for reply but my case is different.

I am currently banned for 3 years for 2nd offence, im coming up to two years and am entitled to apply for early removal of disqualification. Upon this being successful I have to do the medical too.

I cant contact the DVLA yet because as it stands im still banned for another year.

I was band late 2013 for 3rd drink drive offence thay gave me 45 month ban 200 pound fine and drink drive course.

Applied for early removal threw the courts on 22/03/2016. Attended court on 1/04/2016 with no solicitor just a letter why I need it back. Job/ family life
Which the clerk will read out took 20 min then judges. Will decide and cps will discredit you in court so I backed up saying that's a past offences does not rule in the case and any previous offence which has been SPENT.
They gave me back my licence
Just wating for medical in 2 weeks
Oh I never went on the drink drive course because I did not consent to it

Last edited:
I was band late 2013 for 3rd drink drive offence thay gave me 45 month ban 200 pound fine and drink drive course.

Applied for early removal threw the courts on 22/03/2016. Attended court on 1/04/2016 with no solicitor just a letter why I need it back. Job/ family life
Which the clerk will read out took 20 min then judges. Will decide and cps will discredit you in court so I backed up saying that's a past offences does not rule in the case and any previous offence which has been SPENT.
They gave me back my licence
Just wating for medical in 2 weeks
Oh I never went on the drink drive course because I did not consent to it

Danny, I'm so glad you've posted. PLEASE PLEASE can i ask that you stay in touch even after you get your license back. I want to know how you get on. My two year mark is up on the 10th June 2016. Im preparing for court as we speak. I have a few questions:

1) Can you tell me how you applied to the court (i imagine by letter) but can you indicate the content of the application.
2) I hope you don't think I'm a pain, but could you describe your court experience in more detail please? Im going to represent myself too.
3) Are you given a set amount of time to send your D1 off or is it up to you? Have you prepared for your medical prior to knowing you were successful (as in stopped drinking)?

Last edited:
I sent a email to the court that band me saying Under section 42 blah blah blah
I would like my licence back
A week later got a letter threw the post
A court summons ( summons is a invite to court ). To attend
The email I sent it had my driving number And details
The email was pretty long stated the effect on my life and family members me not only to drive /
I didn't have soliciter the clerk red my email stament in court it took 25 minutes to read out at that point the the proescutor. Trying all his hardest to stop the judges not to give me my licence back / the prosecutor will then ask couple question like do u still drink
Blah blah blah
Then the judges will retire for about 10 min and then the verdict
I got it back at that time / and I seen the face of the proescutor. His wasn't happy. The d1 form I sent of around 2 weeks ago U can send it off when u want thou

Great info, so would you advise to put everything in my letter that i want to be read out in court.

I was going to keep my application brief, but it sounds like if i put it all down then it will automatically get read out.

I sent a email to the court that band me saying Under section 42 blah blah blah
I would like my licence back
A week later got a letter threw the post
A court summons ( summons is a invite to court ). To attend
The email I sent it had my driving number And details
The email was pretty long stated the effect on my life and family members me not only to drive /
I didn't have soliciter the clerk red my email stament in court it took 25 minutes to read out at that point the the proescutor. Trying all his hardest to stop the judges not to give me my licence back / the prosecutor will then ask couple question like do u still drink
Blah blah blah
Then the judges will retire for about 10 min and then the verdict
I got it back at that time / and I seen the face of the proescutor. His wasn't happy. The d1 form I sent of around 2 weeks ago U can send it off when u want thou

Oh forgot to mention I swore on the bible in court

I put lot in my email like stress / family / work / and how I have change since my ban I used to drink a lot after work as builders do now I gone back Flt work close to home I used to work away a lot in south France and Spain building /.

Did you do the alcohol awareness course? What grounds are you using to get your license back early? When you apply, you are starting the process. I would contact DVLA first before starting all this.

In my experience, once you apply for your license, you will get a letter back from the DVLA within two weeks, advising you on a GP. You have officially six weeks to do the medical, but you lose a week as DVLA take a week to return a letter to you. Then it's down to the GP. When you receive the DVLA letter, you have to wait 4 working days before contacting the GP. Now they might be able to see you the next week - or, it might be 3-4 weeks before they see you.

If you look through some of the most recent posts on the medical and CDT, you will find a lot of the information you require.

You should abstain from alcohol for a good 4 weeks prior to the medical, where you will be tested for Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin. This is a biomarker in your blood which shows excessive(maybe 6 to 12 units), continued daily drinking from as little as two weeks ago. However, as CDT has only a 14 day half life, from the moment you stop drinking, two weeks later, you should see your CDT levels drop by 50%.

If you are a social drinker and that is, you go out for a few drinks once a week, you are likely to be fine, CDT only increases on daily, heavy drinking - and even then not for all. Binge drinking a couple days a week will put your CDT levels up.

CDT levels:

<2.2% - green and a pass on alcohol consumption
>2.2%<2.9% - amber, will need further investigation
>3.0% - red, DVLA will fail you. 6-12 months further ban.

If you want to know your CDT levels, you can find online/home private testing for £79,(Medichecks) which I have found to be reliable.

The following is incorrect:

2.2%<2.9% - amber, will need further investigation
> 3.0% - red, DVLA will fail you. 6-12 months further ban

3.0 or above will result in a 12 month exclusion as this is indicative of alcohol dependency.

Between 2.2 and 2.9 can result in a six month exclusion, as depending on individual circumstance ANY score in this range can be construed as alcohol misuse.

Regards
M

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off