Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes

Convicted Driver Insurance Quoteline
Convicted driver insurance quote line owned and operated by MCE Insurance

Follow Drinkdriving.org on:

Follow Drinkdriving.org on Facebook Follow Drinkdriving.org on Google+ Follow Drinkdriving.org on Twitter
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The DVLA Medical test, CDT and an individual case study

Easter2018 is offline Member

Default Re: Medical in two weeks

Quote Originally Posted by white43 View Post
    None for milk thistle. This may help your liver, but has no bearing on the CDT biomarker. As for iron, there's some evidence that being deficient in iron may cause false positives. Iron overload may make the CDT biomarker less sensitive.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10051465

"We investigated whether body ironinfluenced CDT serum levels by studying alcohol abusers
    with or without iron overload and nonabusers with iron
    deficiency or iron overload caused by genetic hemochroma-
    tosis (GH). In alcohol abusers, CDT was significantly lower
    in the presence of iron overload than in the absence(24.6 ⴞ
    16.5 U/L vs. 33.3 ⴞ 11.7 U/L; P F .01), with false-negative
    results almost exclusively in patients with iron overload.

Research paper: Carbohydrate‐deficient transferrin, a sensitive marker of chronic alcohol abuse, is highly influenced by body iron. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...d_by_body_iron [accessed Apr 3, 2017]."
    Many thanks I am on high dosage vitamin B tablets due to deficiency, and was also told to take Iron tablets. Reading other posts I am not trying to cheat and have stopped drinking, just off on holiday next week - never mind will save some money not drinking.

white43 is offline Member

Default Re: The DVLA Medical test, CDT and an individual case study

Hi All.

Another update - and another year on. I think I had the forms in March.

So after 2 x 1 year licenses - because each time I had had a medical detox in the previous three years - (Medical detox in 2014, so in 2016 and 2017, I had to answer yes)

Here in 2018, February, I am MORE than three years on from that medical detox.

The same medical forms came through and now, I could say NO to everything.

Despite me saying NO to everything - DVLA insisted they had to contact my GP again and after what seemed a very long time, they have issued me with a new license....

...For five years. (actually on checking, it's for 4 years, 9 months???)

I'm pretty disappointed as I assumed I'd be issued a ten year license, or at least an 8 year license which would be the remainder of a ten year license, having had two already.

Perhaps this is because I was a HRO? Perhaps this is because I've had a detox in the past? Who knows what the internal workings of DVLA are and what criteria they have. Perhaps when I get to 2023 and reapply once again, I'll get my ten year license. I will be very annoyed if they're still asking for medical information at that stage - some nine years later.

Anyway, hope this is useful to someone.

price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director

You may well find that what t,hey issued you with is a licence until your photo runs out. Remember you can drive until you are 70 after passing your test (and after that, subject to medical scrutiny) but your photo licence only runs for 10 years at a time because of the need to update your photo.
    If you had submitted a new photo with your application then I think you would have received the full 10 year licence.

white43 is offline Member

Good point.

As I recall now, I think I may have received a new license in 2014 or somewhere there around. Ten years from then could equate to 2023.

Thanks for the info mate.

electronicmagician is offline New Member

I had a medichecks test done this week. At.the moment I drink between 13.8 and 20.7 units a day and have done for a number of years. The test was using a veinous sample and medichecks sent a nurse to my home to take the sample. I was dreading the result but was very surprised to get a reading of 1.1%. I don't take any other medication and am pretty healthy but really surprised at the negative result. Over the next week I plan to stop drinking completely and will get another test in three months to see what the difference is. (Including £39 for the Nurse visit the test was just over £100.)

diesel2 is offline New Member

Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by electronicmagician View Post
    I had a medichecks test done this week. At.the moment I drink between 13.8 and 20.7 units a day and have done for a number of years. The test was using a veinous sample and medichecks sent a nurse to my home to take the sample. I was dreading the result but was very surprised to get a reading of 1.1%.

Just to throw some stuff in the mix, I had a medichecks CDT Test come back as 1.3%, which I thought was a bit low as it was 3 weeks after Christmas, and I had been keeping a diary which suggested it should be higher. Anyhow, I had done this in preparation for going to the docs for a CDT through him, just to make sure it was ok. I reduced units all the same, just in case, and it came back as 1.7%!!!
    This was still fine for DVLA, but it does mean that I am a bit suspicious of medichecks results.
    Just for information that may help some people, I arranged all my CDT Tests through the docs a few months before the expected enquiry from DVLA, making sure the doc asked me how many units a week etc, so that all the information was ready and waiting, and no need to then go for a dvla organised medical. This meant I could prepare myself in my own time, instead of suddenly getting a letter for an appointment and getting stressed out. Of course one problem with this is that it is now permanently on the record, so if itís too high, youíre stuffed.
    Iím sure I read that some others have sent a medichecks result to dvla and itís been accepted, so maybe I could have just given that result to the doc? Anyhow, Iíve got the full licence back now so itís not an issue for me anymore.
    Last edited by Forum Moderator; 07-03-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678