DVLA medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rhysyboy82

I am about to apply for my licence back after a lengthy 3 year ban (twice in 10 years). I am trying to find out everything I can about the medical, preferably from someone who has recently had theirs carried out and what tests are carried out within this medical and the pass values for each test. I am going to have private tests done as a mock medical to determine whether I need to hold out for longer or proceed with the medical depending on the results. I am also trying to find out, as the drug driving laws have just come in on March the 2nd 2015 then is this a factor of the medical as well?

Any reliable and informative advice or guidance would be very much appreciated. I'm slowly losing my mind over this very stressful situation.

P.s the DVLA are very vague and quite frankly useless on giving out this sort of information, hence posting on here.

Thanks again.

The new law on drug driving has no effect on the medical you are going to for drink driving.
You will be asked to fill in a questionnaire about your alcohol - and drug - use. Providing there are no concerns about drug use, you will just have a blood test done to test your CDT levels.( If you are getting a private test, make sure you ask for this, not the older Liver Function Test because this is not what DVLA require) a result over 2.9% is an indication of alcohol dependency. 2.3 to 2.9% raises concerns and below that is considered acceptable.
DVLA may decide to consult with your GP about your medical history over the past 2-3 years if there are concerns about your result.
5 or 6 weeks of drinking sensible amounts of alcohol (21-28 units per week for a man) should see CDT levels at normal levels.

Many thanks for your swift response Price.

May I ask where you get this information from? I'm assuming you are directly involved in this sort of stuff as a living??

I have just privately booked a private CDT test with a local lab and should get the results next week at some point which will give me an indication of levels prior to my DVLA medical. I will post drinking habits and results for other people to refer to as I have total sympathy with other people in the same situation in trying to find out genuine and accurate information.

I have, for the past 2 weeks conducted extensive research on the Internet as well as speaking directly to scientists and consultant biochemists on this matter which has been a massive help and eased my mind somewhat.

I hope this information will help others as it did myself. Here is an article on CDT that I have found. Please note it is dated May 2008 but have been led to believe from a reliable source it is accurate.

http://www.viapath.co.uk/sites/default/files/upload/BloodSciences/cdt report2.pdf

Hope this helps.

I'm in a simlar position to you, although I have a failed medical under my belt.

Im currently on day 11 with no alcohol and on the milk thistle tablets, which people say could make a bit of difference. Hoping to book my medical in around 3-4 weeks once I hear from the DVLA.

One thing that concerns me is that my GP raised concerns with me about my drinking about a year ago, which could cause me a problem should the DVLA decide to contact my GP.

Keep me posted how you're getting on

I am sorry to just jump onto this thread but can anyone help me finding older posts? I am sure Price 1367 can help as he/she does a great job helping most on here. If i can give anyone any help then do not hesitate to contact me.... I do not know that much but i have had the D.V.L.A medical last week (05-2015). TIA. Buffalobill.....

Hi Rob

I am currently on day 12 and hoping by the time my medical comes around I should be ok going on the info I've gained recently.

Do you mind me asking how you failed the medical?? Were you drinking prior to the medical and what were your results? What was your experience of the medical like?

I'd also be interested in buffalo bills experience as well if at all possible. What was actually involved and what were you results?

Many thanks for your responses.

Cont....

To answer your question Rob, dont take this as gospel but I think they will only contact your GP for further information if your results are abnormal for some reason and they need further information.

To answer your question buffalo bill, I think it's just a case of browsing around and looking through the pages of threads, alternatively it might be an option to contact the site administrators.

Hope this helps and I do agree, price does seem to know his stuff and has a lot of involvement on here. Credit where it is due, need more people like him/her in this world. It's great seeing people helping others out.

Hi Alex/Other users

Hope that you are good, I would like your advice about the CDT testing and the medical questionnaire.
I am due to get my licence back in October but have to go through a medical for failing to provide a sample of breath. Absolutely worried about it. My drink intake used to be 1/4 bottle of Vodka daily and 2/3 cans of normal 4% Lager. I have done this for the past 2 years except Sundays as for religious reasons where I don't Drink nor smoke.
However I require my licence back and have decided not to drink at all from now on. I am due to receive my application for my licence at the beginning of July and have refrained from any alcohol intake since end of May'15. I sincerely hope that you could answer the following questions if possible for me

1. What is the likelihood of me passing the CDT test and medical if I continue to refrain from drinking for 6 weeks or more?
2. Do they consult your GP?
3. How long after submitting your application for your Driving Licence do you hear from the DVLA about booking your medical appointment?
4. How long after the medical do you hear from the DVLA whether they will be issuing you your driving licence
5. How do you complete the medical questionnaire asking if you have a drink/alcohol problem, personally I do not think I have as I can refrain from it on a Sunday and have done so since the end of May' 15.
6. Does the questionnaire ask if you had an accident as a result of you alcohol consumption?

I am really worried about this and would appreciate some advice..............Thank You Kindly

Forgot to mention my GP has never said that I have had a drink problems just sometimes he has said that my Liver enzyme readings are raised but said need to cut down and not of a grave concern, so would i answer no alcohol problems on the questionnaire. Totally stressed out with this!!!

I am sorry to just jump onto this thread but can anyone help me finding older posts? I am sure Price 1367 can help as he/she does a great job helping most on here. If i can give anyone any help then do not hesitate to contact me.... I do not know that much but i have had the D.V.L.A medical last week (05-2015). TIA. Buffalobill.....

Click on your name, then click on 'view forum posts' and you will see everything you have posted.

Hi Rob

I am currently on day 12 and hoping by the time my medical comes around I should be ok going on the info I've gained recently.

Do you mind me asking how you failed the medical?? Were you drinking prior to the medical and what were your results? What was your experience of the medical like?

I'd also be interested in buffalo bills experience as well if at all possible. What was actually involved and what were you results?

Many thanks for your responses.

I failed a medical around 10 years, it's completely changed since then. I was totally naive, and thought passing it would off been a formality.

I was young single and went out every night. Didn't change my drinking habits at all.

Many thanks for your swift response Price.

May I ask where you get this information from? I'm assuming you are directly involved in this sort of stuff as a living??

I have just privately booked a private CDT test with a local lab and should get the results next week at some point which will give me an indication of levels prior to my DVLA medical. I will post drinking habits and results for other people to refer to as I have total sympathy with other people in the same situation in trying to find out genuine and accurate information.

I have, for the past 2 weeks conducted extensive research on the Internet as well as speaking directly to scientists and consultant biochemists on this matter which has been a massive help and eased my mind somewhat.

I hope this information will help others as it did myself. Here is an article on CDT that I have found. Please note it is dated May 2008 but have been led to believe from a reliable source it is accurate.

http://www.viapath.co.uk/sites/default/files/upload/BloodSciences/cdt report2.pdf

Hope this helps.

If you look at my profile, you will see that I have been immersed in the law and particularly drink driving for most of my working life! At my current job with TTC we have come across most of the things that people ask about on here... And for those questions we haven't, we know where to go to find the answers!

Your link to information on CDT sums up the value of the test nicely. There are people who say that it can produce false results, but this lists what they can be from, and most of these do not apply to most people......

Last edited:

Click on your name, then click on 'view forum posts' and you will see everything you have posted.

What price has stated above to find all of your own posts, you can also do this on other forum member names and find all their posts. If you want to find posts on a specific subject matter you can also search the forum for specific keywords and within specific periods of time (posts/threads within the last week, month, year and beyond etc.).

Hiya all.
Firstly i has my medical 28th may and recieved my licence ( till 70 ) yesterday 05th June. I do not know what my results were and to be honest i was not bothered either but i will find out so i can post on here for others with my drinkin habits too. I had a drink over the bank holiday weekend prior to my medical (had a drink on the 23rd may, medical was 28th may) and the doctor said when i had the medical as long as i do not lie i will be fine.... I was quite surprised with the turn around but as family members said " they have had the money " licence was issued 04th June so exactly one week !!:) Regards the doctor saying do not lie i think it is because he asked when i had my last drink and he noted this down and then when the lab get the blood they can work out how your body has coped and broke down the alcohol but i am not sure.... I am quite confident that if you do not drink for 7 days you will pass the medical cos as far as i am concerned if you can stay off the drink for 7 or more days you are not an alcoholic and that is what the D.V.L.A are looking for.... when people on here say " don't worry " you should not worry as i did then once i had done the medical i just knew i had passed. I had a urine sample taken but i was honest an said i USED to somke cannabis (not when drivin, an thats the truth) but there were 6 others when i did my medical and the nurse only urine tested the one's who admitted to previously taking drugs, so regards smoking cannabis if you have been then you know what too do, i told the truth cos either way i knew i would pass!! The D.V.L.A did not contact my own G.P as there were no other worries. No matter what people say you are going too worry.. Best of luck all from a V.HAPPY buffalobill

FAO Harney.

I have just has my licence reissued after the medical. I will try to answer your questions. When i applied for my licence it took 17 days for d.v.l.a to send me my local d.v.l.a appointed medical centre , i gave d.v.l.a 14 days then to put it politely i "pestered" them everyday, as far as i am concerned they had my £90 so i was entitled to, it arrived 3 days later lol.

Once i had my local doctor i phoned and booked and it was 15 days from then that i had to attend but i missed that appointment through other commitments and re-booked for 28/05 with no other monies to pay, if you were to miss the second appointment then you have to start again but i did find out the d.v.l.a do send your £90 back !!! was shocked at this to be honest.

Regards the drink i personally hardly ever drink, sometimes once a month sometimes every fortnight when playing snooker with my father but i would not say you do not drink on your application as i think that raises questions as to why you do not drink, most people who have had a drink problem do not drink at all, very few people are t-total. I went with 12-18 units a month on questionaire and drink around 6 units each time i go out which is around 3 pints, this is the truth for me and i had my medical 28th may and went out saturday 23rd may and had 4 pints while playing snooker and told the doctor this which he noted down so regards you asking if you will pass after 6 weeks no drinking i would bet that you would, you can tell the doctor the truth that you refrained from the drink for a month or so so you would pass the medical as its a big thing getting your licence back and i am sure the doctor will understand this.

When you fill in your questionaire it will ask if you have seen your doctor for a drink problem or if you have had a detox all within the last 3 years, now im not telling you too lie but if you have had 6 weeks off the booze then id say no as if your bloods come back ok they will not contact your g.p, it all depends on how confident you are on passing the C.D.T test, in my eyes 6 weeks is more than enough, my licence means everything too me an im sure it does you too, if you pass the C.D.T test but say you have been to your doctor for drink problems chances are you will be issued a 12 month licence and this can cause problems with jobs, insurance etc, this is all up too you but as i have said too others, if you stay off the drink for even a week you cannot be an alcholic, people who are alcholics drink every day, an thats the end of the story on that one, you are having 6 weeks off so you are not an alcoholic, my advice,answer no to all question but only if you are telling the truth regards your period of abstinence !! ?? !! I hope this helps, any other questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Buffalobill

Last edited by a moderator:
FAO BUFFALOBILL

Thanks mate you have put me at ease, just one last burning question.........On the questionnaire it also ask if you had a accident because of your alcohol, well yes I did go into another vehicle however my solicitor said I was lucky to have just got charged for Failing to provide and not additional charge of Careless driving, so when I have checked the DVLA site the only offence I have showing and charged for was Failing to Provide, so as far as I am concerned they only have a record of me Failing to Provide and have no knowledge of the accident......So do you think i could answer No for the question as to have I had an accident due to alcohol...Don't want to open up a 'Can of worms' and like you say I really need my licence back

Hope to hear from you soon buddy

Buffalobill

I have been to the doctors for a blood test about every year just for my piece of mind regarding general check which includes Liver check, however I have never been to him to seek advice on alcohol dependency in last 3 years, he did say my enzymes were raised but not extreme , the last readings were 53 and i think normal is 37. So do i say no again as i don't think i am dependent on alcohol can go days without. This is totally stressing me out buddy and thank you once again for your support..............Much appreciated

How's your application getting on rhysyboy82? I'm still waiting to hear from them. Been a month now. Rung them today and they told me it hasn't been scanned!! It has now been marked as priority. Absolute nightmare !

Received my medical letter after 3 long weeks! I've got to wait for doc to contact me on Friday to make appointment now.

In other news.....

Did a private CDT test last week and after drinking fairly normally I had a level of 1.6% (no excess alcohol intake) which is acceptable as far as the the DVLA are concerned. (Price has kindly noted the levels and what they would mean in this thread) Would highly recommend it to anyone who has any doubts for peace of mind. As I've only had a few drinks now for a birthday party I attended last week I should fly the medical, fingers crossed!!

Received my medical letter after 3 long weeks! I've got to wait for doc to contact me on Friday to make appointment now.

In other news.....

Did a private CDT test last week and after drinking fairly normally I had a level of 1.6% (no excess alcohol intake) which is acceptable as far as the the DVLA are concerned. (Price has kindly noted the levels and what they would mean in this thread) Would highly recommend it to anyone who has any doubts for peace of mind. As I've only had a few drinks now for a birthday party I attended last week I should fly the medical, fingers crossed!!

How long did it take to get the results back from a private cdt and how much did it cost? I been almost without a drink now for 5 weeks (a pint last Tuesday and 2 on Sunday) so I'm pretty confident I'll be ok.

Im actually going away this weekend and was hoping to have my medical done by now. May have a steady few and leave the medical for 2 weeks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off