Never been convicted of drink driving but..

Convicted Driver Insurance

simington

Hi, I am new here and have never been convicted of drink driving and never have. I did however have a fit after going through a rough patch in life due to alcohol abuse (withdrawal actualy). Because I was admited to hospital some 3.5 years ago my own doctor called the dvla and told them I should not drive. The DVla revoked my license an I had to go for a medical to be fit to drive. They issued me with a 1 year temporary license and now I have to go back for another medical. Does anyone know whether I will have to take a blood test and is that relevant as I have never been convicted for drink driving. Surely my doctor should be consulted and the relevant information should be whether I have had a fit or not. Has anyone else here been banned even though they have never been convicted of Drink driving.. Thanks

I had an accident by which a car was coming out of a side road this caused me to steer into a parked car and spin into a tree. i was unconscious at the time and was cut out of the vehicle and there was no sign of the offending vehicle. I was taken to hospital in an ambulance. While unconscious the hospital took a blood sample and once I woke up they asked me to sign for it. At no time during this incident was I told that I would be charged with drink driving. I returned home and a friend I had met in the pub was mortified that I had an accident and she confessed that she had bought me double vodka and coke and not the coke I had asked for because she didn’t realise I was driving because the pub is 200 yards from my home. In total I had had one pint and double vodka and eight weeks later I was summoned to court. i presented myself at the designated time only to be told that the prosecution did not have their file there and the case was adjourned. I was then given another date i which I represented myself as I am unemployed and cannot afford a solicitor and the case is not serious enough to warrant legal aid. the court was adjourned yet again to allow for the prosecution to further analyse the blood sample. While in court they also mentioned that I had previously been in trouble with the police which was 22 years ago and I was cautioned and not charged. I have no previous convictions and that includes speeding tickets. and Help what can I do

Hi, I am new here and have never been convicted of drink driving and never have. I did however have a fit after going through a rough patch in life due to alcohol abuse (withdrawal actualy). Because I was admited to hospital some 3.5 years ago my own doctor called the dvla and told them I should not drive. The DVla revoked my license an I had to go for a medical to be fit to drive. They issued me with a 1 year temporary license and now I have to go back for another medical. Does anyone know whether I will have to take a blood test and is that relevant as I have never been convicted for drink driving. Surely my doctor should be consulted and the relevant information should be whether I have had a fit or not. Has anyone else here been banned even though they have never been convicted of Drink driving.. Thanks

If your driving licence has been revoked by the DVLA due to alcohol misuse or dependency then you will need to satisfy the requirments laid out by the DVLA by undertaking a medical examination which will include a blood test.

Last edited:
I had an accident by which a car was coming out of a side road this caused me to steer into a parked car and spin into a tree. i was unconscious at the time and was cut out of the vehicle and there was no sign of the offending vehicle. I was taken to hospital in an ambulance. While unconscious the hospital took a blood sample and once I woke up they asked me to sign for it. At no time during this incident was I told that I would be charged with drink driving. I returned home and a friend I had met in the pub was mortified that I had an accident and she confessed that she had bought me double vodka and coke and not the coke I had asked for because she didn’t realise I was driving because the pub is 200 yards from my home. In total I had had one pint and double vodka and eight weeks later I was summoned to court. i presented myself at the designated time only to be told that the prosecution did not have their file there and the case was adjourned. I was then given another date i which I represented myself as I am unemployed and cannot afford a solicitor and the case is not serious enough to warrant legal aid. the court was adjourned yet again to allow for the prosecution to further analyse the blood sample. While in court they also mentioned that I had previously been in trouble with the police which was 22 years ago and I was cautioned and not charged. I have no previous convictions and that includes speeding tickets. and Help what can I do

It depends on the specifics of your case. I would really advise you to seek help and representation from a solicitor, the law is very complex. You may be able to find one who can offer you a payment plan whereby you pay their fee by installments. Is your friend willing to testify in court that they bought you an alcoholic drink without your knowledge?

Your previous caution with the police from 22 years ago will have no bearing on the outcome of this case.

Thank you for the reply
My friend has been to the courts on three occasions and was told that because she bought me the wrong drink (Just clarifying that I had not been spiked) she too could also loose her licence.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off