DVLA Medical Appeal, Disagree with Decision

Convicted Driver Insurance

perryartworks

Good evening folks,

I have just joined because I have served a 2 year driving ban (my first and only) only to fail my medical examination. I cycle and run and keep fit and do go out with my mates on a weekend but I am absolutely beside myself with worry now! I was applying for a security level job and thought I would have my licence back now, but yet I don't! HELP! I totally dispute the medical's findings, what can I do? Can I speak to my GP and get him to write to the DVLA and offer up another medical exam? I left the surgery to get cash as the DVLA doctor refused card/cheque so I had to go into town for 20 mins before returning to pay him. I think the blood sample was either duff or the wrong one. Does anyone know what can be done? Please help.

Ps; how do you post your own thread on here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: DVLA Medical a sham!

I got the letter and it stated 3.8 whatever that means, so to all intense and purposes I have to wait 6 months before I can have yet another medical! Is there a way I can use a solicitor or my GP to get another medical say in a week / 2 weeks etc instead of waiting 6 months as this will end up affecting my job?

Re: DVLA Medical a sham!

Good evening folks,

I have just joined because I have served a 2 year driving ban (my first and only) only to fail my medical examination. I cycle and run and keep fit and do go out with my mates on a weekend but I am absolutely beside myself with worry now! I was applying for a security level job and thought I would have my licence back now, but yet I don't! HELP! I totally dispute the medical's findings, what can I do? Can I speak to my GP and get him to write to the DVLA and offer up another medical exam? I left the surgery to get cash as the DVLA doctor refused card/cheque so I had to go into town for 20 mins before returning to pay him. I think the blood sample was either duff or the wrong one. Does anyone know what can be done? Please help.

Ps; how do you post your own thread on here?

I got the letter and it stated 3.8 whatever that means, so to all intense and purposes I have to wait 6 months before I can have yet another medical! Is there a way I can use a solicitor or my GP to get another medical say in a week / 2 weeks etc instead of waiting 6 months as this will end up affecting my job?

You can appeal the DVLA medical decision through the magistrates court. You should consult with a solicitor who can advise you further. Making an appeal via the court is unlikely to happen within one or two weeks though.

3.8 will be your CDT blood test result, as it was so high your licence was automatically refused, more information can be viewed here.

Instructions on how to create a new thread can be viewed here.

Last edited:
well did u drink in excess 3 month prior to it? and did you drink at all 6 weeks prior to it? if you did, you only have yourself to blame. 3 month prior- can have a drink but nit much, 6 weeks prior - nothing at all. what was more important to you your drink or the licence?

well did u drink in excess 3 month prior to it? and did you drink at all 6 weeks prior to it? if you did, you only have yourself to blame. 3 month prior- can have a drink but nit much, 6 weeks prior - nothing at all. what was more important to you your drink or the licence?

Do you really have to give it 3months of NO alchohol before booking medical? I had a 9 pints about 3 weeks ago and want to book the medical on like the 20th nov. I was planning on having a good christmas but im worried that I havent left enough time for my medical lol! Was gonna give myself 4/5 weeks detox from the evil juice.

6 weeks of 21 to 28 units a week (for a man) should bring down the CDT score to acceptable levels.
If the 9 pints was a 'one off' then you could still be OK for the 20th November.
It is not necessary to abstain completely. I would encourage you to do the medical as soon as possible, as there are many reports on here of how long the wait can be for an answer from DVLA after the medical. You should not be building in a delay yourself.

Last edited:
6 weeks of 21 to 28 units a week (for a man) should bring down the CDT score to acceptable levels.
If the 9 pints was a 'one off' then you could still be OK for the 20th November.
It is not necessary to abstain completely. I would encourage you to do the medical as soon as possible, as there are many reports on here of how long the wait can be for an answer from DVLA after the medical. You should not be building in a delay yourself.

Yes Price, it was a one off. A very wild saturday night as it was a good friends birthday so we celebrated big! But since then 19th Oct I havent touched a drop. Thats good to hear that I wouldnt need to abstain fully seeing as Halloween is this weekend plus the fireworks.. However for piece of mind im actually gonna completly abstain from drinking anything anyway. Will make me feel more confident about myself leading upto the medical.

Just waiting for that letter to come through from the DVLA now with the medical doctor details.... Seems like forever and i only posted off d1 on Saturday LOL.

hi all, for all of you that asking: is it really a need to abstain for 3 months b4? the answer is yes. didn't you do the course? i did the course that cut my sentence by 25% but it was very useful. such as i have found out that I cannot drive next day after and even in some cases 2 days after. some people in my course calculated they cannot drive a week after. lol i cannot drink that much, so not for me. but while i agree that the medical is a sham... i mean so u will ban all the pps from driving now? cause they have a party? but we cannot do anything about it. this is the reality. we need to prove that we don't drink at all,, cause we put ourselves in this situation. so. 3 months b4 no excess... and 6 weeks b4 nothing at all. remember that. as for me i will just quit 6 months b4 completely and will just wait for them to accept me again as a normal person.

hi all, for all of you that asking: is it really a need to abstain for 3 months b4? the answer is yes. didn't you do the course? i did the course that cut my sentence by 25% but it was very useful. such as i have found out that I cannot drive next day after and even in some cases 2 days after. some people in my course calculated they cannot drive a week after. lol i cannot drink that much, so not for me. but while i agree that the medical is a sham... i mean so u will ban all the pps from driving now? cause they have a party? but we cannot do anything about it. this is the reality. we need to prove that we don't drink at all,, cause we put ourselves in this situation. so. 3 months b4 no excess... and 6 weeks b4 nothing at all. remember that. as for me i will just quit 6 months b4 completely and will just wait for them to accept me again as a normal person.

Thanks for the info! But really don't understand why giving 6 months of no drinking before medical is necessary.. I've heard so many different theory's on the matter. Some people have said don't drink for a week and you'll be fine. Others say a month just to be on the safe side and now the 3 month theory.

I think that what people are trying to say is that someone should not be of the mindset "how late can I leave it before the medical to stop drinking?" There are plenty of posts on this forum from people facing the medical and desperately worried about it because they have been binging and suddenly realise it might be a problem.
i say again that it is not necessary to abstain from drinking at all before the medical, have a pint of beer on the way, you will still pass..... What is needed is a period of sensible drinking for a while to reduce the CDT reading to normal levels. This might vary from person to person, according to how much they have been drinking before. Some people react to being disqualified by thinking "well it doesn't matter how much I drink now, because I can't drive" and then drink way above recommended amounts. 4 to 6 weeks sensible drinking should be fine, Ellen1 was, I think, pointing out that if you desperately NEED your licence back, why not make the CHOICE to abstain for longer, just to make sure you get a result that you want.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off