High risk medical examination, should I stop drinking before?

Convicted Driver Insurance

masterofdisaster

Hi There,

I was convicted of DD and in the high risk category due to the amount I had consumed being high. Although I was never a dependant drinker, I was a regular social drinker at weekends, and the level of consumption probably put me in the binge category.

My ban has now expired and I have been sent the letter requesting that I get the medical examination.

Since my conviction I have made changes in my life, I stopped drinking altogether for around 6 months. This year I have started to drink socially again but infrequently and not to the same degree I used to.

I don't drink on week days or with meals etc, I probably have 1-3 nights out a month where I will drink.

On Friday (yesterday) as an example I drank around 5 pints of beer over the course of an afternoon and evening with clients, drunk slowly and with water so at no point was I particularly drunk. Before that probably two weeks at a BBQ a similar amount and style of consumption.

My questions is how sensitive are the tests, should I stop drinking for a week / two weeks before considering taking the test?

Is the level of drinking described above going to risk being considered abusive?

Thanks in advance,

M

Hi There,

I was convicted of DD and in the high risk category due to the amount I had consumed being high. Although I was never a dependant drinker, I was a regular social drinker at weekends, and the level of consumption probably put me in the binge category.

My ban has now expired and I have been sent the letter requesting that I get the medical examination.

Since my conviction I have made changes in my life, I stopped drinking altogether for around 6 months. This year I have started to drink socially again but infrequently and not to the same degree I used to.

I don't drink on week days or with meals etc, I probably have 1-3 nights out a month where I will drink.

On Friday (yesterday) as an example I drank around 5 pints of beer over the course of an afternoon and evening with clients, drunk slowly and with water so at no point was I particularly drunk. Before that probably two weeks at a BBQ a similar amount and style of consumption.

My questions is how sensitive are the tests, should I stop drinking for a week / two weeks before considering taking the test?

Is the level of drinking described above going to risk being considered abusive?

Thanks in advance,

M

Occasional drinking, even if more than recommended daily limits, are not going to cause a problem with a CDT test, it is designed to pick up alcohol dependancy. It is not necessary to abstain altogether for any period of time, so if your description of your recent drinking is accurate you should have no problem at all with the medical.
if you were banned prior to 1st June 2013, which seems likely from what you say, then you can ask DVLA for authority do drive under S88 Road Traffic Act 1988 pending the outcome of your medical. That would be providing that your doctor indicates that there are no medical problems that would mean that you should not be driving.

Occasional drinking, even if more than recommended daily limits, are not going to cause a problem with a CDT test, it is designed to pick up alcohol dependancy. It is not necessary to abstain altogether for any period of time, so if your description of your recent drinking is accurate you should have no problem at all with the medical.
if you were banned prior to 1st June 2013, which seems likely from what you say, then you can ask DVLA for authority do drive under S88 Road Traffic Act 1988 pending the outcome of your medical. That would be providing that your doctor indicates that there are no medical problems that would mean that you should not be driving.

Hi, thanks for your response, very reassuring. Sounds like I shouldn't have any issue.

I was banned before the 1st of June. Do you make that request on the phone or in writing? Great tip.

Thanks,

You're welcome....
you can ask them by phone, but ask them to put it in writing, that way you have the letter to show the police if stopped.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off