DVLA MEDICAL TOMORROW, NEED SOME ADVISE PLEASE :(

Convicted Driver Insurance

lollychop26

Hi everyone...
May I first say that this site has been a real crutch for me the past nearly 3 years, so thank you to everyone who contributes in anyway:)
I have my DVLA medical tomorrow and will keep updating, results good or bad, as I know from scouring for advise myself how its good to read someones experience from start to finish.
Needless to say I will NEVER drink and drive again. But for the past 10 years I have been what most would consider a heavy drinker n(bottle of red wine a night) especially whilst I've not had my license.
I have not had a drink now for nearly 5 weeks, which I've actually enjoyed so plan to continue going forward!
Buit I am really worried that because of the heavy drinking, the CDT test will fail.
Does CDT testing really only relate to alcohol consumed in the last 4 weeks or is this just a myth? Does anyone have any experience in failing a CDT test after abstaining for 4 weeks prior?
Any advise would be greatly received guys.
lollychop

Well as promised, here is my update. Will continue to update even if no one replies or bothers commenting.
The medical was literally 15 minutes, I would like to say it was completely painless but the fact that I've lied on the majority of the questionnaire doesn't sit well. Who doesn't have more that 6 units of alcohol in one sitting regularly or within the last 3 years?surely that's lots of people, but doesn't mean you'll ever make such a stupid mistake again? But if you answer yes, that's going to trigger them looking into you more closely, or not?
On the day I made that stupid mistake, I was unknown to me at the time still in the deepest grief for the loss of my boyfriend 2 years to the very day. I had not dealt with it, and was excuse the pun a car crash waiting to happen. I wasn't and have never been 'alcohol dependant' I was mentally unwell which after losing my license went on for a further 3 months, resulting it me shamefully now taking an overdose which thank god I pulled through from - but if the dvla check with my gp it will say that on this episode alcohol was involved. This was 2.5 years ago, and through the right help I have learned to deal with my grief through councillor etc, am a completely different person, but I think if they do check excuse my French, Im f*cked. I'll look like a liability waiting to happen. It doesn't help that I think the doc i saw was quite anti getting us back on the road, he made me tick yes to 'have you ever misused or had a dependency on alcohol' because he said 'well you drank drove so you must put yes to this.' so now that will trigger going to my gp, which will show that when I had my moment alcohol was involved, but I was bloody ill! Not feeling confident about this at all.

Well as promised, here is my update. Will continue to update even if no one replies or bothers commenting.
The medical was literally 15 minutes, I would like to say it was completely painless but the fact that I've lied on the majority of the questionnaire doesn't sit well. Who doesn't have more that 6 units of alcohol in one sitting regularly or within the last 3 years?surely that's lots of people, but doesn't mean you'll ever make such a stupid mistake again? But if you answer yes, that's going to trigger them looking into you more closely, or not?
On the day I made that stupid mistake, I was unknown to me at the time still in the deepest grief for the loss of my boyfriend 2 years to the very day. I had not dealt with it, and was excuse the pun a car crash waiting to happen. I wasn't and have never been 'alcohol dependant' I was mentally unwell which after losing my license went on for a further 3 months, resulting it me shamefully now taking an overdose which thank god I pulled through from - but if the dvla check with my gp it will say that on this episode alcohol was involved. This was 2.5 years ago, and through the right help I have learned to deal with my grief through councillor etc, am a completely different person, but I think if they do check excuse my French, Im f*cked. I'll look like a liability waiting to happen. It doesn't help that I think the doc i saw was quite anti getting us back on the road, he made me tick yes to 'have you ever misused or had a dependency on alcohol' because he said 'well you drank drove so you must put yes to this.' so now that will trigger going to my gp, which will show that when I had my moment alcohol was involved, but I was bloody ill! Not feeling confident about this at all.

Hi Lollychop,

Firstly, whilst they look at a 3 year window closely, it does state somewhere on here that if they find you have misused alcohol in the last 6 months or been dependent in the last year it is an issue. If your records show that actually it was 2.5 years ago you had an incident where alcohol was misused (the overdose) I would be surprised if this would be enough to stop you getting your licence back again.

Frankly I think the GP wasn't very fair as my ban was only 6 months so of course I drank to excess at that time appreciating my reading was high, but she didn't tick yes she ticked no! Each doctor seems to be different. If your medical files show no issues since that time I would imagine that even if they write for a GP report it isn't going to be condemning.. At worst if they wanted to be bloody minded they might only give you a licence for a year as I have read has happened previously.

If you have abstained for 5 weeks then that's fab and will help your CDT result immensely. I am not going to sit here and tell you not to worry as I did even though I drank nothing from the day I was arrested.

Keep us posted.... did he ask for your last drink date and how much? I totally agree with you about the 6 units part, its a flippin joke and frankly every person I know including my now 81 year old Mum and an 88 year old Auntie are therefore under the category of 'binge drinkers' ass are almost all the Mums I know from school... Since the day I was arrested (2nd May 2013) I have had 3 glasses of wine.... it quite literally put me off drinking and I have just come back from a week in Spain all inclusive so drink as much as you like and still didn't drink a thing even though I was no where near a car or needed to drive :)

Glad you feel better for your break from red wine and best of luck...
Moodle

Hi Moodle, thanks for your message :)

He did ask me my last drink date and it also did on the questionnare, I thought best not put 5 weeks ago so I said I'd had 2 glasses of wine on 27th may... dunno whether that was the right thing to do or not!? Its really hard to know what to do as it's almost like its always tring to catch you out, I understand why its put in place but its a difficult one.
Will keep you posted, not sure how long it's going to take to get any kind of result back - by the looks of some of the posts on here it could be a while!
Thanks for your advise and replying, Hope you enjoyed your weekend :)

Any news yet?
My hubby is going for his in three weeks.
He had 5 weeks with no alcohol then 4 double vodkas (world cup) and does not plan on any more until end of July (holidays) so hopes he passes blood test as he was drinking every day after he lost his licence and had elevated enzymes on his blood at gp's. He did not realise that this could be a factor in getting his licence back until I came across this site. He drank more as he could not drive and was very fed up about it all (not depression etc)
Also he has absolutely no intention to put himself (and me as it affects all of us ferrying him to work etc!) again.

Hiya,

Nope - no news yet. Called the DVLA mediacl team today, and they said that they have the result back, and all the info now, but had to write back out to the gp who took the medical exam for more info so that delayed it?? So god knows what that was about, in fact on thinking about it I probably do actually - when I'd filled in the questionnarre, there was a question which said ''are you or have you been reliant on alcohol or miss used alcohol?'' - to this question I ticked no - but the doctor said ''well thats not true is it because you drunk and drove...'' and TICKED YES HIMSELF!!! So I told him I did not agree with this statement, after a bit of arguing he siad 'right ok it's your questionnare I'll tip ex it out...''
So basically, the dvla have probly seen the tip ex on the yes and thought whats going on here? I will be f*cking fuming if this cocks it up for me - he was a real dodgy doctor and I think very anti drink drive, they should be impartial because they are getting paid for it!
anyway, I hope your hubbie gets on with his ok - he should be fine from reading off here as long as he doesn't have anything else to drink between now and then.... it's a really crappy stage though, feels like im in limbo! Good luck

Hiya,

Nope - no news yet. Called the DVLA mediacl team today, and they said that they have the result back, and all the info now, but had to write back out to the gp who took the medical exam for more info so that delayed it?? So god knows what that was about, in fact on thinking about it I probably do actually - when I'd filled in the questionnarre, there was a question which said ''are you or have you been reliant on alcohol or miss used alcohol?'' - to this question I ticked no - but the doctor said ''well thats not true is it because you drunk and drove...'' and TICKED YES HIMSELF!!! So I told him I did not agree with this statement, after a bit of arguing he siad 'right ok it's your questionnare I'll tip ex it out...''
So basically, the dvla have probly seen the tip ex on the yes and thought whats going on here? I will be f*cking fuming if this cocks it up for me - he was a real dodgy doctor and I think very anti drink drive, they should be impartial because they are getting paid for it!
anyway, I hope your hubbie gets on with his ok - he should be fine from reading off here as long as he doesn't have anything else to drink between now and then.... it's a really crappy stage though, feels like im in limbo! Good luck

Hiya Lolly,

That is pretty outrageous, there is a big difference between misusing alcohol and having a few drinks! You might want to express that to the DVLA at some point as he does sound as if he is either anti drink driving or not understanding the definition of misuse!

To be honest I think putting that amount as what you drank on the last occasion was a good move although of course I am not suggesting people lie on forms.. hopefully it wont be long now then :)

Sorry its taken me ages to reply, manic life at the moment ...

Moodle

Hi Moodle - hope you're not been to hectic this week! ;)

Little update for all those who are going through or soon to be this god awful process...

I rang the DVLA this week to see if there was any update (had the medical on 4/6/14) and was advised that a letter had been sent out to my GP requesting further information.... They don't do this as standard so clearly I panicked then.

You can actually request your CDT test result from DVLA if you scan in a signed request (they need your siginute) emailing the drivers medical team eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk (handy for people to know) so I emailed them...

Just had a reply today, the result was 0.8%, so thats absolutely fine (I abstained for 5 weeks prior) so basically, I'm not sure why they are contacting my GP. All I can think is that because of that stupid doctor ticking 'yes' to the ''are you dependant on or missused alcohol in the last 3 years'' question, then tippexing it out when I disputed it... think it's triggered concern their end.

So - I don't know whether I should call through the medical team and basically explain what happened at my medical because it really wasn't right for him to ammend my questionnare at all. Without the DVLA knowing this is why there is tippex on there, they could be thinking I've ticked yes to this question then changed my mind and ticked no? What does anyone think I should you????

I think I would contact them if it was us. But if they are contacting your GP now anyway I don't suppose it will make any difference to the outcome now. I think it's a disgrace and a waste of money to drag the process out when you passed the blood work. Thanks for the email address as I think we will need it also. Good luck and keep us informed.
Deana

CDT Medical HELP PLEASE

Hi All,

In desperate need of some help :/

I have a CDT test with DVLA in 4 weeks. I havent drank at all for 1 week and will not until the CDT so I will not have drank for 5 weeks. Prior to this I drank heavy on a Saturday night (4/5 beers & a couple of shorts) and a couple of beers 2/3 days during the week.
Will my CDT be normal after 5 weeks of no alchol drinking?

Replies will be greatly appreciated :)

Hi Tick,

I gave up drinking for 4.5 weeks prior to my test, before this I drank far too much (1 bottle of strong red wine per night, on a bad day 2, more at weekends) and my CDT test result was 0.8% - if mine came out like that I think anyone's can providing you abstain completely so please don't panic :)

Lolly

Hi Deana, thanks for your reply.

I know, its a bloody outrage.... more so because I know if that doctor had not have fiddled with my form I'd have had my license back by now. I'm not on any medication, no illness to declare etc.... I think I will contact them and tell them purely because I don't think he should have touched the questionnare at all, that is meant to be filled in by the patient NOT the doctor. If he is so anti drink driving which I can only pressume thats why he did it, he shouldnt be carrying out these tests, it should be impartial!
Probably got a long wait ahead now but Im driving under section 88 so it'll be ok, would be peeved off if I couldnt do that though x

Hi Tick,

I gave up drinking for 4.5 weeks prior to my test, before this I drank far too much (1 bottle of strong red wine per night, on a bad day 2, more at weekends) and my CDT test result was 0.8% - if mine came out like that I think anyone's can providing you abstain completely so please don't panic :)

Lolly

Thanks Lolly :)

You get some really mixed messages on this forum! o it gets a little confusing...

I will let you know how I get on ;)

Hi,

I have been reading all the posts with interest and wish you all the best of luck. I have just applied for my licence, and will need a medical. I am classed as a high risk offender, and was highly dependant on alcohol for years. I have some liver damage which is unlikely to fix itself, but having stopped drinking completely at the end of August 2013 after being in hospital as I was having seizures due to withdrawal, I feel great and my doctor is very pleased. I know I can't drink again whatever happens. Really I shouldn't be alive, I was one of the lucky ones. However I am still worried about the medical showing up abnormal readings, and I will be devastated if my application is refused after all this time. I was completely honest on the medical form about the liver damage/seizures etc, but I am hoping that my GP will put in a good report if required. I suppose the next step is to arrange the medical with the local centre, after I hear back from the DVLA.
I'll let you know if you're interested,

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter :)

May I first say I ADMIRE YOU VERY MUCH for turning things around for yourself. I really hope you get your license back - I can't see why not when you have almost a year in recovery and the support from your doctor, at worst I think they will give you a temporary year one?
The test they do should be ok if you no longer drink as it tests for a certain carbohydrate that is produced by the liver from recent binge drinking, where as the old method was more long term abuse detection.
please please keep us updated, when is your ban up? Lolly

Thanks Lolly,

My ban was way back in September 2009 for 18 months (14 months with the drink/drive course) and a fine. It was only a matter of time before I got caught, and I was 3x over the limit. Thank God no-one ever got hurt. Since then I was drinking heavy then stopping then starting again - it's a long story, but driving was out of the question. I felt really good even after 3/4 months quitting so I applied again before Xmas after a liver function test which was (somehow) OK. I thought I would be able to get through the medical after this, but the application was revoked, saying I had to be free from dependence for 12 months. I wasn't really surprised after what I'd put myself through.
Anyway I am just waiting now, and getting out and about on my bike:). Glad that it seems to have worked out for you, eventually.

Cheers, Peter.

Update - just got my license though the post :-D
so relieved to finally put this mess behind me. Onwards and upwards!
Peter, please keep us updated. Im sure you'll be fine with getting yours back, you've done everything you can and anything they ask so it won't be a problem. Try not to worry yourself about it, although I did so I know its unstoppable! Best of luck x

hi lollychop26

good to here you got it back just looking to see how long did it take from you applied for it did it take the 90days for the date you could apply or longer as I my 90 days will be due 2 /9/14 I hope it don't take any longer as my ban will be up on the 31.10.14 got letter other day saying I was getting another month ban for my pcv which sucks big time lol I have not really drank much so I should be fine for medical hopefully thanks rab

Update - just got my license though the post :-D
so relieved to finally put this mess behind me. Onwards and upwards!
Peter, please keep us updated. Im sure you'll be fine with getting yours back, you've done everything you can and anything they ask so it won't be a problem. Try not to worry yourself about it, although I did so I know its unstoppable! Best of luck x

Great news, Lolly. I have a feeling mine will take a few weeks/months - there seems to be a huge backlog of applications from what I've heard.
Drive carefully and watch out for the speed cameras!

Peter

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off