Blew in 80's first Drink Driving charge & no solicitor. help!

Convicted Driver Insurance

clio_nomore

I have a court date in 7 days time & I cant really afford a solicitor but don't think I qualify for legal aid! What will happen if I don't have a solicitor??

It is my first ever driving offence, any offence really. Only had my licence 8 months, im obviously gutted & ashamed and sorry but I don't know what to expect at the courts!!

I will plead guilty and take my ban but will I get community hours? I blew in 80's at the station, lowest reading I think was 84. Also how long will the court last?? I have to be there for 9:45am but I have to but out for at least 1:30am for work. I cant get the day off work & if I don't go in or im late I will definitely get the sack, I know this for sure!

need advice, can I go in alone? im skint

I have a court date in 7 days time & I cant really afford a solicitor but don't think I qualify for legal aid! What will happen if I don't have a solicitor??

It is my first ever driving offence, any offence really. Only had my licence 8 months, im obviously gutted & ashamed and sorry but I don't know what to expect at the courts!!

I will plead guilty and take my ban but will I get community hours? I blew in 80's at the station, lowest reading I think was 84. Also how long will the court last?? I have to be there for 9:45am but I have to but out for at least 1:30am for work. I cant get the day off work & if I don't go in or im late I will definitely get the sack, I know this for sure!

For a reading of 84mg the sentencing guidelines suggest a disqualification of between 17 - 22 months and a band C fine which is 125% - 175% of your weekly income. No community service or anything else.

You probably wont benefit having a Solicitor for a straight guilty plea.

Have a read through this thread
, it will save me from typing the same again.

There is no guarantee you will be finished by 1.30pm (I assume you meant pm not am). Often it is a long wait until you enter the courtroom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upon a first conviction of driving with excess alcohol and a breath reading of 84 sentencing guidelines suggest a band C fine and a driving disqualification of between 17 and 22 months. The majority of first time offenders usually benefit from the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course which once completed can reduce any period of disqualification imposed by up to 25%. If the magistrates do not mention the drink driving rehabilitation course (they usually do) then you should ask them if you can have the opportunity to take it.

Having a solicitor represent you is not a requirement, however, if you would like to speak to a solicitor then you can request to speak to the duty solicitor on the morning you arrive at court. Duty solicitors are only obliged to provide legal assistance to defendants facing a custodial sentence or those already in custody. This means that speaking to a duty solicitor is not guaranteed in your case, however, they often provide legal assistance to defendants who are not in custody or facing a custodial sentence, however, this will depend on their workload on the day.

There is no guarantee that your case will be heard by 1:30pm. It may be that your case will be the first case to be heard in the morning or the last case to be heard in the afternoon.

Our guide to appearing at magistrates court for drink driving offences may prove useful to you.

Let us know how you get on at court.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off