Getting back on the road-Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance

strontium90

Well Known Member
Ok..I've got past the 1st hurdle and have received a letter stating my 10 year driving license will arrive "shortly"

(It has taken 5 months to date and my 3 year ban was over in Sept...but that's another story)

Some questions

In GB, when you get your license back after a ban is it a provisional only?

It seems we have to sit the theory test 1st (£31), then the practical test..

I've seen on their website some drink drivers have to complete an "extended practical test" of 70 minutes.. (another £91)

Which test is applicable in my case?

The endorsement will be something like "50 08 123"

No online insurance has an option for this endorsement so should I call it DR01?

The sooner that hole in Coleraine is closed and we are brought under the jurisdiction of Swansea, same as the rest of the UK, the better

Also will this "change in the Law" on another thread affect this backwater too?

Ok..I've got past the 1st hurdle and have received a letter stating my 10 year driving license will arrive "shortly"

(It has taken 5 months to date and my 3 year ban was over in Sept...but that's another story)

Some questions

In GB, when you get your license back after a ban is it a provisional only?

It seems we have to sit the theory test 1st (£31), then the practical test..

I've seen on their website some drink drivers have to complete an "extended practical test" of 70 minutes.. (another £91)

Which test is applicable in my case?

The endorsement will be something like "50 08 123"

No online insurance has an option for this endorsement so should I call it DR01?

The sooner that hole in Coleraine is closed and we are brought under the jurisdiction of Swansea, same as the rest of the UK, the better

Also will this "change in the Law" on another thread affect this backwater too?

Strontium, I am in Northern Ireland too. I have 13 days to go until my ban is over.
The extended test only applies if you were a high risk offender (over 86 of a reading or something similar).
If you're not a high risk offender then you only need to do the theory test and then the practical test but no extended test. You can't book the theory test until you have your provisional licence in your hand because you need to show it at the theory test centre. And of course you can't book the practical test until you've done the theory test!
It may also be advisable to have a few lessons before the practical test too. It's not that you need to learn how to drive but you need to know how to pass the driving test, if that makes sense. All the silly little processes that you need to go through in the test are easily forgotten but if you get them wrong then you're likely to fail. I plan to have a half day of lessons followed by an hour before the actual test to make sure I have the best chance of passing.
As for the rest of the UK........in most cases those lucky buggers get their licence back without doing a test. I think it's only here and the Isle of Man where you have to do a test again when convicted of drink driving.

Unfortunately Chris125, I was a HRO (refused sample) and had to do the medical etc...see the sticky thread at the top of this page....am trying to find info as to what it actually curtails...

As for lessons...the DVA testers prefer to see you in an instructors car and you won't have the hassle of getting insurance to pass the test

Unfortunately Chris125, I was a HRO (refused sample) and had to do the medical etc...see the sticky thread at the top of this page....am trying to find info as to what it actually curtails...

As for lessons...the DVA testers prefer to see you in an instructors car and you won't have the hassle of getting insurance to pass the test

Why don't you ask a driving instructor? Surely they'll know exactly what is involved in the extended test.

I suppose I will Chris125...I've only just received a letter saying I will get my license "shortly"...I will do the theory part next...one step at a time

Strontium, read the following link about the extended driving test.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/in...tions/the-extended-practical-driving-test.htm

I have queried this before and assumed the Magistrate could order an extended test but i think it has to do with what you have been convicted off as to whether you have to sit an extended test.

When I was first disqualified 10 years ago I was ordered to sit an extended test, I was convicted under Article 16(1)(a) Road Traffic NI Order 1995:
"drives or attempts to drive a motor vehicle on a road or other public place after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath, blood or urine exceed the prescribed limit he is guilty of an offence. "
the wording of the Certificate of Conviction reads "Disqualified for 12 months until tested, extended test ordered."

There was a mix up with the DVLA and I only sat an ordinary driving test.
My 2nd conviction was Article 15(1) Road Traffic NI Order 1995:
"A person who, when driving or attempting to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place, is unfit to drive through drink or drugs is guilty of an offence."
The wording of this Certificate is Disqualified for Duration and until Tested (3 Years).

I have no idea what wording they used for my conviction...I will do the theory first and enquire of Coleraine...it's £91 so not as extortionate as the medical...will keep you all posted

Finally received the license today...

Some questions

The offence code is 5008138....although it doesn't appear in their pamphlet or their website, I assume it's the same as 5008139, failure to provide a specimen...what is the English offence code for this so I can declare it for online insurance applications?

The disq period is 3YDUT...I take it this means the extended test?

It says this stays on for 11 years in their pamphlet...will this change under the new law in another thread?

Strontium,

I would assume the 3YDUT means 3 year disqualification until tested but I could be wrong.

I checked out other websites but could not find that code.

Strontium,

That was probably a code made up by staff in Coleraine DVLA !!

It took you 5 weeks to get the licence after your medical, think you had yours on 3rd February. I had mine on 14th February so should expect to receive mine in 2 weeks. I have been checking my bank account and they still have not taken the payment for the medical and application for the provisional licence nor have I received a letter from Coleraine to say the medical results were OK etc..... Starting to panic a bit.

Last edited:
Don't worry AndyCabs...It was the same for me...each day the postman came, I was sick with nerves thinking a letter telling me it was declined was sure to come, because it was taking so long....

If there was something wrong I'm sure it wouldn't have got as far as the medical..

I will certainly be shedding no tears for them, if Coleraine is closed...the sooner it is amalgamated with Swansea the better...hopefully their offence codes will become an anachronism, like themselves :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off