My situation, dangerous driving, drink driving failing to stop. Questions?

Convicted Driver Insurance

iazoniccc

Hi all this is my first post here,

First thing that i should make clear is my undying regret for my mindless stupidity, I have not come here seeking sympathy, i am thoroughly ashamed of my actions.

On 19th December 2011 I had taken my car on a night out as was my routine, I would leave it locked securely in a car park to the rear of the high street for the night and jump in a taxi and collect it the day (or sometimes two) later. This night was different. It was exceptionally cold and come closing time both myself and a young lady i had met were standing in line waiting for a taxi absolutely freezing numb. I searched for any money i had remaining to make sure i had sufficient amount to pay our fare. The pretty lady noticed that my keys contained my car key and asked if i had a car with me, I confirmed that indeed i did and that i always bring my car with me and pick it up a day later. She asked if we could possibly walk the 2-300 meters to my car and sit inside with the engine running to stay warm until the taxi queue had shortened and we would not have to wait too long in the freezing cold. I did not like the idea and indeed if i was on my own would have been quite happy to brave the cold until a taxi was available. However she was very petite and wearing very little, I had no jacket or jumper to give her and in order to keep my new friend happy agreed that we do just that. So we did, and she was happy, very happy in fact. I received a lot of affection for that. Then my man brain kicked in and decided that it should be my job to get us both home and that she should not have to wait another second in the freezing cold. I could have rang up a local firm and booked a taxi to collect us from the car park, that wouldnt have been a problem to them. But no i dip the clutch and shot it into first and pull away with confidence, i wont get caught, i know people who do this every weekend. Wrong. First corner i take and there's a police van right behind me. It signals for me to stop with the blue lights. I stop, look in my offside mirror to see that an officer has alighted his van to approach my window. I panic and speed away, the road is icy, my car (Vectra 2.5 v6) skids and hits a metal railing which knocks out the tracking a little bit, i continue, thinking honestly i can still get away with this!! No i cant!! the nearside tyre bursts and i bring the car to a stop. The pursuit lasts about 2 miles. By the time it had ended there was about 5 other units had joined the van. The tracking issue had meant the average speed of my car was around 30-40mph. About 10 officers quickly arrived at my drivers door and dragged me to the ground, using pepper spray, im even pretty sure i was kicked in the ribs a couple of times but that's neither here nor there. Long story short, roadside breath test 55mg, police station test 52mg and offered blood test. Bloods ended up coming back like 89mg or something like that. Charged with Drink driving, Dangerous driving and Failing to stop. First court day i had no legal representation as i thought i was looking at a ban and a fine. I thought I didn't need the extra cost of a solicitor when the circumstances were pretty clear cut. They said they strongly recommended i seek legal representation and come back a week later which i did. They then told me the case was too serious to be dealt with at magistrates and would have to be committed to Teesside Crown Court. Then i started to worry. The case came up a month or two later and i read the witness statements from the officers involved. I was happy to plead guilty on every charge but there was some things in there that were clearly fabricated, for example, i was driving the complete wrong side of the carriageway against oncoming traffic. That simply did not happen. Solicitor advised against arguing and to just accept and apologise, which i did. Bottom line was 9 months prison suspended for 18 months, 2 years driving ban, 250 hours unpaid work in the community and £700 fine. The ban is due to end in 13 weeks and its actually getting to the point where i can actually start looking forward to it. Driving and mechanics is my biggest hobby and i have been absolutely lost without them. One hundred percent the worst period in my life. The beginning was just sheer relief at not being jailed. The middle part was the worst feeling like it was still an age away. One thing is for sure, i will NEVER drink and drive again, the repercussions if caught are simply world-ending to me, not to mention the people that could have lost their lives had they been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I hope my story can deter anyone reading that might ever do something as stupid as i did if they're reading.

I have a few questions regarding my upcoming end-of-disqualification if i may put them to you fine people?

A. After the disqualification period is up, can i drive my own car with a new provisional licence and suitable supervisor (ie. my girlfriend with 5 year licence) plus L plates? (part of my sentence was disqualification until test pass but this is slightly ambiguous in that i cannot take a test without driving a car and i cannot drive a car until i pass a test?)

B. i know i can apply for the licence before the disqualification period is up but can i apply for the tests as the waiting period for those tests is effectively prolonging my ban by 6 or 8 weeks?

Thanks for reading, i know its a little long winded, sorry!!

Actually further to my above post, I realised I missed out a question.

C. I know my blood/breath was quite far above the limit, but will I be needing some sort of medical to satisfy the DVLA? (I don't even drink any more, literally tee-total!!)

Thanks again

Iazoniccc,
A classic case of a certain part of the body taking over the thought process from the brain"
To answer your questions:
the guidance for your circumstances are here....
https://www.gov.uk/driving-disqualifications/disqualification-until-test-pass-or-extended-test-pass

6. Disqualification until 'test pass' or 'extended test pass'
If you’re disqualified until ‘test pass’ or ‘extended test pass’ and want to drive again, you must apply for a new provisional driving licence before you take the tests you need.

How to get a new licence
DVLA will send you a reminder 56 days before your disqualification ends - use this to apply for a new provisional driving licence.
Book and take a theory and practical test (or compulsory basic training (CBT) and motorcycle practical test if you ride a motorcycle). If you’re disqualified until ‘extended test pass’, book an extended practical test (which lasts 70 minutes). The fees are higher for extended tests.
When you’ve passed the practical test, ask the examiner to arrange for your new licence to be sent to you - you can legally drive as soon as you’ve passed the practical test.

So you should get details from DVLA in 5 weeks or so. What you have to do is to arrange to take some lessons "off road" to get yourself up to speed for taking the practical test. These lessons are available in various parts of the country, often shown as lessons for 15 year olds.
Is it a 'normal' or 'extended' test that you were ordered to do? There is a difference in the content of the tests, and the cost.
To apply for your theory test, you will have to give your driving licence number. I must confess I am not sure if DVLA quote that on the letter that they write to you, you will have to ring them and ask for your DL number if not.
you cannot apply for your practical test until you have passed your theory test.
You will not have to do a medical, as that only applies to a second conviction for drink driving in 10 years, a sample 2 1/2 times or more the legal limit or a failure to provide a sample.

Thanks for your reply, I'm not one hundred percent sure but I have a feeling it may be an extended one, I am aware of the length of the test and the price being higher. I'll ring up the DVLA tomorrow to confirm. Am I right in thinking then that once the disqualification period is up and my nice new provisional has arrived that I cannot drive my own car with my girlfriend as the supervisor with L plates and obviously relevant learner insurance? Do you think there would be some place like that where I could take my own car and sort of get back into the swing of it? I really do not feel I need professional lessons as such. I was kind of hoping to take the practical test in my own car?

Yes, you can take the test in your own vehicle. The examiner may well want to see that there is insurance cover and an MOT for the vehicle, whereas he would presume that they are in place for an instructors car.
As to getting some practice, I would definitely advise you to do that. You will be rusty after your 2 years ban. It is not just about driving, you have to drive to a standard to pass a test, something many people (including me) would dread.
You will need to find a place where the land owner will allow you to practice. Remember that places like supermarket car parks are a no no, you can still be arrested for driving whilst disqualified on them, even after shop opening hours.
Goodge " off road driving" for the area that you live and see what shows up. There may be a disused airfield where driving practice is allowed. Near to me there was an old wartime hanger area where young people could go on a Sunday morning to begin to learn driving. It was laid out with junctions and roundabouts and gave them a good start. Sadly that has now closed. Just make sure that you find a place that is private access, not public access so you do not get further problems. If it is private, and you have permission, there is nothing stopping you from practicing now.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off