Thinking about reapplying for licence.

Convicted Driver Insurance

aj88

Hi Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

I was banned 4 and a half years ago after failing a blood test and failing to provide a breath specimen.

I am a recovered alcoholic for just over a year. I don't drink. I decided one day I was going to die if I didn't recover. Not good at age 25. I was banned for driving early afternoon after a bender in 2009. I drank only socially then. It was only later when I developed insomnia 2 years ago did I become an alcoholic as a means to sleep. I also illegally obtained diazepam and was addicted to them until a year ago. My gp was aware of both.

Ironically it turned out it was anti depressants that caused the insomnia then when I quit taking them I'd developed a habit so resorted to drinking again. I eventually recovered from insomnia. I've been drug and booze free for over a year.

I'm thinking now I'm recovered and responsible enough to drive about going for my medical. My main concern is given my poor history over a year ago if I'm likely to pass when they or if they write to my gp. The blood tests aren't a concern but medical history is.

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light on my situation.

Thanks

Aj88,
due to a quirk in the law, anyone convicted prior to 1st June 2013, who need to do a medical as you do, can drive once they have submitted an application to DVLA for the restoration of their driving licence after a ban. This is before the medical has been completed and evaluated. it is called a S88 authority to drive. Submit your application and then ask DVLA to confirm that you can drive under s88 while the process goes through.
as to the outcome of the medical, you should be honest on the form and with the doctor who interviews you. DVLA medical section will then check with your doctor to see what he thinks, and it appears that he will be supportive. This might only result in a one year licence to begin with, and then you will have to go through the whole medical process again, but it will be a good start.
Well done for tackling your daemons, getting back on the road can only help with rebuilding your life.

While Price1367 gives you the best answer, aj88, there are number of things you need to consider...I'm in N Ireland but it should be much the same over there...

I went through rehab over a year ago and was told I must be alcohol free for over a year before applying for my license...(legally anyone who has been through rehab, lost license or not, should report this to DVLA and their license will be revoked for a year although most conveniently ignore this)..

As you point out, your blood tests aren't a concern...however, if you declare all this, they will at best only give you a one year license (even with your GPs support), could refuse you a license (potentially very damaging with insurance etc)...

Another option is to be economical with the truth...the questionnaire only asks if you've been through detox and if your GP advised you to cut down...you could "misunderstand" those questions...

It's your call and if you can live with the worry/stress of not telling all...I'm not advising you too..

My point is that it seems unfair that people like you aj88, that have accepted they have a problem and sought help, can be further punished by the DVLA, beyond what is handed down by the courts...

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off