Applying for early return of Licence - Some Questions

Convicted Driver Insurance

malla196739

Hi

I am in the process of applying for the return of my licence early. I was banned for 3 years (2nd offense).
My 2 years are up on 21st December 2013 and I have already applied to the Magistrates Court for my Court hearing.
I am hoping to get this if the first week of January 2014, and I am preparing my case as we speak.
I do however have a few questions to throw out there so please help if you can.......

1) Can I apply to the DVLA for a medical in advance of my hearing (and result) and can I take that medical before my Court Appearance.

2) If the case is successful, can I then drive under section 88 ? Can I drive from Court Date (if successful) or does DVLA have to inform me
of my driving date (under section 88)

1. I am afraid that you cannot apply for a medical in advance of the hearing.
2. You can only drive if you are successful, make an application to DVLA and then request that you be allowed to drive under S88 pending the outcome of medical enquiries. I would suggest that you should be in possession of the letter from DVLA confirming s88 before you do venture on the road, so that you have something to produce if stopped.
Did you get a reduction in your ban (up to 9 months) by doing a drink drive rehabilitation course, or are you looking for the whole year off through a change in circumstances / hardship?

Hi price1367

Thank you for your reply. I was not offered the course as I was sentenced by a District Judge
who basically gave me a good telling off (and rightly so) and I had done the DD Course before (1st time).

The main reason for my application for early return is that I have been offered a job in Australia and would be
looking to emigrate with my family early 2014. I just thought it would be easier to obtain an Aussie Licence
if I presented and switched with my UK one (apparently it is that easy) and I would be starting with a clean slate there.

If the emigration thing does not happen for one reason or another, I have been offered a rekindled Sales role
at work which would mean driving every day. The company that I work for need the potential sales to survive
(there is a workforce of 20 that work there and things are hit and miss whether they can last another 12 months).

Either way, an early return would benefit a lot of people as well as myself.

My breath reading was 43 / bloods were 103 so I hope this helps with the decision.

Thanks

Malla

Malla,
I think you should be able to make out a good case.
the reason I ask about the drink drive course is that in similar circumstances, when looking to get the court to agree to a reduction, sometimes people ask to do a course voluntarily, to be able to present the case of them being 'reformed'. There is a fee, but it is reduced from the full fee because it does not carry the guaranteed reduction with it. This can make the difference to the court decision if they are unsure about the request.
I think your emigration case should be strong enough..... Unless you get the same District Judge!
Let us know how it goes....

Hi - Update Time, hope it may help other bruised and battered remorseful (non) drivers

Went to court today to appeal for early return of my licence.

3 year ban, hoping for 1 year off
Sweaty palms and all that but I had meticulously prepared my mitigation in anticipation of the result.
I would suggest that if you are anticipating this method of early return, you are better off with a solicitor (£200 quid + VAT).
You need extensive proof of your case - no chance for winging it. Job offers (in writing) hardship (documented) remorse (just cry!) not really.
I had a very strong case for return, but the Magistrates deliberated for 45 minutes (less for burglary) hence the sweaty palms.
Got the result, thank God, and life can now go on.

If anyone wants advice on how to approach this fearsome situation, please let me know on this thread, I will be more than happy to divulge.

Hello everyone, I was Banned 13/02/2012 for drink driving (2nd conviction) was banned for 4 years. I've just completed a course to reduce my ban by 25% meaning i can drive from 13/02/2015, however I know you can apply to get your licence back after completing half of the disqualification which i have done plus a few months.

I was just kinda wanting advice on how to write the letter to the courts, should i do it? a solicitor? i've attended numerous alcohol course while being banned with proof of this, got into the best physical shape ever from stopping drinking and i retrained to turn my career around. but now i've got the job of my dreams and need a car, also to drive the works van and see/spend time with my daughter.

If i lose this job i'll be knackered!

any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Gareth.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off