Job Application

Convicted Driver Insurance
I was disqualified for drink driving 26 years ago. I blew 43 and received one a year disqualification and a
£200 fine. I had a clean licence prior to this and haven't been prosecuted for any offence since.
I have therefore had a clean licence for 15 years since the DR10 was removed.
Recently I applied to be a bus driver however, I was informed that they won't take any driver who
has been disqualified at any time in the past even if it was 26 years ago.
I have been driving for 39 years and have never had an accident.
I therefore realise that a clean licence after clearing the 11 year DR10 isn't worth
the paper it's written on.
I also realise that a 39 year accident free driving record isn't worth anything either.
Interesting food for thought.

cheifmegawtty, I read your post yesterday and although I understand the rehabilitation of offenders act fairly well, I did not reply. I had hoped Price1367 may of come on and answered you. I know the act states that your type of conviction is classed as "spent" after 5 years. However a bus drivers job involves dealing with children, the elderly, vulnerable people, disabled people etc etc!!

However I have read that Sean Joyce Stevensons firm of solicitors "who offer free advice" on this forum have a department that can get spent drink drive convictions wiped of your criminal history!!!! This is new to me, but my advise is: " cut and paste your original post in (The ask a solicitor) section of these forums"

Thanks Bristol Red for your advice. I have copied and pasted my post into the solicitors advice
section as per your instruction. A few months ago there were articles in the press saying that all minor
offenders who didn't receive a custodial sentence will have their criminal record wiped clean after ten years.
Unfortunately none of the articles said when this was going to happen.

Im not sure by law they are allowed to do that, because under the rehabilitation of offenders act, once the conviction is 'spent' it is not regarded as ever having been committed. Especially that long ago. If the endorsement is no longer on your licence, and under the new filtering on CRB checks after 11 years and it was a single offense it would be filtered from even an advanced CRB check.

And chief megawatt, it is from now. It started in July, they filter out all single (very important) convictions. If you have more than one, all convictions will be shown. Also there are certain convictions that will never be filtered, such as assault, child abuse charges etc.

However it is dodgy ground, if it is classed as a job where all convictions must be disclosed.

Last edited:
Im not sure by law they are allowed to do that, because under the rehabilitation of offenders act, once the conviction is 'spent' it is not regarded as ever having been committed. Especially that long ago. If the endorsement is no longer on your licence, and under the new filtering on CRB checks after 11 years and it was a single offense it would be filtered from even an advanced CRB check.

And chief megawatt, it is from now. It started in July, they filter out all single (very important) convictions. If you have more than one, all convictions will be shown. Also there are certain convictions that will never be filtered, such as assault, child abuse charges etc.

However it is dodgy ground, if it is classed as a job where all convictions must be disclosed.

I am very interested to read about this new legislation. Was the rehabilitation of offenders act amended in July of this year? Please accept my ignorance but I am not a legal advisor and struggle to keep up with new law. I am seriously interested in this topic and would like any links.

Thank you in advance

I am very interested to read about this new legislation. Was the rehabilitation of offenders act amended in July of this year? Please accept my ignorance but I am not a legal advisor and struggle to keep up with new law. I am seriously interested in this topic and would like any links.

Thank you in advance

This is kind of separate from the amendments to the 'ROA act 1974' which makes convictions spent sooner. It is a separate update which makes criminal records checks eliminate any minor convictions that are a one off, over 10 years ago. Its a shame you have to wait 10 years, but its better than nothing I suppose. IMO they really need to do more, as many people have got convictions for ridiculous things when they were in their youth or students, and didn't know any better until they committed the crime. I know getting a conviction is a bad thing but it shouldn't hamper anyone for the rest of their lives. 10 years still seems a long time. Especially when you think driving offenses are hardly comparible to assault, or GBH.

Here are some relevant articles

http://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...nd-warnings-from-criminal-record-certificates

http://www.halsburyslawexchange.co....ine-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders-act-1974/

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off