Section 88 of RTA, awaiting result of DVLA medical, can you get insured to drive?

Convicted Driver Insurance

frustrated

Hi I have written to the solicitor on here regarding Section 88 of the RTA which states that if the DVLA are still assessing your fitness to drive (medical and/or waiting to hear from your GP) you are entitled to drive once your ban is over. Does anyone have any experience of trying to get insurance however. Surely, if you haven't got a licence, no company is going to insure you?? Regardless of whether the section 88 says you are legally allowed to drive??

Has anyone managed to get insurance after their ban is up whilst waiting for the DVLA to come back with results of medical/GP comments etc?

Many thanks

Hi I have written to the solicitor on here regarding Section 88 of the RTA which states that if the DVLA are still assessing your fitness to drive (medical and/or waiting to hear from your GP) you are entitled to drive once your ban is over. Does anyone have any experience of trying to get insurance however. Surely, if you haven't got a licence, no company is going to insure you?? Regardless of whether the section 88 says you are legally allowed to drive??

Has anyone managed to get insurance after their ban is up whilst waiting for the DVLA to come back with results of medical/GP comments etc?

Many thanks

You should be able to get insurance - in fact even whilst banned, if you have a car, it should be insured. It's now illegal to own a car that is not insured - even if it's not being used (excluding sorn). One of the terms of insurance is that you are legally permitted to drive. So the status of your license doesnt affect the possibility of getting insured - just whether or not you can actually drive. I had an existing policy (the insurers new about my conviction) and as soon as I had the medical I was back behind the wheel.

Many thanks

Yes I did and they didn't even ask to see my drivers licence when I got it back again....

Moodle

Moodle who is your insurance with because i am struggling to find a company who doesnt require a copy of your driving licence. i too have been told by the dvla i can drive under section 88.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off