DVLA Medical Test

Convicted Driver Insurance
Can anyone on here help with how long one needs to totally adstain to obtain a normal reading for the DVLA medical? I read on the DVLA website that the test picks up if you have been abusing alcohol for a year.....Since receiving the 3 year ban etc etc I probably have drunk a little more - I certainly didn't stop.....any help would be very much appreciated.

P.S I'm new to this site so apologies if this is repeating any others' questions.

Many thanks!

Hi Regretfulgirlie, I will be taking my medical in 2 weeks and will have abstained from alcohol for 5 weeks at that point. Advice I have been given is abstain for 6 weeks, drink 4 pints of water a day, green tea and take milk thistle tablets (best to get them from a reputable retailer such as holland & Barrett) which all help to flush out toxins and clear your liver as the main part of the medical is the blood test which looks at liver function. Also doing cardio workouts helps.

Heavier drinkers have said that they have abstained for 3 months to get a pass.

Also if you smoke this can raise some of the enzynes they check for so knock that on the head for a week or two before.

I recently posted a list of the questions the doc will ask you during the medical on the 'convicted of drink driving' forum, worth a look so you can prepare what you are going to tell them.

One other thing, they may contact your own GP to see if you have any history of alcohol abuse, worth taking into account if you have ever gone to them with anything alcohol related, they are duty bound to tell the DVLA if asked.

Wish you all the best x

When I had one 6 years ago I was drinking heavily most Saturday nights I stopped drinking for a week before medical and passed it no problem at all !. I don't really drink at all now but have be charged after drinking 3 pints and blowing 69 in breath I couldn't believe it was that high I wasnt at all drunk I wouldn't have driven if I'd known

Thanks so much. I would class myself as a very heavy drinker (red wine every night) - although I have always drunk 2 litres of water a day, plus green tea (i love it) and taken milk thistle. I also excercise regularly and have a very healthy diet. So January should be OK....?

Hi Regretfulgirlie, I will be taking my medical in 2 weeks and will have abstained from alcohol for 5 weeks at that point. Advice I have been given is abstain for 6 weeks, drink 4 pints of water a day, green tea and take milk thistle tablets (best to get them from a reputable retailer such as holland & Barrett) which all help to flush out toxins and clear your liver as the main part of the medical is the blood test which looks at liver function. Also doing cardio workouts helps.

Heavier drinkers have said that they have abstained for 3 months to get a pass.

Also if you smoke this can raise some of the enzynes they check for so knock that on the head for a week or two before.

I recently posted a list of the questions the doc will ask you during the medical on the 'convicted of drink driving' forum, worth a look so you can prepare what you are going to tell them.

One other thing, they may contact your own GP to see if you have any history of alcohol abuse, worth taking into account if you have ever gone to them with anything alcohol related, they are duty bound to tell the DVLA if asked.

Wish you all the best x
forgot to say - good luck!!! Let me know xxx

Sounds like you take pretty good care of yourself already so that is great. If Medical isn't until January then I think you have an excellent chance of passing x

I will keep you up to date on mine! nervous, but haven't been a big drinker for the past year and a half now, however before that I used to party alot and drink far to much on a regular basis - hope there is no lasting damage!!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off