DVLA Medical Doctor

Convicted Driver Insurance

Andy77

Hi all. I am due to take the HRO medical before the end of my ban at the end of March. I applied to DVLA 5 weeks ago so rang to chase up the application. Spoke to a very helpful guy there who told me they had already written to me, but to he would send out the details again and I could contact the doctor to make an appointment in the mean time. Expecting a journey of a train, two buses, long walk etc I was surprised when he told me the practise was in my own town, and yet more surprised when it turn's out it's my own GP who will carry out the tests!

I asked specifically if this would not cause some legal conflict of interest and apparently not. Has anyone had this happen?

Just an update for you. It seems the doctor issue was nothing to worry about.

My medical was on May 10th and my license arrived back on Wednesday 25th, so it really increased the pace of my application. Although my doctor carried out a thorough examination (and nearly split the vein taking my blood sample :rolleyes: ) I feel it helped him knowing my medical background (I've seen him for 25 years) and obviously negated the need for the DVLA to revert back to a GP if the results were inconclusive.

To all those taking a medical, this was my honest preparation for it:

*No alcohol at all in January
*Drank a 2/3 days a week through Feb and early March, maximum intake 38 units in one week
*Stopped drinking again on 7th March
*Exercised 10 hours per week (luckily I play semi-pro football so was fairly fit anyway)
*Took Milk Thistle for 30 days

Although I haven't seen the figures of my results for AGT, GGT etc, my Doc said I 'comfortably' came into the 'normal' range.

This method is by no means a guarantee of passing, but it's my story and hoped it may offer some help.

All the best.

Andy

Well done! It's good to hear positive stories. I'm due mine in two weeks and I'm not nearly as fit as you! Drank 3 times in the last 3 weeks not near 38 units each time though lol :p. I've been taking milk thistle and green tea since my ban last year and drinking a ton of water and not gonna drink now until test is done. I'm hoping this will suffice as I'm a normal person who drinks socially. Even had a blood test 3 weeks ago and that came up ok so fingers crossed.......Anyway well done mate it's made me feel a bit better! Dee x

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off