Employment and Volunteering.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Motorcycle

After a long ban I now have my licence returned and want to apply for jobs and voluntary work that involves driving. I'm keen to know anyone's experience, opinions and thoughts on how difficult/easy it is to get said work with a DR10 driving offence and the best way to approach prospective employers. Surely it will be an obstacle regarding vehicle insurance?

Many thanks.

My uncle used to do volunteer driving work for the hospital transporting patients to and from hospital although I'm pretty sure for anything like that you're gonna have to have a full clean driving lesson.

The news is not good I'm afraid, some people seem to be lucky but in my experience it's a nightmare. I lost my career when I got my "criminal record" and have been trying to find a job forever. It seems that everyone assumes I'm a hopeless alcoholic as soon as it's mentioned. The circumstances don't matter to most employers, the fact you have DR10 on your licence makes you a terrible person. Sorry to be so negative but this is what I have found. Good luck though, hope you have a better experience.

It depends on what career you are after. There are discrimination laws that prevent employers from discriminating agaisnt this kind of thing. Employers recruiting for driving jobs are obviously within their rights to not offer positions to people with driving offences. But unless they specifically ask you do not need to disclose any convictions and unless the job involves driving there is no real reason why this should effect your whole career....although it may well mean changing your career path slightly! Its only the end of the world if you allow it to be! :)

I understand what you are saying and aware I sounded negative :D my career was in the health sector and I was gaining my degree. I was told that a DD offence was a no go for the Uni never mind getting a job at the end of it. As for other jobs you are correct in saying it shouldn't make a difference but I was amazed how many now ask as a matter of course about a criminal record, regardless of what it's for. Even looking on line at shops for instance, they ask it early on and wont progress any further if answered yes. Not driving jobs, just bog standard shop work.

Yeah I have noticed this and Im half way through my degree at the moment and totally guttedas i know its going to be ten times harder to find things. At the moment i work in a call centre at the moment and everyone who comes in is CRB checked just for that however i dont think we would use this a fcator on if they got the job or not as it in no way involves driving...it is rubbish though and seems all in all such harsh penalties for people who are normally such upstanding members of the community, who make a silly (alcohol indiced) decision! Still I'm sure if we we're on the other side, a victim of a drunk driver for instance we would maybe have a different opinion, personally though i have to say for someone who blows not too far over, has an otherwise impeccable record and who case had no aggrevating factors i think the punishment is VERY hash! (and before anyone bites my head off this is just my own personal opinion - of which we are all entitled)

Thanks for the replies. I did go for an interview yesterday for a small company and the manager stated that there wouldn't be any driving. He also never asked about criminal convictions or driving offences. However, I feel I should be honest about my offence/record in case my application goes further as I don't want to be dismissed a couple of months down the line especially after relocating. I've also started volunteering for a farm/visitor centre and again I wasn't grilled about criminal convictions etc.

Fingers crossed.

Well it's noble that you want to be honest but be aware thet unless they specifically ask you to disclose it there are no laws against you not and they would not be able to dismiss you on those grounds. Im doing a HR qualification so I have a fair bit of knowledge on this kind of stuff. Good luck with the jobs! :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off