Drunk in Charge Query...Any Advice Appreciated

Convicted Driver Insurance

storm8509

Hello, I am asking for some advice on behalf of my dad. The whole story is a bit complicated but ill try my best to explain it.
Basically, 19 years ago my dad lost his license. He was arrested for being "drunk in charge" and was given a £200 fine and banned for 2 years. A few days ago he came across his old license which expired in 2001. He also found a reminder form that was sent out to him a while before his ban ended . Even though this form is years old can he just send it in and get a new license ?
Also would he now have to retake a driving test even though at the time the court never specified he had to ?

The second thing i wanted to ask was a query about his conviction and him actually losing his license in the first place.
On the day he lost his license he had been out at work and stopped in with a friend later that day. The lorry he was driving was parked up on the pavement outside his mates house. The woman across the road called the police because she saw the work lorry parked up and knew they were having a drink in the house. About two hours after the woman called the police they turned up at his friends house. During the two hours before the police arrived my dad had consumed the majority of a litre bottle of vodka. My dad was actually lying sleeping in a chair and the police actually woke him up to arrest him. When he told them he had no intention of driving the lorry and had planned to walk round home, which was literally not even 5 minutes walk away, they just ignored it. Should he ever have lost his license ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

Hello, I am asking for some advice on behalf of my dad. The whole story is a bit complicated but ill try my best to explain it.
Basically, 19 years ago my dad lost his license. He was arrested for being "drunk in charge" and was given a £200 fine and banned for 2 years. A few days ago he came across his old license which expired in 2001. He also found a reminder form that was sent out to him a while before his ban ended . Even though this form is years old can he just send it in and get a new license ?
Also would he now have to retake a driving test even though at the time the court never specified he had to ?

The second thing i wanted to ask was a query about his conviction and him actually losing his license in the first place.
On the day he lost his license he had been out at work and stopped in with a friend later that day. The lorry he was driving was parked up on the pavement outside his mates house. The woman across the road called the police because she saw the work lorry parked up and knew they were having a drink in the house. About two hours after the woman called the police they turned up at his friends house. During the two hours before the police arrived my dad had consumed the majority of a litre bottle of vodka. My dad was actually lying sleeping in a chair and the police actually woke him up to arrest him. When he told them he had no intention of driving the lorry and had planned to walk round home, which was literally not even 5 minutes walk away, they just ignored it. Should he ever have lost his license ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

I would advise requesting a D1 Pack - Application for a driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle here. I shouldnt think he would have to retake his driving test although he will have to provide a new photograph. You could contact the DVLA directly to clarify matters.

As for whether or not your father should have originally lost his driving licence all those years ago, the courts obviously thought so. In any case it is far too late to appeal against sentence and/or conviction.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off