The Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course

Convicted Driver Insurance

Drinkdriving.org

Staff member
This is the place to discuss everything to do with the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course which most drink drivers who are convicted get the opportunity to complete when they are sentenced for a drink driving related offence.

Completeing the course can reduce your driving ban by up to 25% and help reduce your car insurance premiums. It is designed to be educational, promoting safe and responsible driving with the aim of reducing re-offending.

Got a question about the drink driving rehabilitation course? Have you completed the course? Share your experience with others.

Discuss everything to do with the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course in this section of the forum.

i have just got an 18 month ban and the option to do the course, if i do the course what will it take my ban to? thanks

The court should have said what the reduction would be. It's usually 25% which would be four-and-a-half months off, but they may round it to whole months as my son got 4 months off an 18 month ban.

I agreed to do this course and was under the impression that I would be contacted about this but havent heard a thing in weeks - Can anyone advise what I should do? I'm not sure if I was given any contact details but I certainly have paperwork telling me to expect to be contacted by the relevant agency...?

I agreed to do this course and was under the impression that I would be contacted about this but havent heard a thing in weeks - Can anyone advise what I should do? I'm not sure if I was given any contact details but I certainly have paperwork telling me to expect to be contacted by the relevant agency...?

Find your nearest drink driving course provider. Contact them and they should have your details on file and will give you all the information you need regarding booking a place on a course.

If they do not have your details, then you need to contact the sentencing courts.

can this be right???

i live in stockport and the nearest center to me is Telford, 70 miles away???

They expect you to do this journey 3 or 4 times over the period of the course???

can this be right???

i live in stockport and the nearest center to me is Telford, 70 miles away???

They expect you to do this journey 3 or 4 times over the period of the course???

That is where their head office is based, course providers run courses in the areas they cover in a variety of different locations.

You need to contact them to find out exactly where the closest course to you is located and the dates which they are being run.

Whatever you do, don't drive there :D:D

Oh, and one more thing. Never, ever cite 'tea bagging' as something you are more likely to do drunk rather than sober. The memory of the idiot that said this, explaining what it meant to the two matronly ladies running the course will remain in my memory for longer than is healthy. What made it ten times worse was he was referring to his mates rather than lady friends.

That is where their head office is based, course providers run courses in the areas they cover in a variety of different locations.

You need to contact them to find out exactly where the closest course to you is located and the dates which they are being run.

thankyou........

Whatever you do, don't drive there :D:D

Oh, and one more thing. Never, ever cite 'tea bagging' as something you are more likely to do drunk rather than sober. The memory of the idiot that said this, explaining what it meant to the two matronly ladies running the course will remain in my memory for longer than is healthy. What made it ten times worse was he was referring to his mates rather than lady friends.

lol! absolute genius!........

Today was the first day of my course.

On the whole so far i`m finding it quite informative in regard to what drinks have what units etc.. and how long it takes for the body to eliminate those units.

BUT....when the guy leading the course started it by saying that he was an ex-cop and he was also guilty of drink driving whilst a serving officer but had never been caught...i didn`t know wether to laugh or call him a hypocritical ****!

my course is half full with people who seem genuinley remorseful and the other half with people who think having a couple of cans of stella in the morning is the only way to make their head "straight". Imbeciles.

i don`t like the course tutor because hes always to busy trying to get you to interact with other people rather than just doing what he`s there for which is to give us facts and figures so we can learn from our mistake. Why on earth would i want to share details about me with common as muck imbeciles that are on my course??

The course, i believe, has the potential to be good and prevent serious people from re-offending but also is just a way for others to brag how much they can drink before collapsing in a coma.

Some of the scrotes didn`t even now what date they had been charged or what reading they gave............in my opinion they just didn`t care.

Doesn't sound like much fun. Not looking forward to mine very much.

Out of interest, how many people are there in your course?

I have now done 2/3 of the course and think its excellent-i never knew how many units were in a drink or what sensible guidelines are.They show you how to calculate from what you drank and when what time your system will be clear of alcohol. I was really worried about feeling awkward but the course tutor is really nice,as are the other people.I thought i had got the wrong room at first because they didnt look like the sort of people who would drink and drive but then i suppose i dont either!there are some morons who are only interested in reducing their ban and finding out how much you can get away with drinking before driving when the message of the course is to totally seperate the two. I really think it should be part of the driving theory test as its the sort of information you wish you had known before,although sadly for all of us on the course it has come too late.definitely worth doing as long as you dont become a unit bore in the pub!

Right here we go, I do not condone drinking whatsoever, I was alcohol dependant and living with a nasty bitch who was trying to drive me out of our home so I didnt find out about the 6 credit cards and 30k of debt she had ran up, there we go thats out of the way.

I was the idiot who got in my car and drove home, I was followed to my front door and taken away, I dont recall what I blew but I had drank so much over a 4 month period even the hard stuff had no effect.

I was banned for 4 years fined £250.

I was given the chance to do the rehab course which I needed to have completed by November 2009, let me break down how it works out

Course £220
Trains £22 return x 4 (the nearest course is 67 miles away)
Driving licence application £95
Medical £96
Plus fuel to go the medical etc

and guess what I am still waiting for my licence, I should have been able to drive on January 25th 2010,

Between DVLA and South Durham Magistrates Court, its a total farce, non knew where my certificate was, they lost my application 3 times but the postal was cashed,very strange, its now May and I have been covered to drive but still no licence.

The course is great and everyone applying for a licence should attend one as part of getting a licence, it makes you think about what you are doing, its very interesting, as for the DVLA and the courts what a bunch of tits

Just thought I would add my two pennies worth about the rehabilitation course having just completed mine.

Overall it was worth doing due to the fact I get my ban reduced by 25%. However, while it is informative, 80% of the course was like a team building excercise with the person taking the course concentrating on getting you to interact with other members and do quizzes and talking about your offence and drink driving in general which i thought was a complete waste of time, I have to say I did not enjoy it one little bit. Some people will enjoy this but i would have preffered just studying the facts without all the group discussion, coffee and biscuits, it was more like a social event.

The information it does cover such as alcohol units and metabolism was useful and should be included in the standard driving test. Most people would be suprised at just how long alcohol stays in your system for and I think if it was covered in the standard driving test then incidents of people being caught 'the morning after the night before' would decline.

Now for the medical and licence application, I will be glad when its all done and dusted, I have my driving licence back and the whole experience is nothing but a distant memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 16 months into my 3 year ban I've found out that I can't do a driving rehabilitation course because I already did the DIDP (Drink Impaired Drivers Programme) which was issued by the courts. This particular programme isn't recognised by the DVLA apparently. I know each case is different but how come some offenders get the chance to take these rehab courses and others don't, is it due to the length of the ban; it is my 1st and only offence? My probation officer told me he knows cases that have done both the DIDP and a rehab course as this shows willing and a proactive attitude by the offender therefore reducing the chance of reoffending.

Alternatively I'll have to contact the court directly and see what happens. Anyone else been or is in a similar situation?

Cheers.

So am i right in thinking all this course is is a classroom? I work with sprits and alcohol 6 days a week so already know how many units are in different largers, wines ect, should be a peice of piss :) aslong as theres no maths because i cant do that :confused:?

i was to understand you got to have a go on a skidpan???

Dont worry i have been on forums for afew years so detect internet sarcasm rather well. Gutted! I was really looking forwards to that aswell! :(

Dont worry i have been on forums for afew years so detect internet sarcasm rather well. Gutted! I was really looking forwards to that aswell! :(

Blast, I was hoping you'd fall for it. Damn smiley gave me away.

Oh and yes, it's all in a classroom. Bonding, group hugs that sort of stuff.

I was frowned upon by the tutors for buying an alcosense machine to check my BAC levels. Apparently it is far wiser to input your previous nights alcohol intake into some sort of simultaneous quadratic equation to check to see if you're OK to drive.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off