conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

gabz86-2010

I have been charged for drink driving without a full U.K driving licence. I am a 23 year old teaching assistant living by myself. I have never been in trouble with the law before and am not entitled to legal aid but cannot afford a solicitor, so I am having to represent myself in court. I have been looking on line for help and advice as to what i do and where to go from here. I am worried that if I was to get a ban I would loose my job and also my home, as I would not be able to pay rent, bills e.t.c. I would like to know if a letter to the judge pleading leniency or hardship would help my sentence. I haven't a clue how to write such a letter, I wouldn't even know were to begin. A friend of mine is studying law at university and gave me a little advice and told me to make a plea of mitigation, is this a good idea? Also she told me to enquire about a drink rehabilitation programme to lessen the ban. Please can you help me ?

Why would you lose your job? Do you need to drive as part of your job?

My mate is a teacher and it didn't affect his job when he got done for DD. I'm a University Lecturer and it didn't affect mine, either.

I'd imagine if you did lose your job you would be able to appeal - because unless you need to drive as part of your job, DD wouldn't affect it.

Ive been online researching and ive not had a straight forward answer, certain people are saying i cant work with children now and i would have to declare it. Would it be frowned apon because ive put mine and other peoples lives at risk. It would also show up on a crb check.

You can mitigate all you like but it isn't really going to help you other than get you the lowest ban/fine in the band you happen to fall into. Basically you will lose license, just a mater of how long.

AFAIK, the only mitigation that can help is if you were driving drunk because your life was in danger or you were driving someone who is basically dieing to a hospital. There are other costly routes you can go down that involve solicitors but the way I see it is this drink driving stuff has pretty much been locked down over the years so there really isn't much leeway. Call a solicitor and chat for free and see what they say, they will advise you but they do lie so be careful.

Ive been online researching and ive not had a straight forward answer, certain people are saying i cant work with children now and i would have to declare it. Would it be frowned apon because ive put mine and other peoples lives at risk. It would also show up on a crb check.

It should appear on a CRB until it is a spent conviction which I think is after 5 years, on a more indepth CRB all convictions will appear whether spent or not. How being an idiot once effects your future working with kids I don't know but I would hope that the people you work for (if it is your one and only offense) would see that it was just a stupid one off. I don't know the ins and outs myself though so maybe there is some phrase saying "Any criminal conviction and you can't work with kids.".

All the above is just from my experience and research. Good luck and I hope it works out as best as it can.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off