HELP, i've ticked the wrong box!

Convicted Driver Insurance

JB0121

Hi Guys,

so here i go ...

I have not so long ago been to court to ask for the early reinstatement of my licence which was granted, i have since had a HRO medical examination & a CDT blood test ETC to which i called the DVLA & they gave me you results....

they have refused my licence for 12 months because I ''TICKED THE WRONG BOX'' apparently i ticked to say yes i have been alcohol dependant in the last 12 months or whatever the question was, i explained to the DVLA i ticked this in complete human error and that i haven't ever been dependant on alcohol (my CDT blood results were 0.6%) & all the other question relating to alcohol dependency were ticked as ''NO''.

i have no idea where to go from here!! i need my licence for work and it has left me in an awful position!

please help me out here guys!!

JB0121

Hi JBO

It's unfortunate you made a mistake and this can easily be rectified by the dvla medical complaints which I will try post latter,
Just need to ask if there anything on your GP records that might give the dvla cause for concern over the last 3 years ie dependandcy or misuse of alcohol or drug
They will have your GP's notes and would base there findings more on this information

Last edited:
Hi Craig121

thanks for responding!

No there is nothing at all whatsoever relating to alcohol or drugs, i won't bore you with the usuall stuff but i very rarely drink these days!

everything else was squeaky clean my bloods were 0.6% the rest of the questions were fine and the doctors report was fine, i just happened to tick the wrong box!

i have called the DVLA this morning and they have advised i need to get a letter off my doctor saying that i am not and have no history of alcohol dependency & i need to send that in with a cover letter explaining that i ticked the wrong box and they will 'consider it'

i'm just not sure where to go from here as they can;t give me an answer on weather they will pass my application once i send that in ( which i think is abit odd) and i need to let my employer know what the situation as this may result in me losing my job!

thanks Craig121

Well that's positive in my view they are at least listening and requesting GP's advice so at this point there's no need to make a complaint, I think it's possible for your GP to fax his findings which will speed the entire process up maybe someone can help in that department

thanks Craig.

I've been to my GP surgery and they have said i need to pay for private letter and it can take up to 2 weeks to process and send over (this is frustrating to say the least).

am i best of asking the GP to fax it over directly or passing it to me to send in ?

thanks alot

Jack

Yes m8t I've heard it's possible from previous posts for your GP to fax, you should lay it thick about your job being in risk and also your health with stress, hopefully someone can chip in with details of GP's using fax previously

i will do Craig but i'm abit suprised that i have to pay my doctor to write a letter and could potentially have to wait 2 weeks for it to be written!

i've pleaded with the DVLA but they have said they need my GP to confirm !

Honestly m8t be thankful there even prepared to listen to you & your GP at this crucial time, as the facts are they will already have your GP's copy of your medical report and based there findings? But it states no alcohol issues previously 3yrs then why the drama from dvla over a typo
But like I said there's been a few in your similar position been point blank denied so tread carefully.
Worst case recently the dvla were digging up a dependance issue from 20yrs ago and would not back down!

Last edited:
Honestly m8t be thankful there even prepared to listen to you & your GP at this crucial time, as the facts are they will already have your GP's copy of your medical report and based there findings? But it states no alcohol issues previously 3 then why the drama from dvla
But like I said there's been a few in your similar position been point blank denied so tread carefully.
Worst case recently the dvla were digging up a dependance issue from 20yrs ago and would not back down!

i know it's ust frustrating now falling at the last hurdle!

I had my medical with a DVLA registered doctor at a different practice, i have called the doctors surgery that i ha the medical with and explained the situation and they have spoken to the doctor who has said he will send a letter to them/ myself and will call me if he needs any clarity on what's required.

i hoping a letter from him will be enough as it's a 2 week wait at my own GP!

Am almost certain it needs to be your own GP this letter is required,
He's the only one that can testify of your medical history last 3yrs!
Get back on the phone to your own practice( infact get your partner/mum/dad back on the phone to your GP practice tell them you need a fast appointment your beside yourself with stress and unable to deal with things!! you may loose your job over a typo!
Loosing a job in many cases can be catalyst your family could easily also suffer if you lost employment lay it thick get an emergency appointment if your job relies on this licence.

I was told over the phone my GP could not be expected to carry out 2 Monthly blood checks free to prove my abstinence! to this day that secretary will regret saying that! My HGV dependent on my licence I walked in to the most gracious welcome with every promise under the sun(they seen my face)

Last edited:
so ....

i have called my doctors and i don' need/can't have an appointment because i only need a letter which i have to pay £30 for. i need to go any pay them before they can send it to be processed and the turn around on the letter is 2 weeks.

i have pleaded with them and explained that i need the letter in the next couple of days as i will lose my job if i dont have it and the only thing they said is ' show your employer that you've paid for a letter and your waiting for it to be actioned' and the doctors are '' not allowed to type it;s there secretaries''

this is appauling, i can't understand how it takes 2 weeks to write a letter! i have no idea where to go from here as i need to be able to drive in the next 2 -3 weeks

There's defo folks on here dealt with GP's and quick fax here's hoping someone will inform, otherwise your going to have to plead with employer

i'ts just been a nightmare, i will wait and see what the DVLA doctor does and hope that something goes to the DVLA, apart from that i have no option but to [ay £30 and wait yet another 2 weeks, my mrs is also due to have our 1st child 26th of this month so it's all pure Stress

Contact the dvla immediately, explain again and ask them to put your case on hold as you await further medical evidence. Confirm you have spoken to your doctors surgery and the time scale, this should do the trick as they await your medical letter. Get the email address from them and once you receive your letter screenshot and send it also photocopy letter and send them this as well, this worked for me 2 was ago. Don't panic...further evidence to EFTD@DVLA.GOV.UK

Hi Honestman

i have spoke to the DVLA when they told me my results on the phone & they have advised me to contact my GP for the letter and to send it in with a cover letter explaining hat has happened and they will try there best to push it through ASAP due to my situation with work ECT sop hopefully this does the trick!

Nice to hear I know it's stressful but on times you can communicate with them reasonably keep us posted JBO... by the way my letter was £15 and took about two weeks

my letter is £30...

i have just called the DVLA and they are now saying they don;t have access to my reading so i have no idea how someone else could see it and tell me what the Reading was. but he did say the only thing on the letter sent out to you was that there is evidence you have been alcohol dependant ( as i ticked the box) and nothing about any blood results so i'm assuming they were not an issue

UPDATE>>>

hi Guys, so...

as i raised a complaint i have just taken a call from the complaints team who have now told me basically it was pointless paying for a letter of my doctor as it doesn't make a difference as they are sending them a questionnaire to fill out ( as i stated before i have never been dependant on alchole what so ever so the question are won;t be an issue at all) howveer they have said 90% of cases are completed within 90 days!

does anyone know the rough timeframe of this & how i give my doctors surgey a shove to get this done ASAP ?

thanks alot guys

When they send a medical questionnaire to your gp there is a six week turnaround,so therefore it could be with the gp for six weeks, the only thing you can do is speak to the gp secretary find out which doctor it is with and explain your situ although they told me it would be another week or two, it's been with them since 15/8/19 and dvla have sent out a reminder......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off