Insurance Void after Drink & Drive Accident

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi All

Back in March 2012, I made a big mistake and had some drinks and drove. I then was involved in a collision and subsequently arrested. I got banned and fined. Now all that is over, 3 and half years down the road, I have just received a bill from the insurance company for £34000. There is now way I can afford this and I was under the impression the insurance company would pay for the other car but not my car.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi All

Back in March 2012, I made a big mistake and had some drinks and drove. I then was involved in a collision and subsequently arrested. I got banned and fined. Now all that is over, 3 and half years down the road, I have just received a bill from the insurance company for £34000. There is now way I can afford this and I was under the impression the insurance company would pay for the other car but not my car.

Thanks

You are correct in thinking that insurers are obligated to cover the costs incurred to any third parties that the insured is liable for under the The Road Traffic Act 1988.

Several insurers, however, do have a drink or drugs clause in the policy which states that while they will meet their obligation under the Road Traffic Act 1988. Under certain circumstances such as driving while over the prescribed legal limit, driving whilst unfit through drink or drugs or failing to provide a sample of breath, blood or urine; They will seek to recover from the policy holder or the driver, all sums paid out arising from the claim for the accident, including legal costs.

You may find this thread of particular interest

Hi All

Thanks

I'm currently going all through this now. Not looking to see the final outlay of what I'll receive. I injured three people. their car a right off. My car a write off owing £9k. The stupidest mistake ever made.

My DS (don't know how true) said they can wait and claim off you up to 6 years. He gave me advice stating not to buy a house within that timeframe, as they can obligate and take it off you.

I'm going to hate the day I receive this letter :-(

I think I am in the same boat. I have just been banned from driving after being in a collision, arrested and banned. I told the insurance company and I thought that was the end of it until I get my license back in 18 months and get stung by a high premium (which I deserve). To hear I can be hit with a bill a few years down the line has put the fear of God up me? No one was hurt during the accident. Any advice?

I think I am in the same boat. I have just been banned from driving after being in a collision, arrested and banned. I told the insurance company and I thought that was the end of it until I get my license back in 18 months and get stung by a high premium (which I deserve). To hear I can be hit with a bill a few years down the line has put the fear of God up me? No one was hurt during the accident. Any advice?

Hi m8,

Hopefully someone more qualified will be along shortly, in the meantime, get in touch with your insurance provider (at time of the accident) ask them:

(1) For the claim total? (You will need this for future insurance quotes in any case)

(2) If the claim is closed? (If it has been, it is not unreasonable to assume that both parties have been settled)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off