Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes

Convicted Driver Insurance Quoteline
Convicted driver insurance quote line owned and operated by MCE Insurance

Follow Drinkdriving.org on:


Follow Drinkdriving.org on Facebook Follow Drinkdriving.org on Google+ Follow Drinkdriving.org on Twitter
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 66
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

  1. #21
    price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Telford, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,725

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmegawatty View Post
    I have told you this before, Hill House Hammond insurance brokers.
    That doesn't help drink drivers now, for 2 reasons. Firstly brokers do not provide insurance cover, they source it from insurance companies, so we still do not not know the name of an insurance company that provides cheaper insurance. Secondly that is well out of date because Hill House Hammond went out of business 9 years ago. (Perhaps it was because they were offering silly quotes?) What was left was taken over by Aviva, and this is what they say on their website:

    Motorists who are convicted of drink-driving could find that the incident impacts upon their car insurance premiums in the long term, stated a spokesperson for ABI, although another consequence could include being unable to drive for a job.


    "One conviction of drink-driving could mean that many companies won't insure you, at best you'll find insurance very expensive [and] there's a financial cost to drink-driving as well as a social and a legal one," he added.


    http://broker.aviva.co.uk/news/artic...driving-costs/

    Telling people that there was a good deal to be had 26 years ago does not help drink drivers now.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    Quote Originally Posted by price1367 View Post
    That doesn't help drink drivers now, for 2 reasons. Firstly brokers do not provide insurance cover, they source it from insurance companies, so we still do not not know the name of an insurance company that provides cheaper insurance. Secondly that is well out of date because Hill House Hammond went out of business 9 years ago. (Perhaps it was because they were offering silly quotes?) What was left was taken over by Aviva, and this is what they say on their website:

    Motorists who are convicted of drink-driving could find that the incident impacts upon their car insurance premiums in the long term, stated a spokesperson for ABI, although another consequence could include being unable to drive for a job.


    "One conviction of drink-driving could mean that many companies won't insure you, at best you'll find insurance very expensive [and] there's a financial cost to drink-driving as well as a social and a legal one," he added.


    http://broker.aviva.co.uk/news/artic...driving-costs/

    Telling people that there was a good deal to be had 26 years ago does not help drink drivers now.
    How can drink driving now be any more serious than it was 26 years ago?
    The legal limit is the same as it was then so why should insurance premiums be much greater now?
    Seems to me to be a money making scam by insurance companies.
    Many paople think that insurance companies are there to provide a service. I think they only exist to
    make money.
    I also get the impression that huge insurance premiums for recent drink drivers implies that the insurance companies
    think that the punishment and any following courses are ineffective.
    Reading between the lines they are just using this to increase profits.

  3. #23
    price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Telford, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,725

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    Thisevening I have continued to try to find where insurance is cheaper after a drink driving ban, as claimed.

    in this first one for MSN cars:
    How much is a normal car insurance premium?


    The sample quotes looked at a range of different driving infringements for a 30-year-old male advertising account manager from Ipswich driving a five-year-old Ford Focus, analysing everything from minor speeding violations to serious offences, such as causing serious injury by dangerous driving.


    With a clean licence, this driver would pay 387 per year for his car insurance. How does that change with different motoring convictions?

    they found a 70% increase for a DR10 conviction. It is quite long, here is the link:


    http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/how-moto...-car-insurance


    this is from the comparison website tiger.co.uk. Which compares 130 insurance companies.
    they looked at a typical driver, firstly with no convictions, then the same driver with differing convictions, and they show the 3 best quotes in each case.
    a dr10 conviction resulted in a 76.9% increase in the premium:

    https://www.pressdispensary.co.uk/re...nvictions.html

    However, there could be some good news. If, for example, you want to lease a car, with insurance included in the agreement, then the premium might not be higher, but the excess would increase significantly.
    An example of this is the link below. If you work for the NHS (there will be other companies probably offering similar) then NHS Fleet Solutions will lease you a variety of cars from 158 per month (Peugeot 107) including insurance. The excess for a driver with no convictions is 250, with a DR10 this rises to 850, plus you have to take an education course that costs 280. The monthly cost, however, stays the same. I do not know what this course involves. Not so good for people under 23 and a DR10, because this then has to be referred to the insurance company for a decision on acceptance, or not.....
    the website say that they also offer this service to other Public Sector Organisations.
    If DR10 is your only conviction, exploring a company lease option could be very cost effective. Hopefully this will be of use to some visitors to the Forum.
    http://www.nhsfleetsolutions.co.uk/r...-handbook.aspx

  4. #24
    price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Telford, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,725

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmegawatty View Post
    How can drink driving now be any more serious than it was 26 years ago?
    The legal limit is the same as it was then so why should insurance premiums be much greater now?
    Seems to me to be a money making scam by insurance companies.
    Many paople think that insurance companies are there to provide a service. I think they only exist to
    make money.
    I also get the impression that huge insurance premiums for recent drink drivers implies that the insurance companies
    think that the punishment and any following courses are ineffective.
    Reading between the lines they are just using this to increase profits.
    There are some sites that have a place called the Flame Pit for comments like this, perhaps this Forum should adopt one as well.
    If you do not know what a 'Flame Pit' is, it is a place for rants and off topic posts.

    A legitimate question has been asked about the cost of insurance after a drink drive conviction. Some posters have tried to show, with sources quoted, what the impact of drink driving is on insurance rates. Others have made claims that they have not, and cannot, substantiate.... and then resort to simple griping about the insurance system, which contributes nothing to the question that has been posed. This is highlighted in the above quote saying that insurance companies should be there to provide a service, not to make money. At last we have agreement on something. I am sure as well that insurance companies are there to make money, like any other commercial business in this world. They do not appear to be too good at making money, however, despite the claim above. If you look at the link from the Daily Telegraph below, you will see that a spokesperson from Earnst and Young said that the car insurance industry overall has been making a loss for 2 decades:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...s-profits.html


    As to the courses being ineffective, insurance costs DO increase after a person has done a drink drive rehabilitation course, but by LESS than the increase for people who have not done a course. I know because we conduct test 'purchases' to verify that insurance brokers who say they offer beneficial rates to people who complete a course actually DO offer better rates. They offer this because people who attend courses have been PROVED to be caught drink driving much less often over the next several years than those who do not attend a course. (7% versus 18.6%, verified by The Transport Research Laboratory)

  5. #25
    Forum Moderator's Avatar
    Forum Moderator is offline Global Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    880

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmegawatty View Post
    How can drink driving now be any more serious than it was 26 years ago?
    The legal limit is the same as it was then so why should insurance premiums be much greater now?
    Seems to me to be a money making scam by insurance companies.
    Many paople think that insurance companies are there to provide a service. I think they only exist to
    make money.
    I also get the impression that huge insurance premiums for recent drink drivers implies that the insurance companies
    think that the punishment and any following courses are ineffective.
    Reading between the lines they are just using this to increase profits.
    An increase in insurance premiums is not another form of punishment. Insurance companies use a method known as 'Risk Selection and Analysis Criteria' in order to help determine exactly how much a motor insurance policy will cost. Part of this procedure is to examine a persons driving history including convictions. Having a drink driving conviction inevitably leads to insurance companies increasing the premium due to the fact they class drivers who have been convicted of driving with excess alcohol a higher financial risk. Every insurance company calculates the level of risk proposed differently which is why insurance premiums vary considerably between insurers and why comparing quotes and comparison systems are common.

    Quote Originally Posted by price1367 View Post
    There are some sites that have a place called the Flame Pit for comments like this, perhaps this Forum should adopt one as well. If you do not know what a 'Flame Pit' is, it is a place for rants and off topic posts.
    Flaming is actually prohibited on these forums, flaming is classed as hostile and insulting interaction between forum users. While you may not agree with the opinions of chiefmegawatty, there has been no evidence of 'flaming' on this thread.
    Last edited by Forum Moderator; 11-01-2013 at 12:56 PM.

    Regards
    Forum Moderator


    UK - UK Drink Driving Laws | Drink Driving Solicitors | Convicted Drivers Insurance | BAC Calculator | FREE Legal Advice | Latest News
    | Latest Info | Drug Driving

    U.S. - US DUI Drunk Driving Laws | US DUI Lawyers & Attorneys | SR22 Auto Insurance | BAC Calculator | FREE Lawyer Consultation

    International - Worldwide BAC Limits Maximum legal prescribed blood alcohol content limits for over 250 countries & jurisdictions

  6. #26
    price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Telford, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,725

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    I am sorry if I have misunderstood the term flame pit. I understood it was where replies that were simply moans and did not help a debate were moved to, or an area of a website to just complain about something rather than be constructive.
    I am not suggesting that any of the posts made on this thread were insulting or hostile. If that is the true interpretation of flaming then I apologise for suggesting that someone has done that.
    (At 60 years of age I accept that I do not always understand the latest terminology, I just looked on one other forum and that is what they called their off topic posts and moans. Having now looked at other forums, they agree with this sites' definition so I stand corrected)
    Forum Moderator likes this.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    Quote Originally Posted by price1367 View Post
    I am sorry if I have misunderstood the term flame pit. I understood it was where replies that were simply moans and did not help a debate were moved to, or an area of a website to just complain about something rather than be constructive.
    I am not suggesting that any of the posts made on this thread were insulting or hostile. If that is the true interpretation of flaming then I apologise for suggesting that someone has done that.
    (At 60 years of age I accept that I do not always understand the latest terminology, I just looked on one other forum and that is what they called their off topic posts and moans. Having now looked at other forums, they agree with this sites' definition so I stand corrected)
    Having thought about myself and my friends cheap re-insurance costs after a drink drive conviction, I wonder if the following
    may have had an influence on this.
    Both my friend and I had been driving for many years previously with no accidents, no convictions and full no claims
    bonuses. Just a thought.
    I also suepect that young drink drivers may be hammered far more by insurance companies compared to older drivers.
    Both my friend and I are getting uncomfortably close to 60 so I guess it's free bus pass time soon.
    What a scary thought!

  8. #28
    price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Telford, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,725

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    You are right to say that young drivers are hammered far more than older people. I have seen them quoted 5000 to insure an 'ordinary' car. I suspect that is not a real offer of insurance, it is the company saying : "we don't really want you."
    older people, however, still do see their premiums go up by 40% and more, even with no previous convictions. If you look at some of the quotes I listed before, some were for people in their 40's with no previous convictions.
    For people who get more than a 2 year ban, they also see their insurance rocket because no claims bonus only carries forward for 2 years, so if they have had a 3 year ban, and have been without insurance for that time, they get an increase that reflects 3 years of inflation, the cost of the DR10 and the loss of their no claims. That is why I always suggest that people downsize their type of car for a while, so the increase is only on a lower insurance group.
    I am looking to renew my insurance this weekend, I have arrived at 60, so ahead of you, (and to warn you, I found it a bit scary, taking stock of my life!) so I will do it online and see what a drink drive conviction would do to my insurance versus no convictions.
    Don't forget you also receive free prescriptions, that softened the blow a bit.........

  9. #29
    price1367 is offline TTC Group Associate Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Telford, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,725

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    So, here is the results of my insurance search.....
    i am currently with Swiftcover. They have sent me a renewal quote for 290.
    it is for a 1994 Audi 80 that my wife uses to go to and from work, and I own and use as well, as a second vehicle.
    7 years NCD on this policy, protected no claims. Remember, I am 60, my wife is 49.
    putting my details into comparethemarket.com, the best 10 quotes range between 131 to 147 (I do live in a rural area, which helps a lot!)
    when I add a DR10, from December 2012, 200 fine, 12 month ban with a reading of 50, the best 10 quotes range between 188 to 219
    the excess also rose from between 350 to 450 without a DR10 to 400 to 575 with a DR10
    This shows an increase of 40 to 60%, which is the figure that I said previously I warn people to expect.
    Incidentally, when I looked at the list of insurance companies that quoted, Swiftcover were offering insurance for me at 230, so much for customer loyalty when my renewal is 290! When I added the DR10 though, they did not appear on the list, so I can only conclude that they declined to quote.
    maybe people find insurance cheaper after a drink drive conviction because they then shop around, like I have just done. The top 20 quotes with a DR10 were cheaper than my quote for renewal now, so I am glad that I did this exercise and halved the cost of my insurance!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??

    Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by price1367 View Post
    So, here is the results of my insurance search.....
    i am currently with Swiftcover. They have sent me a renewal quote for 290.
    it is for a 1994 Audi 80 that my wife uses to go to and from work, and I own and use as well, as a second vehicle.
    7 years NCD on this policy, protected no claims. Remember, I am 60, my wife is 49.
    putting my details into comparethemarket.com, the best 10 quotes range between 131 to 147 (I do live in a rural area, which helps a lot!)
    when I add a DR10, from December 2012, 200 fine, 12 month ban with a reading of 50, the best 10 quotes range between 188 to 219
    the excess also rose from between 350 to 450 without a DR10 to 400 to 575 with a DR10
    This shows an increase of 40 to 60%, which is the figure that I said previously I warn people to expect.
    Incidentally, when I looked at the list of insurance companies that quoted, Swiftcover were offering insurance for me at 230, so much for customer loyalty when my renewal is 290! When I added the DR10 though, they did not appear on the list, so I can only conclude that they declined to quote.
    maybe people find insurance cheaper after a drink drive conviction because they then shop around, like I have just done. The top 20 quotes with a DR10 were cheaper than my quote for renewal now, so I am glad that I did this exercise and halved the cost of my insurance!
    Interesting stuff indeed. Well during 2012 my car insurance cost me 12.48 per month on a group 12 two litre car.
    My renewal this year was 42% higher with no explanation as to the huge increase.
    Maybe I am guilty of not shopping around but I accepted the increase because I still considered it to be very competitive
    anyway. I have had sevaral insurance companies write to me offering to beat my current premium. I phoned them all and none
    of them could compete with my current insurance premium.
    I have also noticed that as I get older my driving has become very gentle, very slow and very considerate of other drivers.
    I have no interest in speed as I did as a young man. I drive in a gentle defensive manner with total concentration on the road.
    I therefore realise that vastly reduced insurance premiums for older drivers do make sense.
    Interestingly, in the last three years I have been in two situations where a car is coming straight towards me on the
    wrong side of the road at considerable speed. On both occasions I tool quick evasive action to avoid a head-on collision.
    Despite these two occasions being around three years apart, the vehicles and drivers involved were connected by their
    employment. Can you guess who both drivers worked for?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tips to Lower Insurance after Conviction
    By cc2491 in forum Convicted Driver Insurance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-29-2014, 07:31 PM
  2. Cheaper insurance for cars with auto braking - Telegraph.co.uk
    By Latest News in forum General Motoring News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
  3. Insurance - the DD conviction details
    By Andyaustralian in forum Convicted Driver Insurance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 12:42 AM
  4. DUI Conviction and Insurance Rates - The Auto Insurance
    By Latest News in forum Drunk Driving - DUI - Latest News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 12:23 AM
  5. Could pay-as-you-go motor insurance be cheaper? - UK Net Guide
    By Latest News in forum General Motoring News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Thread Rating Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

The thread 'Insurance is 700 cheaper with a DR10 conviction??' has been rated 5.00 out of 5 by 4 registered forum members and 65 members have commented