Car insurance quote

Convicted Driver Insurance
I own land at Devizes in Wiltshire and was thinking about selling some of it to buy a car.
On the Tade-it website I found an Aston Martin DB7 for sale at £20,000 in perfect as-new condition with very low mileage. Being a convicted drink-driver I searched for an insurance quote expecting an enormous amount of money to insure a six litre 200 MPH beast.
Cheapest quote was £358.28 fully comprensive with a £500 excess.

I own land at Devizes in Wiltshire and was thinking about selling some of it to buy a car.
On the Tade-it website I found an Aston Martin DB7 for sale at £20,000 in perfect as-new condition with very low mileage. Being a convicted drink-driver I searched for an insurance quote expecting an enormous amount of money to insure a six litre 200 MPH beast.
Cheapest quote was £358.28 fully comprensive with a £500 excess.

Did you do the quote without the drink driving offence? If so, what was the difference quoted?

The car insurance questionaire was only interested in convictions within the past five years.
They never asked "have you ever been disqualified?".
My conviction is now 26 years old and I haven't had an accident in 39 years of driving.
Also I am quite old with an enormous no claims bonus.
However, I am still surprised how cheap the quote was for such a beast of a car.
Wouldn't cost much less to insure a Ford Mondeo.
The quote was for fully comprehensive insurance, not third party!
The repair costs for an Aston Martin are enormous compared to a Ford Mondeo.
Maybe the insurance company would simply write off the Aston if it was damaged hence
the low insurance quote.
There are some major snags with owning an Aston Martin.
Firstly, a major service at an Aston Martin Dealer is around £8000 !!
Secondly, filling the petrol tank costs around £250 !!
I could do the servicing myself and convert the car to LPG.
Another snag is the cost of spare parts. Aston's are rarely found in scrap yards!

The car insurance questionaire was only interested in convictions within the past five years.
They never asked "have you ever been disqualified?".
My conviction is now 26 years old and I haven't had an accident in 39 years of driving.
Also I am quite old with an enormous no claims bonus.
However, I am still surprised how cheap the quote was for such a beast of a car.
Wouldn't cost much less to insure a Ford Mondeo.
The quote was for fully comprehensive insurance, not third party!
The repair costs for an Aston Martin are enormous compared to a Ford Mondeo.
Maybe the insurance company would simply write off the Aston if it was damaged hence
the low insurance quote.
There are some major snags with owning an Aston Martin.
Firstly, a major service at an Aston Martin Dealer is around £8000 !!
Secondly, filling the petrol tank costs around £250 !!
I could do the servicing myself and convert the car to LPG.
Another snag is the cost of spare parts. Aston's are rarely found in scrap yards!

Your conviction is well spent now. I would be surprised if it would even affect you now, even if you did need to diclose it.

The advice tends to be (if anyone else is interested) if an insurer asks "have you ever been disqualified" then move on to another insurer that doesnt ask. They will all ask 'within 5 years' (or so) so no getting round that unfortunatly.

As for spare parts, they are much easier to find online even if shipped from abroard.

I frequently import spare parts for my MR2 and have them fitted at a local garage. Toyota wanted to charge me £750 to change some bearings which included the cost of importing them from Japan. I found them on a well known auction site for £60 and got them fitted for £50 :)

I do my own servicing too, its much cheaper.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off