Ban about to END - Insurance time......

Convicted Driver Insurance

albiarn

Hi everyone - so my 9 month ban is nearly up so its time for me to start looking at insurance.

A few things im wondering is -

When i knew i was gonna lose my license i called my insurer and said i didnt need insurance anymore. I have 5 years NCB - are they now gone?

Ive just got a new car so can i just call up and reinstate that insurance without mentioning the DR10 or will it go through a scan and will will find out i have it?

Im not saying im gonna do this im just curious as to if they will find out cause surely alot of people have done this before?

At the moment i cant find anything cheaper than like 4 grand including the DR10 over the internet which is obviously ridiculous who on earth can afford that.....

Any help would be awesome ! Thanks

Hi everyone - so my 9 month ban is nearly up so its time for me to start looking at insurance.

A few things im wondering is -

When i knew i was gonna lose my license i called my insurer and said i didnt need insurance anymore. I have 5 years NCB - are they now gone?

The majority of insurance companies will accept proof of any no claims discount as long as your previous insurance policy expired less than 2 years ago and your NCB/NCD is less than 2 years old. Some insurance companies may only accept proof of any no claims discount if it is less than 12 months old and some may accept proof of any no claims discount up to 3 years old.

Ive just got a new car so can i just call up and reinstate that insurance without mentioning the DR10 or will it go through a scan and will will find out i have it?

Im not saying im gonna do this im just curious as to if they will find out cause surely alot of people have done this before?

At the moment i cant find anything cheaper than like 4 grand including the DR10 over the internet which is obviously ridiculous who on earth can afford that.....

Any help would be awesome ! Thanks

You will have to take out a new insurance policy and any non disclosure of material facts such as relevant convictions can result in the insurance policy being voided by the insurance company altogether which in effect means there is no contract at all and you will not be insured. The insurance company can also keep the insurance premium and sue for damages if fraudulent concealment of relevant facts such as convictions are discovered.

An insurance contract is drawn up based on the utmost good faith of both parties involved which means you have a duty to disclose, accurately and fully, all facts material to the risk being proposed.

Thanks for replying....

The majority of insurance companies will accept proof of any no claims discount as long as your previous insurance policy expired less than 2 years ago and your NCB/NCD is less than 2 years old. Some insurance companies may only accept proof of any no claims discount if it is less than 12 months old and some may accept proof of any no claims discount up to 3 years old.

So based on that i will still have my 5 years NCB even though ive been disqualified for 9 months? It just seems odd because surely this is a new license i will get when i can drive again so wont they be gone or do i still state ive had a driving licence from the time i first passed - 5 years ago? So confused right now :\

You will have to take out a new insurance policy and any non disclosure of material facts such as relevant convictions can result in the insurance policy being voided by the insurance company altogether which in effect means there is no contract at all and you will not be insured. The insurance company can also keep the insurance premium and sue for damages if fraudulent concealment of relevant facts such as convictions are discovered.

An insurance contract is drawn up based on the utmost good faith of both parties involved which means you have a duty to disclose, accurately and fully, all facts material to the risk being proposed

Does this basically mean then that if i was to take out a new policy and simply deny the DR10 , i would be found out straight away and prosecuted for lying? Im really curious because ive spoke to a few people now who have said different but i dont want to risk something which could easily come back to haunt me but really dont want to shell out upwards of £4000 just on insurance , when you think about it that price is just crazy....

Albiaran, You state on insurance proposals that you have held a full licence since you passed your 1st driving test. If you do not tell them the truth about the DR10 you might as well lie through your teeth and say you are over 50, never had a conviction in your life, passed advance drivers course, the whole works. Because at the end of the day you will be driving without insurance anyway, so no point wasting money on just one significant lie.

How long ago was your conviction for the DR10? You certainly do not need to declare it after 5 years. What kind of car are you trying to insure? Perhaps if you downgraded your car and went for something in a lower insurance group the quotes may come down. Maybe consider getting a cheap low insurance car and just insure it 3rd party until the 5 years have passed!!! The NO claims bonus should continue to build up and in a few years time you will have 7 or 8 years no claims which is around the maximum. Then go and buy the car of your dreams and most insurance companies will give you a very competitive quote.

Hope the above helps.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off